Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What not prog band would've made the best prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What not prog band would've made the best prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 17:04
Split Enz. Maybe they don't qualify as they started out as a prog outfit, but since they became famous for their new wave stuff, I think they're worth considering. One could see traces of their prog roots in some of their pop work, particularly in their instrumentals and songs like Dirty Creature, Poor Boy, Semi-Detached, Giant Heartbeat and Log Cabin Fever.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 17:13
Van Halen

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 17:32
Dire Straits!
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 21:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

A few more: Men at Work, REM, The Cure, U2, Tears For Fears and the Fixx. A lot of eighties bands were just around in the "wrong decade" imo.  TongueLOL

I think this might apply to Orchestral Maneouvers in the Dark also. Albums like "Architecture and Morality" came very close to being considered prog. 

OMD eventually ended up traveling down the "radio freindly" route like so many others of that era, like Simple Minds as well as The Thomson Twins. 

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 18 2021 at 07:29
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 22:35
Without reading through all of the responses, i would say that many of the prog related acts on PA could've easily made fully fueled prog albums

Black Sabbath
David Bowie
Rainbow
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Talking Heads
Muse
Steve Vai

just to name a few

as for bands NOT on PA at all
hmmm.. 

Maybe

Tears For Fears
Velvet Undergrond
Tom Waits
Portishead
Sonic Youth
Pere Ubu
Stereolab
Blur
Xiu Xiu
DNA (and most no wave bands actually)
Tuxedomoon
Foetus
The Pop Group
Melt-Banana

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 23:01
The Buggles.

…is that cheating?
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 23:24
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

The Buggles.

…is that cheating?

As long as you don't mention Asia or GTR then you're good LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 02:09
I’ve not really been paying attention to this thread, but as I was posting a reply to Gary’s “very good year”, it occurred to me that a lot of the alternative rock that came out of the Pacific Northwest in the ‘90s had some pretty prog sensibilities (and I know two prog blogs that do count some of those bands as prog). Their music is often derided, but probably based upon familiarity only with the singles that gained the most airplay. A deeper dive into their albums reveals that there was a lot more to the music of many of these bands. So I would definitely put forward the following four “grunge” bands as being capable of making some first rate prog:

Alice in Chains
Screaming Trees
Soundgarden
Sunny Day Real Estate

Following on from that, the same could be said for some of the “Brit-Pop” bands. Again, people are often familiar only with the singles that gained the most airplay, which are often not truly representative of what the bands are capable of. I always loved Suede, but thought Blur weren’t for me, until someone “made” me listen to their albums. When I finally did, I realised what I had been missing. I’m still not much of a fan of many of their singles, but I love almost all of their albums (their debut has never grabbed me, but they hadn’t yet found their own sound, and weee still following the “baggy” trend of the successful British bands of the day). Suede’s last two albums have been very highly praised by several prog sites, as they reassess a band they once dismissed.

For me, Suede and Blur are no more or less prog than Radiohead and Mansun. Pulp are nowhere near as prog-ready as the aforementioned three, but I definitely think Jarvis could write some first rate prog if he felt like it. There’s enough eclecticism and experimentation in Pulp’s sound to make me believe that, even if it’s not used in a prog manner, it could be if they were so inclined.

Back to America, and in a similar vein to the “Britpop” bands, Garbage could probably make a prog album. They haven’t come close, but they could do it, I’m sure. Then there are artists like Doug Martsch (Built to Spill) and Mark Eitzel (solo/American Music Club), who could probably easily write an intriguing and enjoyable prog album. They aren’t prog by any stretch of the imagination - but they could be!

On the other hand, Extreme came close (and some would probably argue that they are prog), but perhaps stayed too close to the accessible and mainstream for a lot of people to consider them prog. (They’re definitely more prog to me than something like Asia.) Keeping in that metal zone, the much reviled Guns n’ Roses could do prog, if they all wanted to, but while some of their members tend towards the grandiose and bombastic, others like to K.I.S.S. Jane’s Addiction is another band that could have gone full-on prog, if they felt like it.

Across the border, bands like I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace prog pretty much as The Tea Party. One of them is here, while the other two aren’t. They’re all about as prog as each other to me. Maybe even Moist, at a push. They’re not so obviously capable of prog (to me), but David Usher’s solo albums show a greater variety of sounds, so I don’t think it’s an impossibility to think Moist could make a decent fist of a prog album. Perhaps I might add .moneen. to this list.

Just like “grunge”, there are a lot of “nu-metal” bands that could easily be prog. Some are almost “prog-ready” and some are nothing like it - but definitely show signs that they could be. Bands like Faith No More, Korn and System of a Down.

Finally, in the vein of Bowie, I think Iggy Pop and Lou Reed could easily be prog if they felt like going fully in that direction.

I haven’t read any posts on this thread before commenting, so I suspect that several (possibly even all?) of the bands I’ve suggested here, may already have been suggested.  In fact, I even hope that is the case, because that means some people share my thoughts.

(I could definitely add more bands and artists, but I’m aware of how long this post is already. And I’ve also deliberately left out some artists in each of the above “categories”, to see if anyone says “what about….?”)

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 02:14
Listening to the extremely sophisticated arrangements/songwriting on Curtis Mayfield's Super Fly OST (or Curtis mm...), Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (or his Trouble Man OST), The Temptations "psychedelic soul-rea" - and I could add a lot more soul/funk-artists... I think of it as just another approach to creating progressive music. They would have made excellent "prog rock" if they wanted to.

Fleetwood Mac, Thin Lizzy, Heart, Sparks most profilic 1970's bands surely could if they would but chose a different path...

The combined talents of Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas - I mean if you listen to her full albums, it's already progressive (in a Radiohead sort of way). And she can rock out too, if she wants to.

The Unthanks, Michael Kiwanuka, Inflo (the "brain" behind Sault... I think + producer for Cleo Sol, Adele, Little Simz + Kiwanuka...)

- but I'm more thn happy with what they are doing

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 02:19
Originally posted by Philchem8 Philchem8 wrote:

Split Enz. Maybe they don't qualify as they started out as a prog outfit, but since they became famous for their new wave stuff, I think they're worth considering. One could see traces of their prog roots in some of their pop work, particularly in their instrumentals and songs like Dirty Creature, Poor Boy, Semi-Detached, Giant Heartbeat and Log Cabin Fever.

I’ve always equated the Enz with Genesis and Queen. All three are no more or less prog to me than the others. All three were more overtly prog in their early years/albums (generally in the ‘70s) even during their more mainstream and accessible “pop” years (generally in the ‘80s), there was still plenty of prog still there. It was merely less obvious, and all three have had their later work compared unfavourably with their earlier work because of it. Conversely, all of them had far greater commercial success with their less overtly prog sound - although Queen and the Enz did fare better on the charts with their earlier material than Genesis.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 02:21
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

...it occurred to me that a lot of the alternative rock that came out of the Pacific Northwest in the ‘90s had some pretty prog sensibilities (and I know two prog blogs that do count some of those bands as prog). Their music is often derided, but probably based upon familiarity only with the singles that gained the most airplay. A deeper dive into their albums reveals that there was a lot more to the music of many of these bands. So I would definitely put forward the following four “grunge” bands as being capable of making some first rate prog:

Alice in Chains
Screaming Trees
Soundgarden
Sunny Day Real Estate

I might well be derided myself for this but I would add Pearl Jam to that list.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 02:25
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

...it occurred to me that a lot of the alternative rock that came out of the Pacific Northwest in the ‘90s had some pretty prog sensibilities (and I know two prog blogs that do count some of those bands as prog). Their music is often derided, but probably based upon familiarity only with the singles that gained the most airplay. A deeper dive into their albums reveals that there was a lot more to the music of many of these bands. So I would definitely put forward the following four “grunge” bands as being capable of making some first rate prog:

Alice in Chains
Screaming Trees
Soundgarden
Sunny Day Real Estate

I might well be derided myself for this but I would add Pearl Jam to that list.

Not by me. They were one of the “what about…” bands I deliberately left out, to see if someone would bite. I originally had them listed, but figured it would be more fun to leave them out.

I absolutely, totally, definitely believe PJ could make an excellent prog album. It may not have been apparent with Ten, but subsequent albums have shown it is easily within their capabilities. (My favourite PJ albums, by the way, are Riot Act and Binaural.)

I also looked back, and realised I have contributed to this thread more than I thought. I seem to have posts on every page, and had already suggested Blur (along with Duran Duran, Lorde, and others….)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 02:38
Their latest "Gigatron" is well worth a listen too.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 02:56
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Their latest "Gigatron" is well worth a listen too.

I’ve not heard it yet, but it’s only because there’s been so much good music that I haven’t had time. Given there’s not a PJ album I don’t like, I know I will like Gigatron, too.

What’s your favourite PJ off-shoot? There are so many (and several which are rather proggy), but my favourite is probably Stone Gossard’s “Bayleaf” album.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 03:07
Kate Bush!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 04:02

What’s your favourite PJ off-shoot? There are so many (and several which are rather proggy), but my favourite is probably Stone Gossard’s “Bayleaf” album.

I havn't had that much to do with any off-shoots, except maybe "Mad Season", which Mike McCready was part of.

The only other thing that comes to mind is Eddie Vedders soundtrack to "Into the Wild".

Eddie Vedders "Long Road" is one of my favorite songs also.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 18 2021 at 04:04
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 05:37
I think "Guitar God" would make a good subgenre on PA.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 07:34
Another band who I think could slip in here is Heart.

Their first two albums, particularly their debut "Steamboat Annie" had very definite prog leanings and at times even sound like a proto Nightwish without the bombast.

That was until they decided to fall into power ballad land.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 08:04
Very cool thread that I'd never seen/heard about until now. 

I agree with everybody's suggestions but then would have to add that, to me, I've considered all of these bands as proggy all along. 

I've not seen mentioned XTC and any and all Trevor Horn produced bands (Seal, Frankie, Propaganda, ABC, Art of Noise, etc.) or Cocteau Twins and all 4AD label mates, Jesus and Mary Chain, Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, so many African bands, like Fela and Sunny Adé and Hamzi El Din; so many form India including: Ravi Shankar, V. Shankar, Ali Akbar Khan, Zakir HusseinThe Gipsy Kings, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Antônio Carlos Jobim, Al Kooper, Ry Kooder, Garth Brooks, Amy Grant (with Neal Morse), The Eagles, Al Stewart, Steve Miller, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Peter Schilling, Nina Hagen, M(artha) & M(uffins), Gang of Four, Falco, The Wiener Sangerknaben, Hildegard von Bingen, Thomas Tallis, Palestrina, Vivaldi, Fauré, Satie, for sure Brahms, Ralph Vaughn Williams, Elgar, Britten, & Delius, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, even J.S. Bach and Franz Joseph Haydn would've tried at least and album or two if they could've.   

Glad to see some R&B bands mentioned: Stevie, the Isleys, Alicia Keys. I'd add Prince, Marvin Gaye, Barry White, The Temptations, Gil Scott-Heron, Quincy Jones

Glad to see Fields of Nephilim and The Cure getting some love. Souixie could've probably done it, as well. She's the one I would have loved to see do The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Man! That was fun! I could go on! (I've got a very vivid and wild imagination.)…

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 08:45
I always consider AOR as kind of a prog-lite so bands like Night Ranger, Boston, The Tubes, and prog-related bands like Journey and Styx.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>