Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What not prog band would've made the best prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What not prog band would've made the best prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 09:08
David Bowie (on PA as Prog Related) 1.Outside is a fully fledged Prog album IMO
the Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Magazine
Japan/Rain Tree Crow (on PA as Prog Related/Crossover Prog respectively)
Wall of Voodoo
Devo
John Cale (on PA as Prog Related)
Nick Drake
Judie Tzuke
Dory Previn
Thunderclap Newman
Prefab Sprout
Don Shinn
Tears for Fears
XTC
Joe Jackson (he's written a symphony so why not?)
Esperanza Spalding
Kenner
Aphex Twin (he did an EP using just the Yamaha GX1 uber Synth)
Durutti Column
Mort Garson
Van Dyke Parks
Django Bates
Sungazer

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 18 2021 at 09:49
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 09:47
Elton John
The Shins
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Jesus and Mary Chain

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 20 2021 at 08:11
Philchem8 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 10:28
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Philchem8 Philchem8 wrote:

Split Enz. Maybe they don't qualify as they started out as a prog outfit, but since they became famous for their new wave stuff, I think they're worth considering. One could see traces of their prog roots in some of their pop work, particularly in their instrumentals and songs like Dirty Creature, Poor Boy, Semi-Detached, Giant Heartbeat and Log Cabin Fever.

I’ve always equated the Enz with Genesis and Queen. All three are no more or less prog to me than the others. All three were more overtly prog in their early years/albums (generally in the ‘70s) even during their more mainstream and accessible “pop” years (generally in the ‘80s), there was still plenty of prog still there. It was merely less obvious, and all three have had their later work compared unfavourably with their earlier work because of it. Conversely, all of them had far greater commercial success with their less overtly prog sound - although Queen and the Enz did fare better on the charts with their earlier material than Genesis.

Interesting comparison. I would add that the prog music of these 3 bands shared a strong theatrical element. But I think the comparison only goes so far and may be influenced by your perspective from down-under. Firstly, I think you would agree that Split Enz's prog period was rather short (1975-1977) and at the most consisted of 3 albums, as compared to 1970-77 for Genesis and 7 albums. More importantly, outside New Zealand and Australia, Enz was relatively unknown during their prog years and the rest of the world only became aware of them when they moved into new wave. Even in Canada, where the Enz were quite successful in the early 80s, their prog albums unfortunately remained little known (though I think they were great). Queen was obviously much more successful worldwide from 74-75, while Genesis started to become a major act in the UK, parts of Europe and later Canada in the early to mid-70s. Starting with 1972's Foxtrot, all their albums reached at least the top 12 in the UK charts and became Gold or more in Italy, France, the US and Canada (among others). Though admittedly, in the US they were more of a cult act than in these other countries. No doubt, Genesis had more commercial success when they moved to the mainstream but I think they are still recognized throughout the world as much (if not more) for their prog rock music than for their mainstream hits. That's why I see Split Enz more as a pop-rock band, while I see Genesis mainly as a prog band that moved into pop-rock, and Queen somewhere in the middle.
Still, I take your points and also find interesting all the other bands you have identified in your posts.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 10:45
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Very cool thread that I'd never seen/heard about until now. 

I agree with everybody's suggestions but then would have to add that, to me, I've considered all of these bands as proggy all along. 

I've not seen mentioned XTC and any and all Trevor Horn produced bands (Seal, Frankie, Propaganda, ABC, Art of Noise, etc.) or Cocteau Twins and all 4AD label mates, Jesus and Mary Chain, Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, so many African bands, like Fela and Sunny Adé and Hamzi El Din; so many form India including: Ravi Shankar, V. Shankar, Ali Akbar Khan, Zakir HusseinThe Gipsy Kings, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Antônio Carlos Jobim, Al Kooper, Ry Kooder, Garth Brooks, Amy Grant (with Neal Morse), The Eagles, Al Stewart, Steve Miller, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Peter Schilling, Nina Hagen, M(artha) & M(uffins), Gang of Four, Falco, The Wiener Sangerknaben, Hildegard von Bingen, Thomas Tallis, Palestrina, Vivaldi, Fauré, Satie, for sure Brahms, Ralph Vaughn Williams, Elgar, Britten, & Delius, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, even J.S. Bach and Franz Joseph Haydn would've tried at least and album or two if they could've.   

I personnally think there are two things being constantly conflated. Progressive music and Prog.

Progressive music is a little easier to recognise. It is any music that progresses music.

Prog is a castle built on shifting sands that changes according to whoever is looking at it.

But I guess that applies to just about anything.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 11:22
Grandaddy

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 13:58
Some of these should be already in but....

Ultravox
John Foxx
Simple Minds
Magazine
Yello
Thomas Dolby
Gary Numan
William Orbit
In the Nursery
Delerium
Alphaville
Icehouse
Pat O"Hearn
Telex
Enigma
Mick Karn 
Robin Trower 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 14:41
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Nick Drake
That is one I find difficult to envisage - prog, and indeed rock in general, seem pretty alien to Drake's aesthetic to me. Hard to know, of course, what he might have become if he'd received more effective treatment for his depression and drug dependency and been able to survive his twenties. But if one could trace any development in his work, I think the music became simpler and sparser over time.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 23:29
Arctic Monkeys.....I reckon Alex Turner would actually try something like prog...he's done Scott Walkeresq albums as The Last Shadow Puppets; so why not prog?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 00:31
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Nick Drake
That is one I find difficult to envisage - prog, and indeed rock in general, seem pretty alien to Drake's aesthetic to me. Hard to know, of course, what he might have become if he'd received more effective treatment for his depression and drug dependency and been able to survive his twenties. But if one could trace any development in his work, I think the music became simpler and sparser over time.

I can see what you mean with regards the increasingly minimalist format but his harmonic language, guitar playing and exploitation of unusual alternative tunings were all still developing right up to the end and leave most traditional folk reference points way behind in terms of their sophistication. His final 3rd album was the only one where it's just his vocal and the guitar but the music doesn't strike me as being any simpler than before. Most reviewers at the time found Drake difficult to pigeonhole as many opined he was 'too jazzy to be folk' and 'too folky to be jazz'. The arrangements for string section and accompaniment by various members of Fairport Convention and John Cale indicate his songs had sufficient substance and depth to survive and be enhanced in a group/communal setting. Again, as you state, it's really a case of what if?

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 19 2021 at 00:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 00:47

Most reviewers at the time found Drake difficult to pigeonhole as many opined he was 'too jazzy to be folk' and 'too folky to be jazz'. 

This reminds me of John Martyn, a contemporary and good freind if Nick Drake, to whom he dedicated "Solid Air".

I don't know if Martyn has been mentioned yet but he definitely belongs in the folk/ jazz prog category.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 19 2021 at 00:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 01:07
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Most reviewers at the time found Drake difficult to pigeonhole as many opined he was 'too jazzy to be folk' and 'too folky to be jazz'. 

This reminds me of John Martyn, a contemporary and good freind if Nick Drake, to whom he dedicated "Solid Air".

I don't know if Martyn has been mentioned yet but he definitely belongs in the folk/ jazz prog category.

Yes, John Martyn is here on PA under Prog Folk

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4939

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 01:17

Yes, John Martyn is here on PA under Prog Folk

That is a well considered and appropriate entry.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 14:53

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Nick Drake
I can see what you mean with regards the increasingly minimalist format but his harmonic language, guitar playing and exploitation of unusual alternative tunings were all still developing right up to the end and leave most traditional folk reference points way behind in terms of their sophistication. His final 3rd album was the only one where it's just his vocal and the guitar but the music doesn't strike me as being any simpler than before. Most reviewers at the time found Drake difficult to pigeonhole as many opined he was 'too jazzy to be folk' and 'too folky to be jazz'. The arrangements for string section and accompaniment by various members of Fairport Convention and John Cale indicate his songs had sufficient substance and depth to survive and be enhanced in a group/communal setting. Again, as you state, it's really a case of what if?
I wouldn't really disagree with any of that, and the fact that he ended up working just with his own voice and guitar may well have had more to do with this increasing alienation than a particular desire to simplify. I personally doubt he'd have ended up going in a rock direction if he'd pulled through, but indeed who knows.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 19 2021 at 14:55
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 07:16
I know they are included here as crossover (for the first two albums at least) but I always felt that Roxy Music could have gone full on prog (possibly eclectic?) had Brian Eno remained as the resident knob twiddler.

For me they went a tad too mainstream after 'For Your Pleasure'.

Edited by Progishness - December 29 2021 at 10:11
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 10:12

Judie Tzuke

YES!!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 16:05
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Judie Tzuke

YES!!!

The title track from the album Sportscar comes immediately to mind
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 16:10
Alice Cooper.  

Their opus "Halo of Flies" is but one example of the possible prog brilliance of the original band. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 16:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Alice Cooper.  

Their opus "Halo of Flies" is but one example of the possible prog brilliance of the original band. 
Great example with "Halo". Actually, they had several compositions that ran one into another with an emphasis on what Frank Zappa would refer to as "conceptual continuity". Like this from Love It To Death....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 19:40
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Actually, they had several compositions that ran one into another with an emphasis on what Frank Zappa would refer to as "conceptual continuity". Like this from Love It To Death....

I'm presuming given the video comes up as unavailable that you are referring to "Second Coming/ Ballad of Dwight Fry/ Sun Arise".

This tryptich is one of the best things done by Alice as a band or solo IMHO.

Btw, "Sun Arise" was co-written by Rolf Harris.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 21:14

Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Judie Tzuke

YES!!!

The title track from the album Sportscar comes immediately to mind

I'm only really familiar with the three albums she released on the Rocket label, and always felt we never quite got the best of her, almost as if the record company didn't really know what to do with her.

Edited by Progishness - December 29 2021 at 21:27

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>