Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ranking Led Zeppelin's 8 Studio Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 09:26
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ It's a magnificent album--  'Fool in the Rain' is a great track and 'Hotdog' is fun, it shows off their working-musician background and mastery of studiocraft.
I picked up a cassette of the album in Mexico when it came out. The title was spelled In Thregw The Outdoor. Think it was booted? I don't think it's a bad album, just not good enough to be number 1 on anyone's list.
That's a fairly snap judgement of an album every high school kid secretly listens to when ZoSo is over and everyone's gone home.   And for lifelong fans it is a breath of fresh air after years of Heartbreaker, Going to California, and Kashmir.

I can see it becoming someone's Number 1 ... eventually.

What snap judgement? I lived with the album for 3 months. It sucked. Btw, I was out of high school in 1966. LOL

Not a fan of Up the Down Escalator, never was. A few decent songs. That's it. Most of it is forgettable. I usually listen to Physical Graffiti or Presence these days. I'm not as ancient as old fart Steve since I graduated in 1978, but I believe I know what's what when it comes to Zeppelin, and their last album is not up to snuff.
The best test is to play Door To The Outhouse right after any of the first 5 Zep albums and see how it fails to compare.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 11:49
Maybe someday you guys will see the big picture when it comes to Zep.   Maybe not.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 12:25

Maybe someday you guys will see the big picture when it comes to Zep.   Maybe not.

I know far more about the "big picture" regarding that album than you do. Bonham was battling booze, Page was strung out on heroin, Plant was still mourning the death of his child, and that left JP Jones to piece together the album (meaning the keyboard sections override just about everything on some tracks). ITtOD lacks the energy and drive of previous albums. It's Zeppelin without balls. If I never hear it again, I shall not miss it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 12:28
I think it's their worst, but still pretty listenable and inoffensive at worst. It seems like a pretty reasonable opinion to have it towards the bottom, coming off of what I think was their peak with 4-Houses-PG it just doesn't quite match up for me.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 12:46

I know far more about the "big picture" regarding that album than you do. Bonham was battling booze, Page was strung out on heroin, Plant was still mourning the death of his child, and that left JP Jones to piece together the album (meaning the keyboard sections override just about everything on some tracks). ITtOD lacks the energy and drive of previous albums. It's Zeppelin without balls. If I never hear it again, I shall not miss it.

Regardless of what was going on in the band members' personal lives, they managed to put together a forward-focused, energetic, life-affirming album that has stood the test of time (unlike, say, their first four albums). 

"Fool in the Rain" , "Carouselambra" "lacking energy and drive"???
"In the Evening" "without balls"?????
The awe-inspiring guitar solo in "I'm Gonna Crawl" "without balls"???????

If I never hear the first album ever again, I shall not miss it. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 12:50

No matter how you try to justify it David, Outdoor is better off on the small screen with the plug pulled out.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 13:33
No justifying.  I know it's a great album.  The band knows it's a great album.  That's all I need.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 14:08
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Regardless of what was going on in the band members' personal lives, they managed to put together a forward-focused, energetic, life-affirming album that has stood the test of time (unlike, say, their first four albums). 

The best quote I've ever heard is that the album should be considered "Lite Zeppelin".  

I had to do a double take when you said ITTOD "stood the test of time", while LZ's first four albums did not. Whether you are talking to Led Zeppelin fans in general, reading critical reviews or comparing aggregate lists on the internet, the first four albums (and throw in HoH and Physical Graffiti) are routinely listed as LZ's best in one order or another, and not only that they are considered among the greatest rock albums of all time.

You know, things like RateYourMusic, 1001 albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as well as the greatest lists from Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, Mojo, Classic Rock, NME, Guitar World, etc. One would think that In Through The Out Door, if it did indeed "stands the test of time", would at least get on a list somewhere....anywhere; alas, not one asterisk, not one note, not one list. It is generally considered Zeppelin's worst.

I'm glad you love the album. Really, I am. However, let's not confuse your personal likes for objective reality.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 01:58

The best quote I've ever heard is that the album should be considered "Lite Zeppelin".  

I had to do a double take when you said ITTOD "stood the test of time", while LZ's first four albums did not. Whether you are talking to Led Zeppelin fans in general, reading critical reviews or comparing aggregate lists on the internet, the first four albums (and throw in HoH and Physical Graffiti) are routinely listed as LZ's best in one order or another, and not only that they are considered among the greatest rock albums of all time.

You know, things like RateYourMusic, 1001 albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as well as the greatest lists from Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, Mojo, Classic Rock, NME, Guitar World, etc. One would think that In Through The Out Door, if it did indeed "stands the test of time", would at least get on a list somewhere....anywhere; alas, not one asterisk, not one note, not one list. It is generally considered Zeppelin's worst.

I'm glad you love the album. Really, I am. However, let's not confuse your personal likes for objective reality.
Perfectly put. I don't have a problem with Outdoor being someone's favourite Led Zep album, it's a good album, but to say it's stood the test of time when the first four haven't is clearly wrong. 
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 11:26
Zoso
Physical Grafitti
Houses of the holy
In through
Prescence - although Achilles is my fav Zep track.

Edited by Earl of Mar - February 09 2021 at 11:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 12:17

Yeah I don't think so.   I've been a diehard fan for thirty-five years, own countless bootlegs, and used to track the band's touring schedule just for fun.   But let's not show our penis size.   Sure they were strung-out, Plant had been wounded in all kinds of ways, and it was up to Jones to make this session happen... and he did an amazing job.

I would add that the album, thanks to Page's stellar production and Jones' inspired arrangements, is probably their best sounding release.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 07:24

Yeah I don't think so.   I've been a diehard fan for thirty-five years, own countless bootlegs, and used to track the band's touring schedule just for fun.   But let's not show our penis size.   Sure they were strung-out, Plant had been wounded in all kinds of ways, and it was up to Jones to make this session happen... and he did an amazing job.

I would add that the album, thanks to Page's stellar production and Jones' inspired arrangements, is probably their best sounding release.

Meh. I prefer the sound of Physical Graffiti, and the remaster on the 2015 Deluxe Edition is even better. Never cared for the keyboards being brought to the front on ITTOD, particularly when Jones seemed to get too enamored with his brand new Yamaha synth. The flitty sound in spots sounds like he's playing a Casio. Totally jarring and detracts from otherwise solid songs.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 10 2021 at 07:27
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 07:40
Physical Grafitti
I
III
Houses of the Holy
In Through The Outdoor
II
IV
Presence
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:49
Why is Coda not counted? It is a studio release. It's nature is dynamic which makes it unique. It's was once 30 mins, now is an hour and a half long. Even features Led Zeppelin without Led Zeppelin, no easy task.

Just to add fuel to the ITTOD Fire (an ITTOD outtake that big picture readers should know) how about those tracks that were omitted due to vinyl limitations? Wearing and Tearing's powerhouse energy, Darlene's zip and wit, the near non-song Ozone Baby classed up by a lyrically challenged but outstanding vocal tune from you know who. ITTOD ran the gamut of styles while other bands strived for one.

It didn't play to pop culture dictates and was resented for it. Outstanding in that regard as well.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 19:27
I
Physical Graffiti
III
IV
Presence
Outhouse
II
Holy Moly

Not to say I dislike any of these - all of them have varying degrees of greatness.
The last 2 earned their spot merely by containing the few Zep tracks I’ve really come to dislike (and The Crunge is not one of them)

Edited by HolyMoly - February 12 2021 at 19:29
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 21:57
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I
Physical Graffiti
III
IV
Presence
Outhouse
II
Holy Moly

Not to say I dislike any of these - all of them have varying degrees of greatness.
The last 2 earned their spot merely by containing the few Zep tracks I’ve really come to dislike (and The Crunge is not one of them)

Dyer Maker and Thank You?
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 12:39
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Why is Coda not counted? It is a studio release. It's nature is dynamic which makes it unique. It's was once 30 mins, now is an hour and a half long. Even features Led Zeppelin without Led Zeppelin, no easy task.

Just to add fuel to the ITTOD Fire (an ITTOD outtake that big picture readers should know) how about those tracks that were omitted due to vinyl limitations? Wearing and Tearing's powerhouse energy, Darlene's zip and wit, the near non-song Ozone Baby classed up by a lyrically challenged but outstanding vocal tune from you know who. ITTOD ran the gamut of styles while other bands strived for one.

It didn't play to pop culture dictates and was resented for it. Outstanding in that regard as well.

I didn't include Coda among the "original 8" simply because it is technically a compilation album of outtakes from a variety of album sessions. Yes, that charge could also be levied against Physical Graffiti, but that album also features a lot of newly recorded material. 

Thanks also for your thoughts on ITTOD. I wouldn't have minded if "Ozone Baby" had replaced "Hot Dog".
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:58
Tough one..

From best to least best..

Houses of the Holy
IV
Presence
III
Physical Graffiti
II
I
In through the Out door
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 00:36

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

I didn't include Coda among the "original 8" simply because it is technically a compilation album of outtakes from a variety of album sessions. Yes, that charge could also be levied against Physical Graffiti, but that album also features a lot of newly recorded material. 

Thanks also for your thoughts on ITTOD. I wouldn't have minded if "Ozone Baby" had replaced "Hot Dog".

You're welcome. If it were me I'd have included Coda. It features, now more than ever a large quantity of Zeppelin material. The nature of it's origins is regrettable but it is still there. Much like the Beatles magical Mystery Tour (an accidental classic album.)

With the inclusion of the Bombay Orchestra material it shows how forward thinking JP and Co were. An equivalent might be the Floyd's Mudmen on Obscured By Clouds (same year, 1972) foreshadowing the appropriation, er, I mean the influence of non-western music in rock. Not bad for a bunch of blues guys...

Oh and how JP and Co returned to this very situation as the basis for No Quarter Unledded. Conceptual continuity and all that... The ironic bit was the material they used with the Bombay Squad was only very occasionally done live and then ... over done live in the 1990s...

Maybe this could be a Zeppelin album as well or are we bound by the rules of personnel which hardly applies to say, Yes. Don't worry just me stirring the pot. Don't want to provoke any eruptions...

Cheers

P.S.
ITTOD is still fantastic, an extension of Kashmir, In The Light and the use of guitar synthesizers, Purdie jazz shuffles and the elegiac I'm Gonna Crawl. Oh, and nothing was nicked either...

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:52
1 IV
2 Houses of the Holy
3 II
4 Physical Graffiti
5 I (first album)
6 III
7 Presence
8 In Through the Out Door

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>