2 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We have wormsign: a "Dune" themed poll
    Posted: January 24 2021 at 15:09

Sorry that the vids are not ordered properly.

I wasn't going to include Toto's Take my Hand from the Dune soundtrack (Eno's Prophecy Theme is from it), but I do love it. Feel free to vote even if you have only listened to two of them (if you've seen Lynch's Dune then you will have). That whole Dün album (Eros) is a favourite of mine.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 16:00
DünDünDün. Only knew this one (which is great) and Schulze and Eno before. The Klaus Schulze one sounds better today in my ears than when I heard it last time decades ago; not so much the Eno track. Black Sun Empire are very good outside the techno noise parts that ruin it for me. The Richard Pinhas one is quite enjoyable and runner up for me, followed by Schulze.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 16:28
From the list: Klaus Schulze. My real vote: Dune by Jade Warrior.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 17:28
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I was not familiar with that Jade Warrior track or the album it’s off that I recall. I would think that I would have heard about it. I just listened to it and was mentally trying to fit it into scenes from the film. I can hear it fitting stylistically Dune generally well. Alternative and potential soundtracks is a topic of some interest to me.   Thanks for mentioning it.

Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 21:29
To Tame A Land - Iron Maiden.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 23:11
Dun over Pinhas
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 05:15
Going with Toto . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 08:24
The dog from Kansas......couple others are good as well
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 09:01
I vote for my first Schulze purchase
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 11:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was not familiar with that Jade Warrior track or the album it’s off that I recall. I would think that I would have heard about it. I just listened to it and was mentally trying to fit it into scenes from the film. I can hear it fitting stylistically Dune generally well. Alternative and potential soundtracks is a topic of some interest to me.   Thanks for mentioning it.

David Lynch was reportedly a Jade Warrior fan, and they did the track with the film in mind. I am not sure if he formally commissioned it, though. It was not used because someone stole Lynch's tape. Like much of JW's music, it is simple on the surface but complex underneath. Horizen is an oft overlooked album, but it has some truly fine moments on it.

Oh, and thanks for including a video for it on the thread.

Edited by Progosopher - January 25 2021 at 11:42
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:07
Dün - arrakis followed by Klaus Schulze
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 14:22
I also like the song 'Desert Theme" of the same Toto soundtrack. Take My Hand imo coild not hurt if it were 4 minuts longer, it have a nice crescending that builds and builds like a long coiling snake
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 15:04

David Lynch was reportedly a Jade Warrior fan, and they did the track with the film in mind. I am not sure if he formally commissioned it, though. It was not used because someone stole Lynch's tape. Like much of JW's music, it is simple on the surface but complex underneath. Horizen is an oft overlooked album, but it has some truly fine moments on it.

Oh, and thanks for including a video for it on the thread.

Thanks for the added commentary. I was looking into it and saw some conflicting info. I read that Dino De Laurentiis who executive produced Dune and hired Lynch was a Jade Warrior fan. And that it may have just been inspired by the novel.

I read this purportedly from an official website (didn't find the quote anywhere else now but the post is from 2004_ CLICK

"Dino de Laurentis had declared himself a big Jade Warrior fan many years before news that the film "Dune" was to be produced by the Laurentis production company. This spurred us on to forward a copy of this track to him. The great man himself told us he would look out for the rushed cassette when it arrived. Mysteriously three copies of the specially delivered packages disappeared into his New York office over a two week period. Seemingly someone in the organisation was especially keen to keep Jade Warrior out of the frame. The film was the loser."

Not saying there's no truth to it, but that quote I employed sounds rather like paranoid fantasy to me ("seemingly" not compelling anecdotal evidence) in part and the loser bit shows a lack of objectivity.

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I also like the song 'Desert Theme" of the same Toto soundtrack. Take My Hand imo coild not hurt if it were 4 minuts longer, it have a nice crescending that builds and builds like a long coiling snake

Glad to see you post Christoffer. When I think of Toto I think of you, and was hoping you'd see this. I agree with you on "Take My Hand." I must say that it does mean all the more to me because I love the Dune film even if many others and Lynch himself don't think highly about how it turned out.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 15:14
I enjoy Dün - Arrakis immensely. But I am very partial at this moment to Richard Pinhas' - Chronolyse, an entirely Dune themed album. The track that was presented is good, I definitely have a soft spot for the 30 minute "Paul Atreides", with its spacey, electronic intro and outro and the driving KC-esque swelling electric guitar section.

But hands down my favorite Dune themed song is Iron Maiden's - To Tame a Land.

Edited by Tapfret - January 25 2021 at 15:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 15:42
I checked out that Iron Maiden one after Progfan1958 posted about it. While I'm not a metal guy, I can appreciate that and it might grow on me more. My best friend (now a doctor of psychology) was very big on Iron Maiden when growing up and had IM posters all over the wall. It kind of put me off

Not Prog per se but then I included a techno track partially for fun, another Dune worth mentioning is David Matthew's Dune album (sort of jazz/ jazz-rock/ jazz-funk). Here is the first track:

Dün's Eros and Pinhas' Chronolyse are my favourite albums with music from them on the list (oh, and I do love the Dune soundtrack -- one of the early soundtracks I got very into). I don't think many would feel the same way, but I also love the Zed Dune album (one of my PA suggestions and I only suggested music I was into). It's good Berlin Schoolesque electronic music to my ear.

I love plenty of earlier Schulze albums, but that's not one I know well despite any Dune interest I have had.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 20:45
Nice, I really like the books, and wasn't aware about so many songs related to them. The only one I knew is Iron Maiden's "To Tame a Land", which I love (though I know it from the Dream Theater version... I still want to get the IM original). I also believe there's a song from Blind Guardian about the books, but I don't know it. Now, I'm really looking forward to the new Dune film (which should have already been released if it weren't for the Coronavirus ). I really hope that one finally makes justice to the story (and that they end up adapting the first 3 books... I guess that should be more than enough). However, for the time being, I guess I should give all of this songs a listen.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 20:51
Or just listen to a bit of each and see if any have appeal. I look forward to the new Dune film. I know that Lynch's one didn't really do the book justice (due to a number of factors), but I love it in its own right.   The Dune miniseries was good in its way, I thought. Jodorowski for his planned Dune film in the 70s wanted Pink Floyd and Magma to do the soundtrack. That would have been something.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2021 at 20:51
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 23:07
KS
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 00:38
Hi,

I'm not sure that Dun's Arrakis is useful as a soundtrack ... it would be very hard to break up and show a trip with it, despite us having ideas of the "flow" that a trip can have that this music does not ... it feels more like jazz than it does DUNE for me ... but it is as if the title makes it associate with the real thing. I rather think not.

Eno's bit was used some, specially as the rumor was that both him and Klaus Schulze would be incolved in the film, and in essence they weren't ... but Eno's theme was nice and fit and was useful. I would like to see an "uncut" version of the film, but I think the acting in it, would bore us stiff!

Klaus Schulze, is a super nice album, although it would fit only as an extend trip, something that a film is not likely to be able to show, and only 2001 was able to do so for a few minutes before we grew tired of it. KS's version, is probably one of the few things that actually "fits", if a film of it all could be done properly and not for the reason of making money off a famous book, which was what the Producers were in all their life in the movies.

Richard Pinhas, is a bit on the strange side and probably interesting ... but again, I'm not sure as a director how I could use this on a scene, other than a quick sample. I'm not sure this kind of music fits "film" in its modern version with actors and visuals and "action" written all over it ... RP's music, going back to Heldon, was more about a change/revolution in the making of music, than it was befitting a soundtrack for film, in its modern versions.

Bernard Szajner is an interesting piece that could be used, but again, it would only fits some moments, which is OK for a film, showing how something gets stronger and "better" (rather than different) ... it has a lot of connotations and feels that recal some ENO in its strains. A very nice piece, even if it is not connected to the story by the title only.

Kurt Stenzel's Jodorowsky's Dune. Probably one of the best "interpretations" although today, we would say that it sounds way too analog, and not as strong as it could, but it was nicely thought out and designed. Sad that Jodorowsky never got to make this, as his imagery would have been nice to see, although I think his "intuitive" visuals, would likely clash with the book, though one could easily say that some of the trips and visuals in the book might have moments and ideas that you can hear him, and see via the music.

Black Sun Empire's is too much of a "song" in the modern vein, to fit something like "Dune" that had so many ideas and thoughts that were not in the popular vein in its design. Nice moments, though, but not exactly, the most consistent of all pieces when it comes to the book and its parts. One turn off for me ... the lousy drumming! Kills way too much music!

I have not heard (YET) JW's album and am looking for it. And this is a piece that "relates" to the imagery of what St. Helens left behind, that was incredibly well shown in a lot of news clips and thousands of pictures. Been there many times, and it's now a tourist site, and some spots were not cleared on purpose to show it ... in one spot, for example, there is the steel from a couple of bridges intertwined with the mud and piled up in a spot, creating an image that is not only scary because of its force, but also apocalyptic. Quite nice piece of music altogether, though mixing it with DUNE would be interesting and ... well, the visuals in this piece are very different, and fit the St. Helens for me, better than the novel.

I have not heard Toto's or Iron Maiden's. Inclined to believe that these are "songs", and as such it would not quite fit the film and its ideas, I don't think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 21:56

Out of the songs included on this thread, this has been the one I enjoyed the most (besides To Tame a Land, which I already knew). About Alternative soundtracks, I just wish someone would make, at last, a good movie (or few movies) about King Arthur... and that they used Wakeman's music for it (though it might need to be arranged as a mostly intrumental and orchestral thing).
 Post Reply Post Reply