Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy Prog Britannia: First Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
1 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
6 [15.38%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
1 [2.56%]
1 [2.56%]
5 [12.82%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Prog Britannia: First Album
    Posted: January 25 2021 at 10:21
While there's Still Life left in these polls, here's a storming Tempest of Very 'eavy, Very 'umble Heavy Prog albums to choose from before we touch First Base. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 25 2021 at 10:37
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 10:25
Haken for me
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 10:34
PT followed by Atomic Rooster
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 10:34
Tough one for me. High Tide and May Blitz were gigging extensively when I was at college and I loved Lone Star as well, although they were much later. High Tide edge it for the addition of 'rock violin'. 
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 10:39
My first impulse was Atomic Roooster, but I may never get another chance to vote for Fuzzy Duck.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 10:56
Necromandus for me. 🤗

Great wee debut, from the so-called Prog Sabbath!
Amazing that it took as long as it did for the legendary album to be released, but as they say - better late than never!

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 11:21
Uriah Heep. Great album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 11:45
Many things there I like fairly equally...first Heep, Rooster, Armageddon, May Blitz, High Tide, Quatermass....all decent proggy hard rock....but I'll give a vote to one of my favorite obscure bands..
'Gravy Train'
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:08
Thanks for putting Lone Star in Paul - one of the best heavy/prog/rock albums ever made, an easy choice for me (and for your next poll as well).
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Thanks for putting Lone Star in Paul - one of the best heavy/prog/rock albums ever made, an easy choice for me (and for your next poll as well).
Fool me once, can't get fooled again.... I thought Lone Star were from Texas until today, but I'm probably getting confused with the American country music group of the same name, although they're from Tennessee, not Texas. Smile
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:20
It's going to be weird seeing PT go far in these polls because of the amount of albums they have in comparison to some of the other groups, yet 2/3rds of their discography doesn't really belong in Heavy Prog. We're going to be seeing two- to three-album groups drop like flies and they'll still be losing to The Sky Moves Sideways, a psych album (though I predict the winner of that poll overall will be The Mountain by Haken).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:22
A considerbale number of albums that I know and love off this list. When it comes to Heavy Prog (and heavy metal), the early years are strong.

I voted for Writing on the Wall - Power of the Picts (1969) -- an album that doesn't get much attention. High Tide - Sea Shanties and Black Widow - Sacrifice are right up there for me. Gravy Train, Atomic Rooster and Quatermass are up there too, as are some others.

various countries and not all debuts, but this is a list of some of my favourites of mine on the heavy side:

Armaggedon - Armaggedon (1970) -- the German one, not the British or US one.
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You (1970)
Birth Control - Hoodoo Man (1972)
Black Widow - Sacrifice (1970)
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (1968)
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond (1972)
Coven - Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls (1969)
Damnation of Adam Blessing - The Damnation of Adam Blessing (1969)
Gun - Gun (1968) (British and I added it to Proto-Prog).
High Tide - Sea Shanties (1969)
Lucifer's Friend - Lucifer's Friend (1970)
Message - From Books and Dreams (1973)
Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come (1970)
Writing on the Wall - The Power of the Picts (1969)
Yesterday's Children - Yesterday's Children (1970)
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:26
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

It's going to be weird seeing PT go far in these polls because of the amount of albums they have in comparison to some of the other groups, yet 2/3rds of their discography doesn't really belong in Heavy Prog. We're going to be seeing two- to three-album groups drop like flies and they'll still be losing to The Sky Moves Sideways, a psych album (though I predict the winner of that poll overall will be The Mountain by Haken).

I am definitely expecting PT to gain large amounts of votes for later albums, but I’m quite surprised they’ve garnered as many as they have for the debut, which is a fairly patchy beast at best. Do people really prefer it over all the other albums listed here, or are they voting for the band rather than the album? Or perhaps haven’t listened to most/all the others, and are voting for the familiar?

I like PT, and expect to be voting for them in future heavy prog polls, but the debut isn’t anywhere near being in the running in this one. There are so many other albums listed that are more consistent and cohesive, and more enjoyable for that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But yes, I know, that’s just my view. And quite obviously, some people think more of the debut than I do.

Also, no one else for Necromandus? 😜🤪

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:29

If I extend this series of polls to the eighth album, then there'll only be Porcupine Tree and Uriah Heep remaining in the poll. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:37
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I am definitely expecting PT to gain large amounts of votes for later albums, but I’m quite surprised they’ve garnered as many as they have for the debut, which is a fairly patchy beast at best. Do people really prefer it over all the other albums listed here, or are they voting for the band rather than the album? Or perhaps haven’t listened to most/all the others, and are voting for the familiar?

I like PT, and expect to be voting for them in future heavy prog polls, but the debut isn’t anywhere near being in the running in this one. There are so many other albums listed that are more consistent and cohesive, and more enjoyable for that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But yes, I know, that’s just my view. And quite obviously, some people think more of the debut than I do.

It's been said that PT could have recorded an album of farts and people would still vote for it. Wilson is something of the Donald Trump of Prog.

It's been clear to me that some people just vote for the band they like regardless of the album or what its up against.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:48
^ I wondered who the lovely lady was in your new photo, then I realised it's Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 25 2021 at 12:48
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

A considerbale number of albums that I know and love off this list. When it comes to Heavy Prog (and heavy metal), the early years are strong.

I voted for Writing on the Wall - Power of the Picts (1969) -- an album that doesn't get much attention. High Tide - Sea Shanties and Black Widow - Sacrifice are right up there for me. Gravy Train, Atomic Rooster and Quatermass are up there too, as are some others.

various countries and not all debuts, but this is a list of some of my favourites of mine on the heavy side:

Armaggedon - Armaggedon (1970) -- the German one, not the British or US one.
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You (1970)
Birth Control - Hoodoo Man (1972)
Black Widow - Sacrifice (1970)
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (1968)
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond (1972)
Coven - Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls (1969)
Damnation of Adam Blessing - The Damnation of Adam Blessing (1969)
Gun - Gun (1968) (British and I added it to Proto-Prog).
High Tide - Sea Shanties (1969)
Lucifer's Friend - Lucifer's Friend (1970)
Message - From Books and Dreams (1973)
Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come (1970)
Writing on the Wall - The Power of the Picts (1969)
Yesterday's Children - Yesterday's Children (1970)

Great list..I own most of those and quite a few on original vinyl...eat your heart out.
Wink
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It's been said that PT could have recorded an album of farts and people would still vote for it. Wilson is something of the Donald Trump of Prog.

It's been clear to me that some people just vote for the band they like regardless of the album or what its up against.

Comparing Wilson to Trump...now that's harsh....LOL
I think his work with PT and early solo things are quite good....it surprises me that so many on PA bash him but then many here like Oldfield so there is no accounting for taste.
Wink
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:47
PT
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:48
tough choice, I'll have to think a bit here. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>