Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gigs I've missed due to the Pandemic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gigs I've missed due to the Pandemic
    Posted: January 28 2021 at 04:49
Bent Knee
District 97 & Tea Club
King Crimson
Portico Quartet
Swans
ProgDay
Big Ears
Dead Can Dance

It's been brutal
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 05:52
King Crimson was coming to Memphis in June, no one ever comes to Memphis, they go to Nashville instead. I was really looking forward to that. I never thought I would get to hear "Lizards" live, well apparently I was right.
Also, my own band had some nice art festival gigs lined up, all canceled.

Edited by Easy Money - January 28 2021 at 08:36
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 06:01
It's a bummer, I haven't missed too many, at least I managed to see Pendragon just before lockdown 1.
I had tickets for Kate Rusby's annual festival and an all-day prog festival but they will go ahead at some point, maybe not this year though. :-(
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 07:13
Not missed anything, in the sense that its all been re-scheduled, but we're booked for:

Procul Harum (+Orchestra)
Steve Hackett
The Manfreds
Australian Pink Floyd
Bob Fox and Billy Mitchell
Jethro Tull (just me, the Mrs hates them!)
Riverdance

Contemplating Caravan and Steven Wilson

Last gig (just before lockdown) was Paul Carrack

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 13:55
Ozric Tentacles
Steve Hillage,
Caravan
Kosfest 2020
Sidmouth folk festival and all my wife's clog/ folk/ Morris dancing gigs over the summer!

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 14:23
I was planning on seeing Bent Knee last April and Between the Buried and Me last May. Have tickets for Primus's A Tribute to Kings. Supposed to go last June and was rescheduled for this June.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 14:25
King Crimson was scheduled to come about 15-20 minutes from where I live, easily the most convenient gig for me.

Big Big Train was also scheduled to come to my state.

There were several other bands that I knew were (suppose to) touring america last year, but show dates hadn't been announced by March (or at least I couldn't find them) so I may not have been able to see them anyway, but obviously now.....
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 16:25
Ozzy
Brit Floyd
Journey/Pretenders
Elton John
Styx/REO Speedwagon
Carrie Underwood (gift to my spousal unit and daughter)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 17:15
King Crimson, June 26, 2020, Meadowbrook Theatre. First time seeing them in the last 40 years. To say I was irritated would be an understatement.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 17:27
Ouch!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 18:26
Several concerts with the Aarhus Symphony Orchestra...

I also had a ticket to the Swedish folk group Väsen in March last year, but they were obviously cancelled. Hope I will get a chance to hear them some day.
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMSM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 11:53
King Crimson

Wishbone Ash

I wished these bands would have played a indoor theatre or a club

In this case, they were to play an outdoor festival with a number of stages where you get people only there because others want company, thus talk when they should be listening, 

or other people walking actually walking in front of you because they are too inconsiderate to go around the crowd as it is many more steps.

Unfortunately for the case of Wishbone Ash, they would have been on a secondary stage, but you have to pay the price for the main act.

In such an instance, I just listened outside for Savoy Brown to play 45 minutes because they were charging full price for the Snoop Dog/Lion concert
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 12:42
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

King Crimson was coming to Memphis in June, no one ever comes to Memphis, they go to Nashville instead. I was really looking forward to that. I never thought I would get to hear "Lizards" live, well apparently I was right.
What is your bands name?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 13:32
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

What is your bands name?

We are Zazerac, just a local nu jazz trio, not well known except for locally in the Memphis area, and one syndicated radio show out of Germany that broadcasts in different international locations and an internet site independent music blog out of California that likes us too.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 18:03
I was considering Night of the Prog in Germany (again) for last Summer; also Cruise to the Edge, but covid hit and all plans, tentative or otherwise, went out the window.
Z
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 08:39
Hi,

I really wanted to say NONE on this, as I have pretty much sworn off concerts. When you get older the effort and ability gets its turn, and makes it difficult. 

I would like to catch a few of the newer things, but the touring spots are not opening in Portland just yet, and I'm not sure that we will see anything in those bars and grills for at least 6 more months, although Eugene (Oregon) is already advertising their "season" starting in August/September of mostly classical and semi/cardboard classical stuff and people you never heard of before! Typical Eugene! By comparison I have not seen anything listed upcoming for Portland and even the Mt Hood Jazz Festival (way too traditional for my tastes!) is not on this year as far as I can tell. They usually do it in the summer I think.

I would only get up to see a VdGG/PH show, or a Vangelis show (what a mad house that will be!!!!), or even a Mike Oldfield show complete with faux hippies and dress because no one remembers anything else!

If Grace Slick got off her butt and did a small piano tour I would go see her immediately ... but as she said a long time ago, she did not want to be the geriatric singer in her old days trying to do one song! YET AGAIN!

Edited by moshkito - June 14 2021 at 08:40
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:09
I have hardly visited gigs after the early 90's, but... Big Big Train on 20 July.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:42
VDGG still do their gig in September, Banco haven't rescheduled yet.
Quite certainly I have missed a number of further ones, except that I don't tend to plan that long term, and I wasn't really interested in who'd have played at the point it was clear they wouldn't play anyway.

In other news, last Friday and following Saturday my live music attendance resumes with two concerts of the Angelica international festival for experimental music in Bologna that is amazingly going ahead. Experimental music is probably unpopular enough that letting in only 100 people or so doesn't make that much of a difference to normal times.

Edited by Lewian - June 14 2021 at 09:43
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:56
Dead Can Dance & King Crimson are now rescheduled so I should get to both of those. Portico Quartet being canceled is probably the biggest miss for me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 12:58
My band had about four gigs booked that we missed, does that count? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply