Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best prog playlists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReneS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best prog playlists?
    Posted: January 28 2021 at 08:09
Hi guys,

This has probably been topic of discussion many times, but since playlist always chance I was wondering if you guys have specific prog rock playlists you would recommend on Spotify or other mediums.

I listen mostly to the modern progressive rock playlist on Spotify. It is a large one and gets updated regularly but some new and fresh music would be inspiring.

Kind regards,

René
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 08:37
I prefer to make my own prog playlists on YouTube. Smile
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 08:56
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I prefer to make my own prog playlists on YouTube. Smile

Ditto, only on Spotify
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 13:48
I make them on Spotify. Let me know if you want me to share. I order the tracks so that you don't shuffle, since so many prog tracks transition to another and hearing them cut off is annoying.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 17:17
here is a playlist I just made. 7 tracks from different genres. total length 72:56, so the tracks are in average over 10 minutes long. the playlist does however not tell what these tracks are; I don't want you to be prejudiced in any way

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 20:34
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I make them on Spotify. Let me know if you want me to share. I order the tracks so that you don't shuffle, since so many prog tracks transition to another and hearing them cut off is annoying.

This is the reason I prefer to buy my CD's, and for taking my music wherever I want, I make my own lists on ITunes for my IPod. I download the songs I want and edit them (if necessary) as I see fit so that I will enjoy them either in a particular order or on shuffle.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 00:40
^If that works for you, great. I like using Spotify because it allows me to share my playlists. I have ones that I make for people and they can just go on my page and save them. I enjoy making as much as I like listening to them honestly. It's like making your own album. And sometimes it's like solving a puzzle, but one without one exact solution. I love finding the best order for all the tracks. That way you can drop in anywhere in the playlist and the journey BEGINS.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 01:27
I've never used spotify, and I'll continue to purchase CDs, and listen to them straight through without skipping a track, at least twice in a sitting, sometimes thrice.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 02:24

If you'd like to listen to hundreds of obscure prog albums, then I can recommend Prog Line on YouTube. Thumbs Up

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 02:31
I have hundreds of prog albums right next to me on THE SHELF!!! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 03:11

If you'd like to listen to hundreds of obscure prog albums, then I can recommend Prog Line on YouTube. Thumbs Up

I'm gonna recommend this channel as well!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 07:09

If you'd like to listen to hundreds of obscure prog albums, then I can recommend Prog Line on YouTube

Thanks, the link leads to a goldmine! 
I usually listen to songs on YouTube. I don't have Spotify and I don't own a CD player. 
I only have a record player, because I'm a lame hipster.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 07:37
Hi,

I'm not a great fan of these lists, even though they all have one or two listens worth checking out.

My main concern is that too many of them are about the "sound" and has nothing to do with "progressive" except the copykat format of the majority of music in these things.

I get the CD's or the Downloads (all purchased!) and then have about 50 CD's with the music on mp3's and each CD is a different band ... and that's what goes with me on a car trip ... I have wanted to create a sort of radio show on mp3 for myself, mostly for the road, but I am too tightly knit to BAND, and MUSIC ... to be able to listen to 5 different things in 30 minutes ... it distorts the trip and a bunch of "songs" is not a trip at all ... too many different personalities for you or I to be able to enjoy and appreciate. AND THIS IS A MAJOR REASON WHY SO MANY BANDS CAN NOT GET A DECENT LEVEL OF APPRECIATION. Perfect example is people liking one song from a band and then think the rest of the albums (plural!!!) is crap ... it says it all about the listener, does it not?

It's nice to see people listening to different things, but I do wish that "progressive" was a lot more ALBUM oriented than SONG oriented as has been the case lately ... and sadly, even a new piece of music is cut up to shreds, so it can meet a download public for "songs" ... and not the whole piece ... in this, I think the artist is hurting himself/herself ... with their lack of guts to show their own vision ... SPECIALLY WHEN PROGRESSIVE WAS ALL ABOUT THE VISION ... and had nothing to do with the length or the style ... something that I bet 90% of all the fool-ks here on PA do not understand!

Edited by moshkito - January 29 2021 at 07:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 07:49
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I have hundreds of prog albums right next to me on THE SHELF!!! Cool

I have around 160 albums on my prog-rock CD rack at home, but if I include all of the albums that are listed on ProgArchives, then I have exactly 565 "prog" albums out of 3000  in total, having counted them all recently. Smile

It's good to see that Prog Line on YouTube has generated some interest in the progosphere. Prog Line is usually the first place I look for obscure long-lost album treasures from around the world. Thumbs Up

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 10:45

I've never used spotify, and I'll continue to purchase CDs, and listen to them straight through without skipping a track, at least twice in a sitting, sometimes thrice.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

I listen to albums in full AND put on my 20-35+ hour long playlists that I painstakingly curate, and expand often.

Get on MY level! (I jest)

In any case, this isn't really what the OP is asking for. Regardless, I agree that many sets of tracks are meant to be heard together as an album experience, like Mosh said. But that's why I group tracks together.

That being said however, it's fun to experiment with making playlists by mixing tracks by tens to hundreds of artists. I used to put tracks that sound similar one after another, but that got boring. So now I often have a drastically different track follow. It's fun, and musically stimulating. Makes me think about concert set list orders if I ever perform them as covers.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 20:18
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^If that works for you, great. I like using Spotify because it allows me to share my playlists. I have ones that I make for people and they can just go on my page and save them. I enjoy making as much as I like listening to them honestly. It's like making your own album. And sometimes it's like solving a puzzle, but one without one exact solution. I love finding the best order for all the tracks. That way you can drop in anywhere in the playlist and the journey BEGINS.

I did end up getting Spotify, and have been creating lists with things I want to know. I still prefer using my IPod, it gives me more liberty of doing what I want... and I don't really have anyone to share Spotify playlists with. I guess I will keep up creating more playlists there anyway.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 20:22

GET ON MY LEVEL.

I would like to say the same. I want to keep on purchasing CD's, but the music business is changing so much. Buying CD's is becoming ever more difficult and expensive, it's almost as if they were saying, don't buy CD's anymore, just stream. If it's the new studio releases of popular artists you can still find them at reasonable prices, but more obscure bands, or live albums, or older albums, are getting ever more difficult to find. I guess the best time for buying CD's was in the 00's, with internet, and still the CD's on full use, you could find most of what you could happen to want, and at good prices.
Seric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 01:25
Check this: https://www.deezer.com/us/playlist/54324471

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 01:46
I remember back when I first started out frequenting PA and found myself out of the loop/totally green with regards to some of the site’s genres. So I naturally dived straight down into the MP3 playlists and found myself completely in love with the Italians. Uhhh mama!
After the initial taste though I started buying albums..left and right...which I find the most rewarding personally. I end up with a tangible product and I supported an act I really dig.
The latter is something I think gets overlooked for those that mostly listen to music via streaming sites like Spotify that give next to nothing to the actual musicians. A couple of years back most of my friends who streamed kinda justified their ways with not having enough room for all the cds/LPs...and the fact that they went to dozens of live gigs supporting bands in that way instead.
With the current music climate and gigs going down the tubes faster than a slippery mouse...how on earth are bands going to survive if we don’t actually pay them for their music?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 19:10
^ The problem is, once again, prices are going ever higher, and as I understand it, it's not even for the artists, but the companies and distributors. It's really becoming imposible, speically if you really want to keep buying new albums from diverse artists... you might end up buying something special from your very favourite artists, and buy a bit more of the new releases from other artists you already know. But if you find yourself interested in some artist you don't know, and want to get their discography, it's just about imposible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>