Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best prog playlists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 23:35
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I've never used spotify, and I'll continue to purchase CDs, and listen to them straight through without skipping a track, at least twice in a sitting, sometimes thrice.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

I am totally 💯% on your LEVEL‼️
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 23:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If you'd like to listen to hundreds of obscure prog albums, then I can recommend Prog Line on YouTube. Thumbs Up

Don’t use YouTube or any of the music websites. It is the physical connection between me and the artwork, vinyl/cd and the liner notes!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 03:03
I very rarely use streaming services, apart from to listen to podcasts, or to sample music before deciding whether I want to buy it or not (and when I’m doing that, more often or not it is through Bandcamp, which isn’t really a streaming site, per se, anyway).

The only time I have ever listened to playlists, or made my own, has been as part of a “game”. For instance, last year I participated in a “secret Santa” type playlist swap, where all the participants put in three words to “help” whoever was making out playlist decide on what to include.

The person for whom I made a playlist gave me the words, Space, Ambient, Robots.

I made this playlist for him:

The words I gave were Heavy, Jazzy, Weird, and this is the playlist I received:

The first round was so successful, and everyone had a lot of fun (and we pretty much ended up listening to all the playlists), that a second round was begun. This time, to make it even harder, instead of words, we had to provide a photo or picture that we thought might “help” whoever was creating our playlists.

I was given a photo montage of a moon cycle, which in my mind at the time reminded me of the eternal cycle of life and death, so I came up with this playlist:

I sent through a picture of the Earth being blown to smithereens. I wasn’t really sure what to expect, based on that. What I got was:

The point of all this, is that none of the people who played the game probably got what they were expecting, or even wanting. I think we all ended up listening to things very different from what we expected, and often outside our comfort zone. For me, that’s the best kind of playlist. I can’t really understand wanting to listen to a playlist of music I already know I will like, because I would rather just listen to the albums. I’m really not a shuffle sort of guy. I like to hear an album from beginning to end.

That said, the playlist swaps were a lot of fun, so perhaps we could do a similar thing through this forum? Just a thought....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12