Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites out today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson - The Future Bites out today
    Posted: January 29 2021 at 04:06
Wilson's latest album is out, months after it was meant to be released, but delayed by Covid-19.

He's released about half the album the last months, but now we can listen to it in it's entirety.

1. Unself - 1:05
2. Self - 2:55
3. King Ghost - 4:06
4. 12 Things I Forgot - 4:42
5. Eminent Sleaze - 3:52
6. Man of the People - 4:41
7. Personal Shopper - 9:49
8. Follower - 4:39
9. Count of Unease - 6:08

Total length: 41:56

This is the most un-Porcupine Tree/SW Solo (later years)-like album he's released and has probably already stirred the pot and divided fans and listeners. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I don't know if I will like it, but I like that he is making the music he wants to make and not afraid of threading new paths for himself (even if he is wearing shoes previously worn by others at times).
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 05:17
He's getting heaps of abuse on Facebook for this, some from people who preordered it ages ago and some from people who don't like this new direction.
I will give it a listen, but whatever people think about it, he doesn't deserve the level of abuse he's getting.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 07:03
Just had a first listen. It's not really to my taste, but it's certainty not terrible.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 07:40
First listen, honestly its not bad. There's some clumsy things about the album, but the songs are pretty memorable, the album is concise and the production is really good. Will have to get more listens under my belt and get a review up. It's certainly not one of the "worst albums ever recorded" according to that 3 sentence review that one reviewer put up before the release.

I didn't like To The Bone, actually think I dig this one more
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 15:45
I don't agree with the above posters. It is pretty terrible, especially for a musician of his caliber. To the Bone was way way way better.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:46
I am one of those that pre-ordered in March 2020, the signed LP version. Burning Shed sent confirmation product is shipping but I'm good waiting another 2 weeks probably from across the pond for my album.

In general I'm probably not that excited about the album based on the released songs, King Ghost is really good.
I'm not sure why the hate, everyone who follows and buys his albums and goes to his live shows knows the direction he has been taking the past 3yrs. Whether the album is good or not is a different issue.

At this point I expect it will be 2022 before we see him live again in Seattle.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:51
From the songs I heard it's not my cup of tea but I'm happy that he's put out some product for the faithful in this locked in Covid era.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 17:55
Hi,

I had the thought, and I think I posted it here a long time ago, that SW was trying hard to get away from the "trip" stuff of old that PT was known for, and he wanted to make his own direction with pop songs ... and sure enough, the stuff that we heard, sounds like a lot of pop songs to me ... nothing really "new" or "inventive" in those 3 or 4 songs.

I'll listen to it, but I'm not putting out money on it at all. I think I'm done with PT and any related work ... now that fame has some of them, they all can do crap ... and everyone will buy it! Not me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 18:58
Unboxing of the £10,000 Steven Wilson box set..........(money was for charity). The buyer, Alan Lastufka, who lives in Oregon is in the music industry as well.

Pretty sweet!!

Edited by Catcher10 - January 29 2021 at 19:00
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 21:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

From the songs I heard it's not my cup of tea but I'm happy that he's put out some product for the faithful in this locked in Covid era.

I agree Steve.....well played and recorded, and one expects that from Wilson,  but the songs simply don't engage me this time around.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 23:10
I concur. It's not really an album that excites me.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 00:27
This album conflicts me so much. On one hand, I don’t mind Steven going pop as long as he does it well. Problem is, too much of the album is too dour and boring to be good pop. And then there’s the half-assed and contradictory social commentary... just read my review if you need any more insight as to my opinions, but I do think this is the weakest solo album he’s released so far

Edited by Necrotica - January 30 2021 at 00:27
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 00:57
The social commentary is obviously something he cares about, but I don't really want too much of that in my music. I'd rather have his old topics of serial killers and trains.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 02:50
All the pre-released songs were quite bad, so my hopes for this one couldnt' be lower. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 05:00
Two listens in, I could say it is his least exciting solo album so far, which does not necessarily make it a bad one. In fact, I would still listen to 'The Future Bites' over all the garbage that comes out of the mainstream.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 06:05
I like it, better than TTB (which felt lile a poor man's PT) or araven
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 18:33
The artist, the fan and the critic. The fan is the end user who has a general love for the artist's style and will accept to a degree, anything the artist offers but will express his up Thumbs Up or down Thumbs Down  based on their history with said artist. The artist is the sole decider of his art and the direction he/she /it chooses. The critic , on the other hand , has no business DICTATING with words what an artist SHOULD be making as far as the artist's music is concerned. ("How dare you make something that does not fit my preconceptions of what I want!"). Those who choose to pan an artist are perhaps entitled to express their opinion, as world-class experts on music that they surely believe they are, but invariably because they are non-artists themselves (as Zappa once proudly stated)  , they will come across as overbearing, brash, loud mouths who enjoy the words they type with such negative gusto. Online , many eschew answering or even reading any debate in question, so concentrated they are on glorifying themselves in their typos, feeling so clever in jumping on the negative bus and riding it to no end. It is the artist taking the risk , not the critic . What is sad, is , like it or not, Wilson is not discovering new territory at all, just going back to where he had already been.  There are many fine synthpop/electronic pop artists out there that have made and are making fab music to this day. Get a more positive grip, experts! Whatever, Wilson is still better than commercial radio of the past 20 years! 

Edited by tszirmay - January 30 2021 at 18:33
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:01
No offense, there's way better pop out there. I believe it takes a lot to write a great pop record and this is not one of them.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:21
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

No offense, there's way better pop out there.

like what? 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

No offense, there's way better pop out there.

like what? 

It will take a long time to list that, but even the newest two Taylor Swift albums are better than the newest Steven Wilson album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>