Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands without logos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmanjum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands without logos
    Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:08
Was thinking of this on the drive home tonight. King Crimson was the first one that popped into my head. What other bands do not have a 'specific' logo or text style?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:17
Genesis, only two LP's have a similar 'font'.
Gentle Giant
Triumvirat
Pink Floyd

To name just a few.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:26
The answer is: Most bands, I guess. We just remember those who do have a logo.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:28
^Exactly, probably easier to name the bands that DO.

ELP
Yes
Dream Theater
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:29
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Gentle Giant
Triumvirat
Pink Floyd

To name just a few.

Not true for Genesis. 

Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot have a similar font, A trick of the tail and Wind and Wuthering have a similar font and TLLDOB and ATTWT both have a similar font. So three sets of two albums is more accurate.

Not sure about Triumvirat but I consider the dark side of the moon prism to be a logo for PF and so is the lettering for the Wall album. If not then I guess the RD logo for Yes doesn't count either.

For Gentle Giant the giant guy with the smiley face and beard is most definitely their logo.

For King Crimson I consider the discipline emblem to be a logo more or less.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 29 2021 at 16:36
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 17:13
the first live album of Genesis also has the same logo as "Nursery Cryme" and "Foxtrot"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 17:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Gentle Giant
Triumvirat
Pink Floyd

To name just a few.

Not true for Genesis. 

Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot have a similar font, A trick of the tail and Wind and Wuthering have a similar font and TLLDOB and ATTWT both have a similar font. So three sets of two albums is more accurate.

Not sure about Triumvirat but I consider the dark side of the moon prism to be a logo for PF and so is the lettering for the Wall album. If not then I guess the RD logo for Yes doesn't count either.

For Gentle Giant the giant guy with the smiley face and beard is most definitely their logo.

Fair enough on Genesis, but my point stands. Also, the prism is NOT a logo. It has been used as a marketing ploy but that's all I'll ever consider it. I don't believe it can be considered their logo or it would appear on most albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 18:27

Gentle Giant
Triumvirat
Pink Floyd

To name just a few.

Not true for Genesis. 

Fair enough on Genesis, but my point stands. Also, the prism is NOT a logo. It has been used as a marketing ploy but that's all I'll ever consider it. I don't believe it can be considered their logo or it would appear on most albums.

Agree to disagree. Wink
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 04:25
The Steve Hackett band doesn’t seem to have one, neither the Martin Barre Band. 
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 09:12
How about bands with great logos?
Yes, of course.

But one of my favorites is glam-prog band ANGEL.  The logo looks the same turned upside down as well.  They are not on this site, but should be based on their first two albums.
progmanjum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmanjum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 09:21
Does that mean the Stones' Mouth/Tongue isn't either?
If you Google 'logo' for both bands guess what comes up. Not that google is the end all be all.

Gentle Giant
Triumvirat
Pink Floyd

To name just a few.

Not true for Genesis. 

Agree to disagree. Wink
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 09:39
Originally posted by progmanjum progmanjum wrote:

If you Google 'logo' for both bands guess what comes up. Not that google is the end all be all.

An album cover image is not the same thing as a logo, so no The Stones mouth/tongue image is not a logo, nor the prism on PF's DSotM. Neither used it on any of their other original albums, as far as I remember.
And please, Google is a search engine: what you get are search results, that is far from being the same as "an answer to a question".

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 10:18
In general I think I prefer album covers without band logos. A logo signals 'product' or 'brand' to me, and there is clearly an element of commercial thinking behind it.

The moment there is a different font for each album, it leaves more focus on the album itself rather than the "brand" with which it is associated, and I clearly prefer that from an ideologic point of view.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 10:25

These are interesting, but problematic examples. I don't think either could be considered a logo, strictly speaking. The GG-guy from their first album cover has become a recurrent item, not so much on their studio albums (once or twice?) but more on their live and compilation albums. So to me this more an emblematic image used for marketing purposes (as are the Rolling Stones tongue and PF's prism). But on their studio albums GG didn't really use a logo other than a similar lettering of their band name on some of them (that could be considered a logo, but they didn't use it continuously).

KC's Discipline emblem is another example of a strong album cover image being used in other marketing strategies: e.g. the DGMLive site. But here the emblem is part of the proper logo of the site: "DGM[discipline-emblem]Live" - they integrated the emblem within their logo, but the emblem in itself isn't a logo, imo.

An emblematic image, used for different purposes, is not the same thing as a logo, but sometimes can become a part of it...

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 12:01
After reading many of these posts I'd like to re-state my position (see, it is possible to have a point of view changed) Thumbs Up

Many of the 'logos' that are being discussed here don't appear on 'every album', granted.

So maybe better to say 'the single image that most associates the band'.

This now satisfies many of the arguments/suggestions above.
For example... do you consider these to be 'LOGOS' of the band?
Cautious now...many of these have NOT appeared on every album or maybe even most of the albums but are mostly understood to be logos.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 12:16
^ Yes, I do... Smile  But these are more classic logos, i.e. the name or initials logotyped. But there are not many brands that accomplished to use just an image or symbol as their logo (some petrol companies, some banking companies, nike...), let alone bands...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 12:27
If there is a band logo I actually like, it will have to be this one. The band Tv-2 was formed in 1981 at a time when the national broadcaster DR still had monopoly on television. Right-wing politicians had been pushing forward for many years for a TV2 because they thought DR was too left-wing (The broadcaster TV2 didn't see the light of day until 1988).

I guess the band Tv-2 wanted to ironise on the debate (their lyrics are often very ironic). It works well because it really looks like a TV logo.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 12:29
^^which is why I would support  as The Rolling Stones logo.

Edited by JD - January 30 2021 at 12:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 13:47
Originally posted by progmanjum progmanjum wrote:

Gentle Giant
Triumvirat
Pink Floyd

To name just a few.

Not true for Genesis. 

Agree to disagree. Wink

The tongue was on an album? If so I can't remember which one. Yes, I googled logos and for PF the prism came up. It's definitely a log in my opinion. I just didn't feel like arguing with him so I said "agree to disagree" otherwise the discussion would go around in circles for the next ten years. Anyway, I admit there can be a thin line be between a logo and a band's lettering but that's a different thing.

By the way, typically responses go under the quotes.  It makes it easier to find responses and thus easier to read. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 30 2021 at 13:49
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 13:49

^^which is why I would support  as The Rolling Stones logo.

I understand your point, but for me this is just an image that has become very identifiable with a band (not to say "product"), like the bearded guy has become for Gentle Giant. But firstly it wasn't designed as logo and secondly they didn't use it consistently, not even on the subsequent albums, as their "brand mark" or as logo as such, and I doubt they used it in their letter heads (but I must admit that I never received a letter from the Rolling Stones). For me, a very identifiable image can become emblematic/iconic, but it doesn't make it a logo, which is something intentionally designed to communicate a brand name (or band name, for that matter). This wasn't designed for that purpose, nevertheless, it has become iconic for the band, without becoming a logo. I'm not sure if I'm clear in what I want to point out...

Edited by suitkees - January 30 2021 at 13:52

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>