Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands without logos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 13:53
^My god, if the rolling stones lips and tongue isn't a band logo then nothing is. Confused
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 13:58
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

After reading many of these posts I'd like to re-state my position (see, it is possible to have a point of view changed) Thumbs Up

Many of the 'logos' that are being discussed here don't appear on 'every album', granted.

So maybe better to say 'the single image that most associates the band'.

This now satisfies many of the arguments/suggestions above.
For example... do you consider these to be 'LOGOS' of the band?
Cautious now...many of these have NOT appeared on every album or maybe even most of the albums but are mostly understood to be logos.

Not that I change my answers but I think this makes things a bit more flexible. Some on here were being a bit inflexible about what a logo is and admittedly my definition may have been a bit loose. To some on here logo equals image but image doesn't equal logo(I suppose).  But when you say image there's no way the GG guy and PF's prism don't qualify as those band's most recognized images. 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 14:02
One of my favorite bands and probably my favorite logo.  i was always doodling this on my book covers back in my high school days many, many years ago.

See the source image

Edited by rushfan4 - January 30 2021 at 14:03
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 14:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^My god, if the rolling stones lips and tongue isn't a band logo then nothing is. Confused

Actually, I stand corrected: reading the wiki-page on this, what should be a tour poster at first became intentionally something more "branding". The fact they didn't continue to use it as their logo on subsequent albums (which led me to my statements) clearly doesn't mean it was not intended as a logo (maybe ephemeral at first, but it became too iconic not to use it again).

Edited by suitkees - January 30 2021 at 14:15

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 14:12
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the first live album of Genesis also has the same logo as "Nursery Cryme" and "Foxtrot"

Pretty sure Seconds Out also uses the Lamb font.

The group The Musical Box also uses the Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot font for their band, understandably.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 15:53
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the first live album of Genesis also has the same logo as "Nursery Cryme" and "Foxtrot"

Pretty sure Seconds Out also uses the Lamb font.

The group The Musical Box also uses the Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot font for their band, understandably.

I stand corrected then. I wasn't thinking of live albums.

Yes, Seconds out has the same band lettering(font) as lamb and also the same as and then there were three. 

Genesis live uses the same font as Foxtrot and NC. I forgot that but it makes sense.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 16:01

This was very common at one time, maybe still is?

[/IMG]https://clipground.com/pic/get

Edited by Easy Money - January 30 2021 at 16:05
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 23:13
Bands with multiple members (ELP) or long names seemed to use logos, i.e. GTR:

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 23:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

After reading many of these posts I'd like to re-state my position (see, it is possible to have a point of view changed) Thumbs Up

Many of the 'logos' that are being discussed here don't appear on 'every album', granted.

So maybe better to say 'the single image that most associates the band'.

This now satisfies many of the arguments/suggestions above.
For example... do you consider these to be 'LOGOS' of the band?
Cautious now...many of these have NOT appeared on every album or maybe even most of the albums but are mostly understood to be logos.

Not that I change my answers but I think this makes things a bit more flexible. Some on here were being a bit inflexible about what a logo is and admittedly my definition may have been a bit loose. To some on here logo equals image but image doesn't equal logo(I suppose).  But when you say image there's no way the GG guy and PF's prism don't qualify as those band's most recognized images. 

Anybody have a high-res rip of band logos just like the above, PNG/TIFF? Thank you in advance!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 04:13
Traffic used a logo (as opposed to the band name).

I thought that the Rolling Stones lips logo was used for the Rolling Stones Records record label though (a bit like the Beatles and Apple)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 10:24

BOC...on all lp's so it is a band symbol at least.
The BOC logo was created by Bill Gawlik, the artist who created the band's first and second album covers. It is a stylization of the astronomical symbol for the planet Saturn
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 12:22
"Do you see what happens when you f**k a logo in the ass?" (Compare it with my signature.)
SX

Edited by Shadowyzard - February 01 2021 at 12:24
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 13:34
So... I thought it was a topic about bands WITHOUT logos... Who made it derail??? LOL
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 09:51
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

How about bands with great logos?
Yes, of course.

But one of my favorites is glam-prog band ANGEL.  The logo looks the same turned upside down as well.  They are not on this site, but should be based on their first two albums.

Great band. Yeah, those first two albums were awesome. I played the hell out of them when I needed a break from Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd.
The Prog Corner
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 21:45
Logo is Greek for "word", so the PF prism and GG's face are definitely not logos.

That would mean all bands have logos... Except for Prince's "symbol" album. But then again, Prince was not a band...

I think I confused myself
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12