Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep
    Posted: January 30 2021 at 09:17
It's time to celebrate the music of the Very 'eavy, Very 'umble Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep. Ken was the driving powerhouse force behind Uriah Heep between 1970 and 1980, featuring on no less than thirteen studio albums. Who can forget the fiery vision of the tank rolling across Salisbury Plain on their second album cover, or the reflective silver third album cover where you could quite literally Look At Yourself in the mirror. Ken Hensley has always been one of the Demons and Wizards of heavy keyboard prog, and his song-writing skills were put to full use with the concept album, The Magician's Birthday, featuring fantasy cover artwork by Roger Dean. Ken is a Free Spirit who's always Eager to Please his devoted fans, and he  relished the Sweet Freedom to pursue his dream in the magical Wonderworld of prog. In 1973,  it was a Return to Fantasy for Ken's first solo outing, Proud Words on a Dusty Shelf, a High and Mighty album of hard and heavy prog which burned briefly but brightly like a Firefly. All was not well in the Uriah Heep camp though with singer David Byron - the Innocent Victim of alcohol abuse - being replaced by John Lawton. The three albums with John Lawton From Time to Time offered a Glimpse of Glory, but no one could quite match the epic soaring vocals of Fallen Angel David Byron. Finally, Ken Hensley left Uriah Heep behind in 1980,  embarking on a new series of Conquests in his burgeoning solo career. Heart

All Highlighted albums by Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep in (roughly) chronological order. Smile

==================================================================

Uriah Heep Albums

4 stars 1999: Future Echoes of the Past - The Legend Continues - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDbuw1wsH7UbU99AlufATSU

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 01 2021 at 09:00
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 09:04
This thread began as a Top 7 Uriah Heep albums poll, but due to the underwhelming response, it's now become a Very 'eavy, Very 'umble Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep tribute thread. Smile

Gypsy

Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 10:16
Ken at Helsinki, 2019 (Wiki)

Recommended solo albums:

Proud Words on a Dusty Shelf (1973)
Eager to Please (1975)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:27
 ^ Great picture! Thumbs Up

Bird of Prey - (for ProgJourney) Wink

ProgJourney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ProgJourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:36
doesnt get much better than this. bird of prey is amazing.

Edited by ProgJourney - May 25 2021 at 05:49
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:42
Paul if you are featuring Ken Hensley, you should include Weed self titled from 1971.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:51
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Paul if you are featuring Ken Hensley, you should include Weed self titled from 1971.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll definitely have a listen to Ken Hensley's Weed album later on today and feature a track from it here. It's just in the Nick of time too, as I can now include the Weed album in chronological order. I noticed it's listed amongst Ken Hensley's albums here on PA as well as Head Machine's 1970 "Orgasm" album. Thumbs Up
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 07:24
Heep's Live album from 1973 is fantastic.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 08:37

I'm listening to Weed's album right now and it's really growing on me. Tongue
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 10:52
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm listening to Weed's album right now and it's really growing on me. Tongue

I like it too Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 11:31
Pre-Uriah Heep bands and albums featuring Ken Hensley Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 13 2021 at 13:10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 10:12
The Heep.....everything up through Firefly was decent..after that not so much. The debut is still my favorite  though the next 4 are all good. 
I have The Gods on cd ..never heard of 'Head Machine' nor 'Weed'.....I have an original vinyl of the first 'Toe Fat '. Still looking for a good used copy of the second...though Hensley is not on that one.
Head Machine on original label goes for big bucks these days $300-1,000...incredible what people want for these old things. You can get a reissue on cd and vinyl for $30.
Same with 'Weed'... big money on first vinyls...but they are out there on cd and reissue.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 10:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The Heep.....everything up through Firefly was decent..after that not so much. The debut is still my favorite  though the next 4 are all good. 
I have The Gods on cd ..never heard of 'Head Machine' nor 'Weed'.....I have an original vinyl of the first 'Toe Fat '. Still looking for a good used copy of the second...though Hensley is not on that one.
Head Machine on original label goes for big bucks these days $300-1,000...incredible what people want for these old things. You can get a reissue on cd and vinyl for $30.
Same with 'Weed'... big money on first vinyls...but they are out there on cd and reissue.
Head Machine were The Gods under a different name, and if you like Heavy Prog, then I'm pretty sure Weed will grow on you, just as it did with me after hearing the album again yesterday. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 11:10

Head Machine were The Gods under a different name, and if you like Heavy Prog, then I'm pretty sure Weed will grow on you, just as it did with me after hearing the album again yesterday. Smile
I listened to both Head and Weed....not bad ,typical proto prog for that time......I have the Gods -Genesis cd...with 4 bonus tracks and I will eventually get To Samuel a Son on cd. Some trivia info...originally The Gods were Mick Taylor, Hensley, John Glascock(Tull later) and Brian Glascock..then Taylor quit and Hensley reformed the band with Newton, Kerslake, and Konas..,then Greg Lake joined and ready to record some muisc...Lake left to form Crimson. They did 2 lp's and two singles(these are the 4 tracks on the cd reissue) Then they became Toe Fat...etc..backing Cliff Bennett.,,,before Hensley, Newton  did Heep.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 11:46

I listened to both Head and Weed....not bad ,typical proto prog for that time......I have the Gods -Genesis cd...with 4 bonus tracks and I will eventually get To Samuel a Son on cd. Some trivia info...originally The Gods were Mick Taylor, Hensley, John Glascock(Tull later) and Brian Glascock..then Taylor quit and Hensley reformed the band with Newton, Kerslake, and Konas..,then Greg Lake joined and ready to record some muisc...Lake left to form Crimson. They did 2 lp's and two singles(these are the 4 tracks on the cd reissue) Then they became Toe Fat...etc..backing Cliff Bennett.,,,before Hensley, Newton  did Heep.
I only have The Gods "Genesis" album on CD out of the seven pre-Uriah Heep albums listed above, but now I've found the YouTube playlists, I can look forward to listening to all seven albums and then over-rating them, as per usual. Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 20:00
Used to have most of their 70’s releases, but whittled it down to my favourites.
The Magician’s Birthday forever. Rain being the weak track for me, but the rest more than makes up for that one.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 13:24
 5 stars 1968: Spice - The Lansdowne Tapes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwnZfuiJ64I&list=OLAK5uy_kF0KvDpGGJ98fLKdrVU9LjqcxKnQ7_frs

If you're in the mood to Spice up your life with some Heavy Prog, then this is Ken Hensley at his very 'eavy, very 'umble best! Thumbs Up

Lady in Black

Thanks again to Spacious Mind and Dr Wu for reminding me to include Ken Hensley's pre-Uriah Heep albums on this thread. Star

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 02 2021 at 13:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 08:54
5 stars 1968: The Gods - Genesis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5OqHVmDcRU&list=OLAK5uy_kKewXemZGvb6ClosLqtUdDu_zwCpjzvnM

The Prog Gods will be graciously appeased with this outstanding Genesis album! Thumbs Up

Looking Glass

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 11:12
4 stars 1969: The Gods - To Samuel a Son - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRk4CntKAMg&list=OLAK5uy_kAo13yoikFjOgYc-Syh7gn64sllLNDggY

Eight O'Clock in the Morning

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 12:02

4 stars 1970: Head Machine - Orgasm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZaFY3nBmA

Make the Feeling Last

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>