Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rosfest Announcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosfest Announcement
    Posted: February 01 2021 at 19:36
Change We Must, to Live Again!

In the words of Jon Anderson, “Change we must, to live again”, we find hope, resolution, and a renewed sense of excitement. With these lyrics in mind, it is my great pleasure to announce that with change, RoSfest will continue to produce one of the best progressive rock festivals in the world located in tropical Sarasota, Florida, but under new leadership and board of directors to further support and grow this endeavor. The Rites of Spring Festival has been a treasure in the progressive rock world for the last 17 years and it has been my pride and privilege to create, produce, host and share the experience with you, our RoSfest audience!
New to producing RoSfest, but not to the world of progressive rock, our new leadership team have been supportive members of our festival’s family for years. I feel honored to be able to pass the torch to such a dedicated group of musical masters. Please give a warm RoSfest welcome to our new leadership team and read below for more detail about their background and accomplishments; John Blangero, Nick Katona, Anthony Anzalone, Rebecca Avelar, Octavia Brown, and Lisa Wetton.
The team will follow up with information regarding everything RoSfest as the information becomes available. I will continue to support the festival as a consultant and remain its biggest fan. As I’ve previously mentioned, it has been an honor to interact with such accomplished and inspiring musicians and music lovers in the progressive rock community. Long Live RoSfest!
George Roldan

John Charles Blangero
John Blangero is a scientist, musician, philanthropist, and entrepreneur. John is well known as one of the world’s leading biomedical researchers with a focus on complex disease genetics. As a singer/songwriter, he recently released his first solo album under the moniker of Sun King Rising on Peacock Sunrise Records and fronts the progressive rock band, Harlequin Reborn. He also is a co-founder and Board member of 4TellX, an Austin-based predictive analytics company.

Nick George Katona
Nick Katona is an iconic figure in progressive rock music circles as the President of the Melodic Revolution Music Group which includes record labels, Melodic Revolution Records, and PeacockSunrise Records. He has experience developing and managing small festivals as the owner and operator of an independent music store. As a music promoter, he also owns and operates Power of Prog and ReZonatZ, both internet music blog publications, and has worked as an internet DJ since 2011.

Anthony Anzalone
Tony Anzalone has a BBA in Marketing from the University of Notre Dame and has served in a variety of administrative and management roles in private industry. He has been active in the music business since the 80’s when he managed his first band. Currently, he is the manager of rock acts, Sun King Rising and Harlequin Reborn. He is also an administrator and officer in the World Prog Project. Tony now lives in Sarasota, Florida, and will take on much of the local leg work and financial management associated with RoSfest.

Rebecca Sherene Avelar
Rebecca Avelar has extensive experience in accounting and human resource management. She is currently the Director of Marketing and Promotions for the MRR Music Group and is Street Team Manager for House of Prog and Power of Prog.

Jane Margaret Octavia Brown
Octavia Brown, better-known for her close involvement with Italy’s 2Day Prog + 1 Festival, has already been a member of the RoSfest crew making her a familiar face to many prior RoSfest attendees. Based in Italy, she works as a freelance translator (recent works include the English version of Mario Giametti’s ‘Genesis – 1967 to 1975: The Peter Gabriel Years ‘) while spending most of her free time…. Hang on, what free time?

Lisa Wetton
Syracuse transplant, Lisa Wetton routed herself firmly into the progressive music scene after co-founding Smokewind Music, an agency that specialized in world and progressive music bookings, and which has recently transitioned into audio and visual production. In 2015, she retired from practicing medicine and moved to the U.K. to be closer to her beloved husband, the late music icon, John Wetton. She currently spends her days drinking tea, making compost, and getting paid to hit things. Her most recent work has been with Edison’s Children, United Progressive Fraternity, and Southern Empire.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 22:37
didnt they just announce they were shutting it down? 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 23:51
Edison’s Children a certainty for the next event, then!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 04:37
Hi,

Hopefully this new group will have the ability to also show/sell a streaming portion of the show, so that we can bypass the situation for crowds within this tough time of Covid-19.

Somewhere, along the way, the streaming thing will succeed, and it has to be at the hands of people that are ahead of the curve or ahead of the regular, over crowded idea that bands have to be in a bar, or club, or in some other place where a "crowd" is a part of it. I, sincerely, doubt that the ability of "crowds" to get together will finally happen in the next couple of years ... specially in America where politics and drug companies are fighting for their profits, instead of cure. It might be a bit different in Europe, but I'm not sure that a group of several thousand in the same room will be a safe environment for everyone, which is something that not only would hurt these places, it would also put an unwanted burden on the "progressive" idea in music.

Best of luck, and hopefully we can see the future, before we forget about it, and redo the past ... music has been like that for a long time ... classical concerts of music that is very old is the perfect example ... a famous this or that would rather play Mozart, or Beethoven or something else, than find Ian, or others just as qualified and important to the state of music of a time and place. Until the day that this complete disregard for musical ability and talent is done away with ... we will be "victims" of ... a "progression" of new music and talent during their time.

I hope to see that child in the future ... some day ... but at 70, I am already having doubts about the desire and ability to create something new ... that is not more (and the same) of the past ... we need new and fresh concepts and designs ... not old foggies doing the same thing!

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2021 at 04:39
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 04:49
ProgStock has been doing the streaming thing all year and put on a good virtual version of ProgDay. I'd say they are the ones ahead of the curve on the streaming option. I'm not really a fan, I want to see the band in person, and (un)fortunately most of the bands I like have small crowds. ProgDay was fun but not the same.
Ian

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 09:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

ProgStock has been doing the streaming thing all year and put on a good virtual version of ProgDay. I'd say they are the ones ahead of the curve on the streaming option. I'm not really a fan, I want to see the band in person, and (un)fortunately most of the bands I like have small crowds. ProgDay was fun but not the same.

Hi,

I think that the days that we could reach out and touch kinda thing, by "being there" are over for a while, and in a world that is grossly over populated, I'm not surprised to see a pandemic of some sort happen to hurt the status quo.

I think this is a part of the public's "learning curve" ... and sooner or later we won't worry about this or that concert not being good enough because there were no "people" there ... just a bunch of cameras.

Having been in theater and done film, one of the best things to learn is ... TO DO IT WHEN THERE IS NO ONE AROUND ... and just a camera or invisible fourth wall. Rock music got its attention via the media for its ability to "reach out" and "touch" the performers and we're enchanted and totally awed by that ... seeing someone we love. As such, the rock music world has elevated itself to an area that is NOW a problem, and it needs to bring that "feeling" down to the proper and correct level ... a performance has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AUDIENCE ... and the many folks that think it does and believe in that energy are kinda patting themselves in the back because they sold a gazillion tickets ... Yes, Led Zep in its first 3 or 4 years in concert (up until the singer's child died), and you didn't have to go see it to believe it ... bootlegs showed it even if the quality was not perfect ... close your eyes and the energy was insane and you could feel it ... but we're attached to "have to be there" and "touch" in order to believe ... and not really spending time learning to FEEL what it is all about.

It's almost that the perfect performer, does not do this on his piece of music, even in his bathroom, or living room, so he is more careful and attentive to what he is doing ... in many ways, rock bands have changed this, and turned the whole thing into a gimmick. Who's got the biggest _____, wow look her _______ are showing, oh my gawd ... her ___ pop'd out ... which of course can also happen while streaming or in the living room, by just being into it, anyway ... so why do we think that "seeing" a band makes a difference?

It doesn't.

I haven't seen, and probably never will folks like Mike Oldfield, Vangelis Pappathanassiou, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and these 3 alone are some of the greatest composers of our time ... but because I have not seen them does not mean I can not love and appreciate their music ... 

I think this is the time for us to CHANGE our old perspectives ... and it will help USHER A NEW AGE OF MUSIC AND WORK ... and that's a good thing ... as I said before I doubt that we will be able to see any band in a bar, club or concert for at least 2 years, maybe a lot longer than that ... the world does not seem to be interested in "fixing" the issue with Covid-19 and the number of folks lining up to collect profits is a vary scary thing and these are the folks hurting us all ... but we still keep voting for idiots and megalomaniacs ... 

As Jim Morrison once screamed ... WAKE UP .... 

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 13:41
I've been a bit out of the loop on Rosfest for a while despite posting about their retirement not too long ago so I want to thank Ian for posting this. Very interesting news(and good news at that). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 02 2021 at 13:42
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 14:01
Agreed, not really my scene but I know a lot of friends who love it and bands who've been there and said great things.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 12:39

Agreed, not really my scene but I know a lot of friends who love it and bands who've been there and said great things.

Yes, and that's why it surprises me to see you post it. I guess you will go to prog heaven now. ;) You actually posted something else recently that surprised me but now I can't remember what the hell it was. LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 03 2021 at 12:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 12:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes, and that's why it surprises me to see you post it. I guess you will go to prog heaven now. ;) You actually posted something else recently that surprised me but now I can't remember what the hell it was. LOL

Oh I know now. It was the fact that you quoted the song "change we must" by Jon Anderson in your intro here. Wink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 13:04

Oh I know now. It was the fact that you quoted the song "change we must" by Jon Anderson in your intro here. Wink

Well it's a direct cut and paste from George's press release including the intro so I can't claim any credit. I don't think I have any Jon Anderson albums though I have the obvious Yes ones. I have actually been to one ROSfest but a bunch of my friends were going plus some performing. I had a great time but it had very little to do with the music. I do like to support the scene anyway.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 03 2021 at 13:10
Ian

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 09:45
Hi,

I hope this gets off the ground, and is able to give us a magnificent show on stream that will give us 5 or 6 bands and allow this to happen.

You can sell tickets all over the world for one price, and (hopefully) the numbers will help the thing make it well so they can summon an even better and bigger show the next time around ... but forcing people to trip to small town USA and then find a place, you already invested over $500 to $700 dollars and you haven't even seen the show yet ... and that is not feasible in America at all, a place that easily fits what ... how many European countries? In Europe this is easier to a degree, since the countries are smaller ... and the USA has states bigger than most countries in Europe.

I remember a time when I could get an Eurail pass and it cost like $65 dollars (can't even remember how much ... it was included in my plane ticket!) and I could go all over Europe as far as Lithuania if I am not mistaken. I ended up not going (got really sick) and another family member went ... and she stayed in Europe and never came back here! In America you can not do this, and AMTRAK is not interested in making it a trip for you. Their costs are too much, and their trains now are handling freight at the same time as 3 cars for passengers ... which ought to tell you how much they have lost in passengers ... and driving or planeing to one of these places is prohibitive, specially for many of us older folks!

The main, and ONLY solution for America is to setup a "secure" streaming system to show the stream of various concerts, with 2 or three bands at a time ... and this "streaming" service would have to go to your IP, and the online warnings should state that you can not copy this video, as it would be a massive copyright violation that could put the concert series in trouble. As such, YouTube and other services need to help making sure that they do not allow members to post any of it, not even a portion of it ... btw. I was told that there is a security feature that will scramble and distort the contents if it is copied to somewhere else ... like the "recording" is damaged. If this is true, and the military can use it, then we are missing out on something valuable that can help us tremendously ... but my take has been that the folks that are doing this, are not 150% fans of progressive music, and they are not. and don't know how, to look for alternative solutions to take this to a higher level ... which is something that I think the older folks in this group will probably fail on quickly ... they will look for musicians and bands, and have a good attitude about that, but the actual process of getting it out to the public ... NOTHING ... except hoping that enough folks pay for a ticket to cover the bands and the location, and leave a couple of dollars for a small cold cut buffet for all the bands during the show.

I would also recommend that all the bands agree to allow a couple of things to be put on a CD to be sold a month or two later. This CD, cost wise should have its total (after expenses listed on paper with backup!!!), be distributed equally by all bands on the CD ... but my main problem would be, as an example, the 1999 SF Festival (Sean Ahearn's) would have the top 4 or 5 bands -- although I doubt that PT/SW would allow theirs at all because of the high level arseholiness of their commerciality! -- and leave behind 2 or 3 others that also were fantastic, as was the case of Lana Lane and the Rocket Scientists, who put on a massively well done and professional show, only to be ignored by many fans ... and I mean not even bothering to hear it, and it made a couple of the other acts look like ... amateurs!

Hopefully, on that day, only new music, new arts, have a chance to bring things up ... but will I or anyone else EVER see that before we are ashes and dust on the wind? 

I sincerely, and honestly, doubt it ... since the interest is not being shown at all and the comments are the same as they ever were by many others that also failed and lost their love story boat!

Edited by moshkito - February 05 2021 at 09:56
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 10:07
It's interesting that it's staying in Sarasota Florida being that George is no longer the main person in charge. I would think that it would move to whereever the new people doing it are located. I think that's actually good though because it's not good for these things to move around too much especially since it only relocated there not that long ago.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 12:35

It's interesting that it's staying in Sarasota Florida being that George is no longer the main person in charge. I would think that it would move to whereever the new people doing it are located. I think that's actually good though because it's not good for these things to move around too much especially since it only relocated there not that long ago.

I've got to assume this is a hangover from George moving the festival. I'd be amazed if they didn't look for alternative locations.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 15:55

I've got to assume this is a hangover from George moving the festival. I'd be amazed if they didn't look for alternative locations.

Yeah, I think they just didn't want to move it again so soon but I wouldn't be surprised they move it again in the next few years. Who knows. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 09:23

It's interesting that it's staying in Sarasota Florida being that George is no longer the main person in charge. I would think that it would move to where ever the new people doing it are located. I think that's actually good though because it's not good for these things to move around too much especially since it only relocated there not that long ago.

Hi,

Not sure this is a good idea ... I was thinking that a CENTRAL location would be easier and less expensive for many folks to "get there" ... but I honestly feel that any group "setting up" a place for a concert and expect to sell tickets and have fans in the seats, is ... basically ... insane. I don't see the whole Covid thing come to a slow down or close for at least 2 to 3 years, if not more ... and even then, I am not sure that I would like to go to a place and be in a room with 2 or 3K folks, for example ... and then "think" that the concert managers and producers "succeeded".

This needs to be a good/strong result, and I sincerely doubt that it can be done in a location in Florida or anywhere else in the country ... you're alienating fools from California, Oregon and Washington ... for example ... on costs alone ... and Florida "rentals" are much more expensive than those (let's say maybe) in Saint Louis, or Kansas City.

The logistics and thoughts seem to be based on old thinking ... and if you look at the "mavericks" in all music in the 20th century, almost ALL OF THEM were NOT a part of the old line of folks ... end of story ... and this is also true for the most valuable and important folks in PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, all of which left behind AM Radio and took up residence with something new at the time FM Radio, which was in STEREO, while AM Radio was simply ugly mono, not to mention that they cut up songs senseless including words ... I mean I bet you have not heard "Money" in its cut up voice with a few words blanked out!

We need new blood ... not old blood ... and no disrespect to some of the folks ... but I have not met many old "foggies" that were more important artistically than our beloved music and fans!
www.pedrosena.com
Progdictator View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progdictator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:50
There is one thing these new board members have to do... sell tickets, put butts in seats...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 20:11
Originally posted by Progdictator Progdictator wrote:

There is one thing these new board members have to do... sell tickets, put butts in seats...

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, btw

This is the hard part ... for the next 2 or 3 years, this is going to be very difficult and the expense to make sure that all precautions are being taken including a couple of nurses and what not to take temperatures and ask questions, is probably not something that is expected or wanted ... and a hall with 3k seats will be lucky to be allowed by ANY CITY to put 1K people in there next year or in 2023. 

Maybe if the vaccine works and all that ... but the scares of sitting next to someone and going home sick with the dreaded lurgi ... is probably not something that most of us will be comfortable with ... specially the older folks. 

I would love to see a sold out auditorium with 3K or 5K folks or a show like RW or PF with more than 25K folks in the audience ... but I think this is all history for a long time to come ... as much as I wish it weren't so.
www.pedrosena.com
Progdictator View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progdictator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 14:16
And who knows what financial situation everybody will be in when this thing begins to clear. This is not only includes the people that would attend the festival, but also the bands. Even venues and sound companies are gonna be a little bit picky about who they work with, because it’s going to be about the survival of their business as well. The powers that be at RosFest have admitted that there has been a decline in attendance, and people have reported seeing a very disappointing turn out. So with this, and any other festival as well as live music in general it’s going to be a battle ahead.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 15:02
With a name like Progdictator you could start your own prog festival. You could be in charge of everything. No one could tell you what bands to book or how to run things. If they don't like it they don't have to attend. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>