Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: The Final Cut.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd: The Final Cut.
    Posted: February 02 2021 at 13:11
What's the final word on the last album with Roger? I applaud the lyrics but musically, it leaves a lot to be desired. So, what's your final take on The Final Cut?

Edited by SteveG - February 02 2021 at 13:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 13:45
Worst album Floyd ever released, the only one I've ever gotten rid of. Should have been a Waters solo album.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 14:17
I prefer The Final Cut to both Ummagumma & Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and totally disagree with some hackneyed music journos who gave the album the unkindest cut of all - with the exception of Rolling Stone  who were One of the Few music journals to give The Final Cut a positive review:-  "essentially a Roger Waters solo album ... a superlative achievement on several levels". Thumbs Up

For the ultimate Final Cut experience though, you need to see the movie. Smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 14:18
It should have been a Waters solo effort. The band had long ceased to be anything resembling a collective.

I still think some of it stands up pretty well. There are some extremely emotional moments on there, especially Southampton Dock and Two Suns in the Sunset, and the narrative is pretty powerful.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 14:24
It has its moments, but it sounds too much like a repeat of The Wall, just with less interesting songs. Had it been released as a Roger Waters album, which essentially it was, I guess it would have had a better reception, but it is not a favourite of mine.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 15:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

For the ultimate Final Cut experience though, you need to see the movie. Smile

I agree that all Waters solo albums (including this one, if you wish) should've been released with all the videos or film accompanying it.

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

It has its moments, but it sounds too much like a repeat of The Wall just with less interesting songs. Had it been released as a Roger Waters album, which essentially it was, I guess it would have had a better reception, but it is not a favourite of mine.

Not at all, really! One might find topics linked, but musically The Wall is a Synth fest, whereas TFC is basically all piano & organ, which is a return to early 70's Floyd, though with a very different vibe.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 16:05
It's depressing.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 16:08
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It's depressing.
Well, Roger was never a feel good type of lyricist.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 20:09
It should have been a Waters solo album.

It's a great album.  It happens to be my wife's favorite Pink Floyd album and it would make my top five.

I don't necessarily agree with the lyrics, but I understand and appreciate them and the place they came from.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 00:37
Very enjoyable and engaging, I consider this album unfairly underrated.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 02:21
Like the album a lot. Don't really care about the provenance, just the music.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 06:29
Been a while since I spun the disc, but I remember really liking "Not Now John'.
I'll have to put it on this afternoon.

Edited by JD - February 03 2021 at 06:30
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 06:31
^ A really wild song! I'm surprised that it doesn't get more love.
haerskar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haerskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 07:35
I thought that was the end of  it for Pink Floyd when that whatever you want to call it came out. Just Roger whining and droning on and on and on. Didn't even like The Wall but I liked the live Berlin Wall production with other musicians playing. I even have the DVD.
" First you learn the instrument, then you learn the music, then you forget all that sh*t and just play." Charlie Parker
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 09:16
I like it a lot -- certainly MUCH better than the next couple of really sh*tty albums that came out after.

Underrated like "Animals" and "Meddle"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 09:31
I think David Gilmour said it succinctly: "F*ck all that we've got to get on with these."
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 11:13
It is in the middle of my PF studio albums list: a good album. But I agree with many here that it should have been released under Rog's own name since he seems to have trapped his fellow band members in a lockdown.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 12:06
Just finished the re-listening of this one and to be honest, there's a reason I remembered Not Now John, it's the only one worth remembering. It would have fit well in The Wall, but then it would have had to be a triple LP/CD and I don't think anyone wants that.
Now that I've heard the whole thing I don't regret for a moment getting rid of the LP.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 15:03
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Just finished the re-listening of this one and to be honest, there's a reason I remembered Not Now John, it's the only one worth remembering. It would have fit well in The Wall, but then it would have had to be a triple LP/CD and I don't think anyone wants that.
I thought that the Wall was a triple album. Must be somekind of subliminal sign.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 15:05
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Now that I've heard the whole thing I don't regret for a moment getting rid of the LP.

When it was released as a single in the UK, the lyrics were changed from “f**k all that” to “stuff all that”, this to protect the delicate sensibilities of the British yoof.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>