Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: The Final Cut.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 15:09
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Just finished the re-listening of this one and to be honest, there's a reason I remembered Not Now John, it's the only one worth remembering. It would have fit well in The Wall, but then it would have had to be a triple LP/CD and I don't think anyone wants that.
Now that I've heard the whole thing I don't regret for a moment getting rid of the LP.

When it was released as a single in the UK, the lyrics were changed from “f**k all that” to “stuff all that”, this to protect the delicate sensibilities of the British yoof.
I recall that the sanitised version even got some airplay on a couple of New York FM stations. For about a week.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 16:06
Maybe worthy of it's own discussion but the worse b@stardisation of a PF related product was the censored cover to Pros and Cons Of Hitch Hiking.

I mean...SERIOUSLY ?

Edited by JD - February 03 2021 at 16:07
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 17:02
I used to love it. Played during the first Gulf war. Now it's hard to sit through.
You can see a thread between Wish You Were Here and Animals as it's still the Pink Floyd band. The same band can be heard on The Wall.
But the thread between The Wall and The Final Cut isn't a thread. It's more rusted barbed wire.
Checking the connections and the band must have really been destroyed trying to get Pink Floyd The Wall Movie up and running.
Your Possible Pasts I like. Two Suns In The Sunset.
But if the band had seemingly ran out of ideas and couldn't collaborate as well.
Then... Well it came out as a Pink Floyd album. And that was that.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 18:31
Still love it but find listening to the whole in one sitting to be a slog......it seems Side 2 never changes tone or key.  I still rate it above the Wall due to its high points, just wish Roger had written more than half an albums worth of material.......I swear I hear little bits of the Wall all over Cut.   
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 21:49
Not among my favourites from Floyd, by a long shot, but it's still got some really great songs. Among them, The Hero's Return is particularly frustrating, because it's so short... but I was able to download a single version of it, that includes, parts 1 AND 2 together, making the song long enough to be enjoyable... why it was left out of the album, and why was it not included when the album was reissued with When the Tigers Broke Free included (if only they had also included that whole song, I would have actually bought the album again).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 21:52
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I used to love it. Played during the first Gulf war. Now it's hard to sit through.
You can see a thread between Wish You Were Here and Animals as it's still the Pink Floyd band. The same band can be heard on The Wall.
But the thread between The Wall and The Final Cut isn't a thread. It's more rusted barbed wire.
Checking the connections and the band must have really been destroyed trying to get Pink Floyd The Wall Movie up and running.
Your Possible Pasts I like. Two Suns In The Sunset.
But if the band had seemingly ran out of ideas and couldn't collaborate as well.
Then... Well it came out as a Pink Floyd album. And that was that.

I don't think I wholly agree with you... I mean, yeah, there's not much of a similarity between TFC and WYWH or Animals, but I can hear the evolution from The Wal to it, and I can even imagine many of the songs fitting on The Wall, both musically and lyrically. However, I guess I understand your point of view, and I guess there's a very obvious explanation (well, at least two), and that's Richard Wright's absence (as well as the total control Waters took over this album).
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 09:43
I feel Gilmour should have sang more. But that's impossible as he just wasn't into the material. "Call me when you need a guitar solo".
It just doesn't sound like a band album.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 09:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I prefer The Final Cut to both Ummagumma & Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and totally disagree with some hackneyed music journos who gave the album the unkindest cut of all - with the exception of Rolling Stone  who were One of the Few music journals to give The Final Cut a positive review:-  "essentially a Roger Waters solo album ... a superlative achievement on several levels".Thumbs Up

For the ultimate Final Cut experience though, you need to see the movie. Smile

You really don’t live up to your user name

Ummagumma is one of the coolest trip journeys ever

The final cut is ok but rather mediocre

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 09:53
Hmmm. Maybe Unpsychedelic Paul would be better.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 11:12
Love Gilmour's playing on the album but his voice is missing - too much Roger, just like on the Wall.  It changed the sound of the Floyd - from Animals on, Roger's voice and words backed by a very familiar session band.....call me when you need a solo, indeed.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 19:16
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Worst album Floyd ever released, the only one I've ever gotten rid of. Should have been a Waters solo album.

this!!!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 19:43
I haven't heard it or owned it in quite a while. I think it probably should have been a Roger Waters solo album. Over all it's not bad though and has some good moments. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12