Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A cross between Drama and 90125?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 16:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It might've been Union-ish .

Maybe.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 17:22
Big smile

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was thinking about this the other day. I was wondering what would it sound like if there was an album that was released by Yes or Yes related members in between Drama and 90125. Yes, I know 90125 was built from the ground up by former members of Yes and not intended originally to be Yes but for the sake of argument let's pretend there was an unreleased album that had the lineup of say Downes, Rabin, Anderson, Squire and White. So what I'm wondering is what actual albums sound like they would qualify for this? Moving Pictures by Rush? Nah, not really. An album by Saga maybe. What do you guys come up with?

It happened, and it's a great album.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 18:03
Garbage posts hidden. Keep your rooms clean, or no supper.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 18:14
I feel like 90125 is a lot more progressive than people give it credit for. The production value at the very least deserves a nod.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 18:46
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I feel like 90125 is a lot more progressive than people give it credit for. The production value at the very least deserves a nod.

Personally, I like it a lot. And I like all the albums before it. "It Can Happen" is a great song.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 20:05

It's progressive in a different way than the 70's stuff if that makes sense. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 20:13
I don't know about an album between both of them with that line-up, but about songs that might have been released at that point, there's the songs that ended up in the Fly From Here suite, that were written since back then (by Trevor Horn, I guess), but were not released at the time. Another one is Mind Drive, that had a part written at about that time too for the XYZ project with Jimmy Page, which never happened.
vmartell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vmartell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 03:22
Fantastic! I was scanning to see if someone made the post/suggestion re: Eddie Jobson's Zinc! :D 

Indeed - the middle ground between Drama and 90125

v

(First post btw)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 08:35
Originally posted by vmartell vmartell wrote:

Fantastic! I was scanning to see if someone made the post/suggestion re: Eddie Jobson's Zinc! :D 

Indeed - the middle ground between Drama and 90125

v

(First post btw)

Welcome aboard! What can I say...great minds!
Snareman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snareman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 08:43
Most likely, one side of the vinyl would have drama style prog, (possibly a 20 minute suite) and the other side would be filled with radio friendly pop rock akin to 90125.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 11:48

Personally, I like it a lot. And I like all the albums before it. "It Can Happen" is a great song.

I'm convinced the only reason 90125 is reviewed with such faint praise on this site is because 2 songs made the Top 40 and the band received massive exposure on MTV.

90125 became the "gateway drug" to introduce younger fans to the band, who went out and bought the earlier albums (such as I did) and loved them, even though Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin have vastly different guitar styles. 37 years after its release, 90125 remains my favorite rock album of all time.

It's the albums that came out AFTER 90125 that are problematic! 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 14:26
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I'm convinced the only reason 90125 is reviewed with such faint praise on this site is because 2 songs made the Top 40 and the band received massive exposure on MTV.

90125 became the "gateway drug" to introduce younger fans to the band, who went out and bought the earlier albums (such as I did) and loved them, even though Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin have vastly different guitar styles. 37 years after its release, 90125 remains my favorite rock album of all time.

That's right!

Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

It's the albums that came out AFTER 90125 that are problematic!

True, until we get to Keys to Ascension. Then we're back in business.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 15:03

It looks like what comes up when you mix beer and cinnamon schnapps.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 17:57
Scroll to the top of the page, Elf!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 01:38
I still prefer Talk to 90125 but hey ho.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:41
Both are excellent albums in their own right, and I very much like the idea of an album in between the two, with Anderson back in the fold, but Trevor Horn in the production seat. Could have been very interesting.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 15:00

I immediately thought 'Talk' but then I read the limitations of the opening post....

But I still think the correct answer is 'Talk' Wink

Edited by earlyprog - March 03 2021 at 15:39
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 21:27
Only thing that pops to mind is GTR. A short-lived band featuring both Steve Howe and Steve Hackett, they embraced what I'd call "prog pop".  I guess another would be Asia.  Essentially all of those releases (Drama, 90125, Asia, GTR) fall under "prog pop" which is such a contradiction in terms it's hysterical.  

Thing is, I consider all of them to range from "meh...pretty good" (Asia, GTR) to "yeah, that's cool" (90125) to "hell yes!" (Drama). 
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 21:29
Unlike many hardcore Yes fans I have no problem with 90125. Probably bc I was 17 when it came out and loved it immediately and got to see the band live where they played all the classics. So I will always have a soft spot in my heart for it. 

Big Generator?  Now that's pure crap. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 00:48
Big Generator is the only Yes album that I legit forget it a Yes album.

It successfully isolates itself out of my ear range; Talk stands out more for me, lol.

As for this thread's original premise, it's probably a good thing we can't come to a conclusion LOL.

Drama is still my favorite "post-Yes" (OG lineup) record...for the record! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>