Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Doors - What Do You Think About Them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Doors - What Do You Think About Them?
    Posted: February 07 2021 at 09:18
I always thought The Doors were the first real progressive rock group. Some might say The Beatles, but I don't think so.

First off, it's stunning that The Doors first album was in 1967, and L.A. Woman was released in 1971, which are both my favorite albums, but if I had to pick one, it would probably be "L.A. Woman".. "The Doors" self-entitled album starts with "Break on Through" and ends with one of my favorite songs by any group, "The End", but what's in the middle isn't as strong as L.A. Woman.

Back to "prog" - take all the different rhythms this band utilized in their very short time together.
-bossa nova
-Latin
-Tango
-Shuffle
-Military
-Jazz
-Tribal
-Rock
-Blues
-German Oompah
-Waltz
-Native American
-Disco (Peace Frog)
-Wild Child (whatever that is, during the verse, is awesome)
-Funky (The Changeling)
-Consistent Pounding on "Spanish Caravan"
-And whatever rhythm would be classified on "Love Me Two Times", going all over the toms, while keeping the beat

Musically, also very diverse. You had Robby with his flamenco, Middle-Eastern, Indiana influences, along with the bottleneck bluesy stuff, jazz, etc etc.... Ray with his classical influences, some boogie-woogie, jazz, etc., and with Jim's creativity, not just the lyrics, but how he delivered them rhythmically (with great melodies to accompany them), his pauses between lines that are simple, but always stuck with me, "Cops in cars, the topless bars, never saw a woman............ so alone"... speaking of L.A. Woman "motel, money, murder, madness" (I like alliteration), or unique phrases, hell, even interesting titles like "Peace Frog", "The Soft Parade" and many others.

Anyway, I'm sure many of you have things to add, so I'll stop there, but I'll post a cool interview of Jim, which is contrary to the lie that oliver stone movie was, and I'd advise the young people who haven't got "into" them to go to the primary sources - the band, not rumors of debauchery (Grace Slick admitting on Roseanne Barr's talk show she lied about having sex with Morrison, because her publisher paid her a million bucks) and second-hand rumors... Check out video, audio, print interview to have a good blueprint, and THEN read the books (Friends Gathered Together, Summer With Morrison)... Too many times (not here) I have discussions where someone references an inaccuracy from a movie, or whatever, and it sticks in their head, since it's been said that first impressions tend to stick the most, along with convenient fact, as opposed to truthful nuance.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 09:20
video not working (for me)

also, how is Peace Frog disco? ConfusedLOL
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 09:35
One of my favourite bands of all time. Very thorough opening message, so I don't know if I have much to add...

My favourite albums are debut (all superb tracks, only "I Looked at You" is average), Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman. If you listen to any of the albums through, especially debut and Waiting... you can just admire Manzarek & Krieger & Densmore's versatility in any style they choose to play and arranging skills when they combine different influences. 

I like Oliver Stone's film, although it's been years since I last saw it. Of course anyone watching it should remember it's not a documentary. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 10:01
John Densmore is a superb drummer who should get a lot more appreciation. My favourite Doors albums are the debut, "Strange Days" and "L. A. Woman".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 11:09
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Grace Slick admitting on Roseanne Barr's talk show she lied about having sex with Morrison, because her publisher paid her a million bucks

Don't know about sex, but I guess she lied about a million bucks. She never looked like a million dollar baby.LOL

As for the Doors, in my opinion they're one of those bands that are bigger than any genre, be it prog or blues or whatever.

Edited by NotAProghead - February 07 2021 at 11:34
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 11:32
For a brief period during my youth I listened to them obsessively, but by my second year of college I was thoroughly over them. I recently listened to their output again for the first time in years. They were a better band than I recalled, and there are a handful of songs I like, some for the music, some for the paranoia, but overall they're not for me.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 11:43
I used to be a big fan long ago, i overplayed their albums, I rarely listen tot hem these days. 
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 12:13
Not sure I would call them prog, but I really like the Doors; especially the first two albums which contain some very original music. I also really like LA Woman, but the in between albums I think are so-so.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 12:52
Good rock band...have all of their studio lp's ...they came out when I was a junior in high school and we all liked their stuff.  Bought the 45's as well as the lp's.
Prog..? Who knows?..I never saw them that way but then I was 16 -19 yrs old  at the time. 
I thought Morrison was a great front man..but I was always a little disappointed that the other players weren't a bit more dynamic as musicians. This is not dismissing them but I wanted heavier blues rock guitar leads and louder drums and bass to match , but that simply wasn't their style. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 09:06
Progressive no, of course not, a great rock band with some psych tendencies and heavy blues mainly. Growing up that's almost all you heard was The Doors they were huge especially in So California.
I have a couple albums as they were never my cup of tea, but I appreciate and like the debut and s/t albums more today than I ever did.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 11:05
Suppose you go through a phase of being into them. I'm not as much now, plus I like a British band that are miles away from The Doors but I get more from. (Manic Street Preachers)
I won't switch over if The Doors come on. They were still a great band. Solid albums. I prefer the first three albums over the later.
But L.A. Woman really was a high Jim left on.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 11:24
I really like The Doors, but I would argue that The Mothers of Invention have a stronger early Progressive Rock claim as well as others.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 11:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I really like The Doors, but I would argue that The Mothers of Invention have a stronger early Progressive Rock claim as well as others.

Pet Sounds always gets the acclaim but Freak Out doesn't! Sorry, maybe for another thread.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 07:26
I'd agree that their masterpieces are the debut, 'The Doors' and 'LA Woman' the bookends of the Jim Morrison era - bit of a mixed bag in between tho.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 08:02
Bit of a hit and miss for me. Sometime Jimmy is just screaming too much for my liking.

This is my doors assorted CD (not in this order)

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 08:36
Love the Doors, particularly Morrison Hotel, Strange Days and LA Woman. I do own all their studio LPs.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 08:40
When the Music's Over and Summer's Almost Gone, spare a thought for Jim Morrison: forever remembered as one of the Riders on the Storm in the world of Psychedelic Rock. When Jim left for France with his L.A Woman by his side in the Indian Summer of 1971, no one could possibly have guessed he would Break On Through to the Other Side at the End of the Night in his Morrison Hotel room in Paris, after returning from a Moonlight Drive. Only earlier that day, he'd been cruising down The Soft Parade of Paris storefronts with his Wild Child L.A. girlfriend, while Waiting for the Sun to go down on the Champs de Elysee. When fans and fellow band members of The Doors heard the shocking news that Jim Morrison had died,  An American Prayer was said for him around the world in the Strange Days that followed. That wasn't The End for The Doors though, because events have now come Full Circle. The legacy of The Doors music lives on forever, and as you'll hear in the fabulous concert below,  Other Voices have carried the timeless music of Jim Morrison & The Doors well into the 21st century. So what are we waiting for..... The time to hesitate is through, no time to wallow in the mire, so come on baby, Light My FireSmile  Heart

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 13:48
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

When Jim left for France with his L.A Woman by his side in the Indian Summer of 1971
To Indian Summer of 1971 Jim found his final resting place in Père Lachaise Cemetary, far from his L.A. Woman.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 14:24
Had to dig deep into my portfolio for these. From a 2003 European Family Vacation.
You would not believe how hard it is to find, or to convince my wife and 11 year old (at the time) son to make the trek with me.

Edited by JD - March 12 2021 at 14:27
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 15:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

video not working (for me)

also, how is Peace Frog disco? ConfusedLOL

Look up the video "Jim Morrison Tony Thomas Interview" -it's probably the best one out there.

As for "Peace Frog", how isn't it disco? The constant bass drum, even the double-time on the hi-hat, bass line, the rhythm guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>