Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The R&R Hall of Shame!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 12:50
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^Imagine that right? I suppose next they'll say Jazz was invented and perfected in the US. What poppycock!

Poppycock indeed...and next they'll be saying the blues was invented in the US.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 20:14
Fela Kuti! 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 23:44
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Fela Kuti! 

I'm glad that I'm not the only who appreciates Fela Kuti here. And if one, as the OP seems to, is interested about Prog connections, of course he has worked with Ginger Baker (on one studio album and one live). Baker Gurvitz Army is in Heavy Prog, and Baker has appeared on various albums in PA. To me Cream is Proto-Prog, but that's by-the-by and Baker Gurvitz army relates to one in Proto-Prog called Gun.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 07:03
If nothing else I'm happy this years nominee list introduced me to Fela Kuti. Will certainly pick up a couple on bandcamp
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:08
I've heard plenty of rants about the HOF here and other places, and ranted myself a bit.  When I was complaining to a friend that King Crimson should be inducted he pointed out that its the Rock & Roll Hall of FAME, and KK were just not famous enough.  That made me think more about what the hall is about. So, while not strictly true, the majority of the acts have a degree of FAME that allows them entry (in spite of the management's contention that they don't consider record sales, etc.). 

I think part of the problem of why bands like ELP, Jethro Tull, and KK don't get in is because, (if I understand it correctly), the initial nomination group is just too small.  Its good that they now include public opinion in their consideration of inductees, but I think P.O. is still not used for the initial list of nominees.

Anyway, for this year I got on and voted for Iron Maiden, Todd Rundgren, Kate Bush, Tina Turner, and Rage Against the Machine.  The Public results are here:

Z
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:14
So who here has been to the RRHOF?
I've only ever heard it exists, absolutely nothing about what it contains or what the real allure is.
Are we talking stage clothing and used guitars behind glass? Is there a movie theatre or concert room in it?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:27
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I've only ever heard it exists, absolutely nothing about what it contains or what the real allure is.
Are we talking stage clothing and used guitars behind glass? Is there a movie theatre or concert room in it?

The RRHoF is quite like the Area 51 of the rock world to me. I know it exists in some form but don’t really know what actually is there, or goes on behind the scenes. Alien autopsies, or just Foreigner AOR-rocksies?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The RRHoF is quite like the Area 51 of the rock world to me. I know it exists in some form but don’t really know what actually is there, or goes on behind the scenes. Alien autopsies, or just Foreigner AOR-rocksies?

Foreigner is not in the RnRHOF. LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:42
official web site...for those interested...they have exhibits, memorabilia, etc..

Edited by dr wu23 - February 14 2021 at 12:44
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 12:43
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Foreigner is not in the RnRHOF. LOL

It’s so shrouded in mystery to me that I can’t say whether that’s a conspiracy theory or not. For all I know, Foreigner is locked in the basement of the Hall of Fame being prodded and probed by groupies, or research is being done using those Foreigners to make music that kills. For all I know, the Hall of Fame is part of Area 51, and the Foreigners are so foreign that they are indeed aliens from another world. My point is that like with Area 51, there are things we just don’t know, or at least I don’t know. A mystery to me shrouded in an enigma.

EDiT: I chose Foreigner because it means alien, and Area 51 has had many conspiracy theories including ones that involve aliens. I could have gone with the band UFO, or others.

Edited by Logan - February 14 2021 at 13:17
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 13:04
How many prog fans watched Rush and Yes get indicted on HB0? Just curious.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 16:27
^ So the members of Rush and Yes finally snapped. What did they do to get indicted? Kill some people? Scheme to blow up their musical rivals? Doesn't sound like something Rush would do.

lol LOL

Seriously though, I did not watch them get inducted into the RRHOF. I only watched the live number with Geddy Lee playing bass for Yes.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 22:37

I've visited. It's ok, a lot of CDs on high priced sale. Didn't think to check whether what was on sale matched the inductees. Still got the t shirt which has worn well over it travels. No one's ever remarked on it.

There is a, er, cinema show. The highlight being the Sex Pistols refusal. The holes in the history make it fall a bit flat. The Wall was a v. big display. The auditorium is intimate, no wonder it's 10K per ticket.

3/5
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 06:37
What is $10,000 per ticket?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 06:43

What is $10,000 per ticket?

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 08:48
So the artists have to pay to get in?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 09:03

So the artists have to pay to get in?
Yessir. And their families.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 09:11
It may be a non-profit, but of course people who work for it certainly do profit (as is common):

Greg Harris     PRESIDENT & CEO     40     $549,638
Tim Offtermatt     VP-FINANCE     40     $233,668
Karen Herman     VP-CURATORIAL AFFAIRS     40     $232,066
Liz Peschges     VP-CULTURE & STRATEGY     40     $200,054
Jason Hanley     VP-EDUCATION&VISITOR ENGAG     40     $196,274
Dionne Broadus     VP-DEVELOPMENT     40     $179,928
Dawn Wayt     VP-SALES & MARKETING     40     $177,158
Tim Parnin     VP-DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY     40     $169,394
Craig Inciardi     CURATOR&DIR-ACQUISITIONS     40     $153,258
Laurie Kosanovich     GENERAL COUNSEL&ASST.SECRE     32     $132,383
Rob Weil     SENIOR DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT     40     $126,185
Heidi Quicksilver     INTERIM VP-INFO.TECHNOLOGY     40     $118,662

See: https://nonprofitlight.com/oh/cleveland/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-and-museum-inc

It seems that this Greg is in the wrong business (that is if you can count any of my work towards this Progarchives Hall of Infamy as a business or as work).

Edited by Logan - February 15 2021 at 09:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 09:32

It may be a non-profit, but of course people who work for it certainly do profit (as is common):

Greg Harris     PRESIDENT & CEO     40     $549,638
Tim Offtermatt     VP-FINANCE     40     $233,668
Karen Herman     VP-CURATORIAL AFFAIRS     40     $232,066
Liz Peschges     VP-CULTURE & STRATEGY     40     $200,054
Jason Hanley     VP-EDUCATION&VISITOR ENGAG     40     $196,274
Dionne Broadus     VP-DEVELOPMENT     40     $179,928
Dawn Wayt     VP-SALES & MARKETING     40     $177,158
Tim Parnin     VP-DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY     40     $169,394
Craig Inciardi     CURATOR&DIR-ACQUISITIONS     40     $153,258
Laurie Kosanovich     GENERAL COUNSEL&ASST.SECRE     32     $132,383
Rob Weil     SENIOR DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT     40     $126,185
Heidi Quicksilver     INTERIM VP-INFO.TECHNOLOGY     40     $118,662

See: https://nonprofitlight.com/oh/cleveland/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-and-museum-inc

It seems that this Greg is in the wrong business (that is if you can count any of my work towards this Progarchives Hall of Infamy as a business or as work).

This Greg would have difficulty whoring myself out to the RRHOF, but at $500k at least I'd be a highly paid prostitute. Wink
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 10:12
What exactly is rock?

My rock encyclopedia embraces folk, pop, disco, reggae, soul, funk, hiphop, electronica, dance, techno etc. But not f.e. schlager pop, easy listening, Tin Pan Alley or the French chanson tradition. There are aticles about the Prodigy, Snoop Dogg, Jean Michel-Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Britney Spears and Spice Girls, but not Julio Iglesias, Nana Mouskouri or Jacques Brel.

Edited by The Anders - February 18 2021 at 10:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>