Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chick Corea Elektric Band Fan Page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chick Corea Elektric Band Fan Page
    Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:44
The Elektric Band put out five incredible albums between 1986 and 1991. Beneath the Mask is my favorite. This band is rarely discussed on PA. Let's change that.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:04
Thanks!  I saw them in Tulsa, OK in 1990, they were quite amazing.  Frank Gambale on guitar was remarkable, and the entire performance was sublime.

They played in a tiny venue (Tulsa Center for Contemporary Arts) which was part music performance space, part art gallery, part artist workspace....I have fond memories of performing there myself with various acts. 

They were the equal of RTF but rarely mentioned in those terms.  I'm not familiar with their recorded discography but need to address that. 

Edited by cstack3 - February 12 2021 at 20:37
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:20
CHARGED PARTICLES BABY! Saw them live in 2016 at the Catalina Bar and Grill in Los Angeles. I had never heard them before. They started with that track. Blew my brain out.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:49
The Elektric Band may have been one of Corea's favorites to make music with.  Since the 80s when they were formed Chick has had a number of reunion tours with them.  In fact most recently over the last few months he was in rehearsals with them to head out in 2021 on another reunion tour with them (see the video below).  I think he preferred the Elektric because their playing was a little less structured than RTF and more soloing (more just plain playing).  As with any band Chick played with the members are some of the best in the game.   John Patitucci, Dave Weckl, Frank Gambale, and Eric Marienthal are still at the top of their game (even 35 years since the start of the group). I still say that Gambale is one of the best guitarist still active today (at the ripe young age of 62). I would hope they would find some way to go out on tour this year (control of the virus willing) in honor of Chick.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:54
When I was getting into fusion some thirty-odd years ago, I went nuts when players launched into unison lines. I thought it was so cool. And I still do! Big smile

Here's a rock solid example. Start at 12:00, unless you feel like watching the whole clip!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:56
P.S. That's the early line-up with Scott Henderson, not Frank Gambale, on guitar. 1986! Patitucci wasn't even 27!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 12:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks!  I saw them in Tulsa, OK in 1991, they were quite amazing.  Frank Gambale on guitar was remarkable, and the entire performance was sublime.
I saw them on the same tour, Beneath the Mask, in KC MO, 3rd row center. My jaw was on the floor for the entire show.

Great comments, all. Keep em coming.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:05
I've only heard the first album (this had to be at least 10 years ago now), and I did like it, although not as much as RTF or various other albums in his discog. Sounds like a good time to remedy this oversite. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:09
CCEB – "Kicker" (OV) from Inside Out (1990).

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:53
Here is a music video from their first album. I didn't know they did such things. The clothes and hair styles date this, but the music smokes.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:59
I didn't know they made some videos, either. Pretty cool.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Here is a music video from their first album. I didn't know they did such things. The clothes and hair styles date this, but the music smokes.

"Elektric City" is a classic. It's very melodic and a discernibly commercial theme. It could've (maybe did?) served as a theme for a talk show or film, especially with that DX sine patch Chick loved.

Something cracked me up: Scott must have insisted on having his cord plugged in and visible in that one shot. I don't see it in the others, and it's not like they're not miming, anyway. It's a video!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:36
I've stated somewhere that Chick and the Elektric Band have had several reunions over the 35 years they've been together.  The clip below is from the 2003 reunion tour.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 20:01
R.I.P. to a legend Cry

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 23:24
Excellent thread and links! RIP Chick, one of my biggest fusion influences. He was absolutely unique and I always enjoyed this little reference sheet (and watching people argue over it and miss his magic, lol):

RIP Chick.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 00:10
^Brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply