Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Question about Ayreon

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What do you think about Ayreon?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.76%]
4 [19.05%]
3 [14.29%]
3 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [9.52%]
2 [9.52%]
1 [4.76%]
1 [4.76%]
4 [19.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Question about Ayreon
    Posted: February 17 2021 at 00:18
I'm curious about your opinions here, I've grown tired of this band, I don't listen to them anymore, was annoyed about the constant hype around even when I enjoyed listening to them every once in a while. 

I put the "other" option if none of my options in the poll match your thoughts on the band. Smile

Edited by Cristi - February 17 2021 at 00:19
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 00:24
Symphony X is literally all I've ever wanted or needed for progressive metal, as people accept said label as.

After that I just go for tech/extreme prog.

Ayreon never did anything for my ears.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 00:27
Option #3 for moi 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 01:09
I guess option 4

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 02:35
Option 2 for me. Up there with DT and Nightwish.

First listen was The Human Equation and it blew me away on first listen (2011). I love everything up to and including The Theory Of Everything, but the last two are not so good, especially the most recent.

But Arjen Lucassen is a musical hero of mine, up there with Oldfield and Mike Holmes. I know his stuff can be cheesy, but I can live with that. Just love his blend of metal/folk/musical/classical. And he's a lovely dorky bloke!
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 02:58
Don't really listen to him anymore, yet #2 still.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 04:41
One of the best progressive metal bands, surely.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 05:49
I clicked on "other option." They're sort of a mixed bag for me. Several albums I consider fantastic and several I feel are middle-of-the-road. I also have some difficulties with the prog metal label their filed under. I don't doubt that's where they belong on PA, but their music straddles prog metal with multiple other genres and that's what I find appealing about the band; these psychedelic and symphonic prog overtones are a nice mix with the metal side of the band. My faves are Into the Electric Castle, Universal Migrator Part 1, Actual Fantasy Revisited (not the original version), The Human Equation, and The Theory of Everything. I was disappointed in Transitus, though I thought Tom Baker did a fantastic job of narrating it. I feel like with the last two albums, Ayreon seems to be falling into that "comfortable formula" trap that happens to so many bands after they've had a series of great albums under their belt.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 08:25
The Human Equation is a masterpiece, but looking at the whole discography it's a bit too repetitive. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:04
Other opinion: I think it occupies a "unique" place within the progressive metal domain. So, even if there are prog metal bands that I like more than them, I cannot say "they are better" than Ayreon.

Edited by Shadowyzard - February 17 2021 at 11:05
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 13:40
Not bad but not that good either
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 18:10
Ayreon are one of the best prog metal bands as far as I am concerned and I have Transitus ranked as my #1 album of 2020, so I am not in agreement with others that don't like it.  I like that he tells a story.  If there is one complaint about Transitus, it is that it doesn't tie in to the other Ayreon albums.  It is a separate rock opera with no connection to the rest of the albums.  That being said, I still enjoyed the story...including the narration.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 19:00
Never really liked them.
 Post Reply Post Reply