Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdmin Request

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admin Request
    Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:32
Hi,

One of the things that shows some really bad taste, and is also quite visible in "social media" platforms, is how so many folks reply to something rudely, and completely out of context.

Personally, I agree with the idea of freedom of speech and some respect, but this is not the case here in some folks that continually, and completely, ignore the thread, only to make a comment that is NOT A PART OF THE DISCUSSION, and then someone comment that the poster would not know what they were talking about ... heck, if you don't know, why don't you ask for a clearer write up????? Is that too much to ask?

I can handle the heckling OK ... I was a theater major and did a lot of "speech" classes and I am aware of being in front of an audience and some folks not liking what is in front of them ... but if you don't like it ... why are you responding? LEAVE! Or at least explain your side of things! (Which I always do!)

I would like to request that some admins take to this a bit better, as a way to keep/maintain the comments and discussions much more on the level they need to be ... and that is not to say that some responses are not quite clear, and in my case, I always tried to make sure what I wrote was better related. But seeing comments like ... "assume that he knows what he is talking about" ... or "bye!" ... as replies are not fair ... not only do they not add to the contents, the folks involved are not adding the comments as to why they stated what they did ... and thus, they are not "on thread" and something should be said by a "referee" to stop that abuse ... 

We want to have a nice board about progressive music? Some of those folks whose comments are not really comments at all about the thread need to be addressed ... and while I respect them enough to not say they are not needed here, they do have some good points to make now and then, but these are so very rare ... and they spend their time trashing someone else's comments?

What is PA about anyway? Just another Twitter and Facebook and what not that can spend their time throwing a finger around? Please M@x and Admins ... take a stand ... we want to help the music, not show that the folks that supposed "like it", in essence don't really care about the music ... they are here for their favorites, not the rest of the music and their differences!

Thanks

Edited by moshkito - February 17 2021 at 11:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:48
Hi,

bullsh*t!

(You think that this is being polite, as you explained to me ages ago. Saying "hi" makes you polite?) 

You're either delusional or an a****le. You don't "agree" with the idea of "freedom of speech". Please don't make me bother with finding examples about this. You cannot take criticism, if it is about "your" ideas or statements EVEN IF they point out that you're out of the context or your statements are flawed and/or false. So, you basically want to spread your sh*t everywhere and in return be "free" to write whatever you write without being "corrected".

You cannot handle "heckling", you generally remain "silent". I wouldn't call it "handling". 

I never see that you accept that you're wrong about anything, even if you are so, like, all the time.

"I always tried to make sure what I wrote was better related." You say so? Really? LoL.

"Sad that this guy..." type of comments are your "right" and not ours? Oh, you're a special being indeed(!)

Edited by Shadowyzard - February 17 2021 at 11:50
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:55
Ooh, this one is going to be a great deal of fun. Goody!

I would, of course, wholeheartedly support Pedro’s request under normal circumstances, but feel unable to do so owing to falling asleep halfway through the second paragraph.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 12:00
Hi

I have to disagree with almost everything you’ve written, Moshkito. I’ve been a lurker on these forums for years now, even if I’ve only started actively posting very recently. I have seen all manner of rude and ignorant posts from you. You freely and routinely rubbish the opinions of those who posted before, and if anyone ever dares to argue or explain why they think the way they do, you either attempt to shut them down, or shut yourself down.

The reason some people deliberately show they have no intention of engaging with you (eg the “Bye” posts) are because you have shown over and over and over again that you are not interested in listening to anyone else’s point of view.

Given that often your own point of view is quite obviously wildly different from the majority (a recent view of yours being that drugs had nothing to do with the music of the late ‘60s, despite all manner of evidence to the contrary), your stubbornness in clinging to those views is just one more thing that makes you appear somewhat crazy and deranged. This view of you is only exacerbated when you go off on one, if someone dares to disagree with you.

Good luck in getting the admins on your side, as I think they’ve been on your side already more than you know, giving you the benefit of the doubt when in many other forums I have frequented over the years, you would be long gone.

It’s honestly not the rest of us who need to think about what we write, but you. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Bye.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 12:05
Everynone is expected to have read and to try to follow the Site Rules and Guidelines: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13083

And of course specific instances of abuse can be reported in this forum, we have a report post option (I don't get those reports) or one can PM an admin (me, DamoXt7942 or Tapfret), and those cases be as specific, concise and precise as possible, and provide links.   We do deal with things on a regular basis, and that does get very tiresome, and we also deal with things on a case-by-case basis. It is very hard to find the right balance when it comes to free speech and censoring speech.

One important adage is that you can attack the ideas, but you shouldn't attack the person (ad hominems should be avoided at all times). We mods are few, and can't be monitoring everything (that's why we ask for people to report abuse).
I do think that mediation is one of the most important parts of moderation, but that can be a lot of work with no good results.

If you have suggestions for forum guidelines, it would be helpful if you could write those down in point form. I'm dealing with multiple things right now and finding it hard to parse what your specific recommendations and solutions are. Maybe some of what you write could be added to the Site Rules and Guidelines topic by us, since it does make it easier when we can point to that and ask people to read it.

Edited by Logan - February 17 2021 at 12:12
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 12:09
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 12:11
Oh, the irony of the original post. As if simply typing "Hi" to start a post mitigates a passive-aggressive ramble full of insults. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 12:17
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply