Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pawn Hearts is the most popular album on PA!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 01:04
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

now Gojira's new album, to be released in April is the most popular (last 24 hours).
I feel like there's something wrong with that setting or there are a lot of lurkers on PA that check out those albums that end up there. I do not know. Stern Smile

Is there an actual algorithm in place, or is it like if five people in an hour search the same thing the site deems that MASSIVE TRAFFIC! Lmao.

it's PA best kept secret how that works. LOL
I do not know but it is strange and funny which is fine. I'm looking forward to the next controversial album that end up there. LOL
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 01:59

Arc of Life, new supergroup, barely released is the MOST POPULAR ALBUM (last 24h)
no comments? LOL
Just heard the singles... All I can say is, it sounds pretty bad. Corny and cringe, I would prefer to avoid this record.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 02:02
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Arc of Life, new supergroup, barely released is the MOST POPULAR ALBUM (last 24h)
no comments? LOL
Just heard the singles... All I can say is, it sounds pretty bad. Corny and cringe, I would prefer to avoid this record.

makes much hated Asia sound like Beethoven.  LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 03:57

no comments? LOL

makes much hated Asia sound like Beethoven.  LOL
Precisely.
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 03:26
I have been listening to Pawn Hearts since 1974 or thereabouts...it's still one of my go-to albums. I also corresponded with 'Pawn Hearts' the Ph and VDGG Appreciation Society for a spell back in the early Eighties. I still have a few issues of the fanzine and one of these days I may post photos of them if anyone is interested!

Edited by Un Amico - May 02 2021 at 03:30
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:36

now Gojira's new album, to be released in April is the most popular (last 24 hours).
I feel like there's something wrong with that setting or there are a lot of lurkers on PA that check out those albums that end up there. I do not know. Stern Smile

I often wonder what the algorithm is that works this out, or if there are just a whole heap of lurkers? Shiva the Destructor was the most popular for two or three days(!!!) and, even though I like the album, it’s not *that* impressive. I think only Uwe and I have reviewed it on PA, so it’s not like it’s flavour of the month or anything. Weird....

The only thing I could think, when it came to Shiva, is that it was “legitimately” most popular (for whatever reason), and then once it was there, people clicked on it because of the cover art, which kept it there longer than it might have been there otherwise (because it is quite catchy cover art).

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:40
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I often wonder what the algorithm is that works this out, or if there are just a whole heap of lurkers? Shiva the Destructor was the most popular for two or three days(!!!) and, even though I like the album, it’s not *that* impressive. I think only Uwe and I have reviewed it on PA, so it’s not like it’s flavour of the month or anything. Weird....

The only thing I could think, when it came to Shiva, is that it was “legitimately” most popular (for whatever reason), and then once it was there, people clicked on it because of the cover art, which kept it there longer than it might have been there otherwise (because it is quite catchy cover art).

could be just the album that gets the most clicks in 24 hours. 
I'm looking forward to the next controversial 24 hours most popular album. LOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:41

Up until Shiva, I assumed it was simply the most clicks in 24 hours. But for Shiva to have been there at all, let alone for longer than just one day, seems strange to me. Maybe there just weren’t many other clicks that/those days....? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:42

Up until Shiva, I assumed it was simply the most clicks in 24 hours. But for Shiva to have been there at all, let alone for longer than just one day, seems strange to me. Maybe there just weren’t many other clicks that/those days....? 🤷🏻‍♂️

are you annoyed by those albums there or you find it funny (I do)? 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 05:04

are you annoyed by those albums there or you find it funny (I do)? 
Annoyed? Heck, no! Amused and intrigued, if anything. I guess I find it interesting to see what is there, but I don’t really care or think about it otherwise. Most of the time I don’t really even remember who is there. I think the only reasons Shiva struck out are because it has such eye-catching artwork, and because I had recently reviewed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 09:22
Easily in the Top 10.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 09:43
Excellent album. In my TOP 15 prog albums ever, maybe top 10.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 12:22
Not so much my thing tbh.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 12:24
it's so funny that this has become a VDGG/Pawn Hearts thread. LOL
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 13:20
Now it's Godbluff.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 16:19
By the way: There are not many albums that books were written about. "Pawn Hearts" is such an album. Considering what a huge success the album was in Italy it is not surprising the book was written by an Italian. There is, however, also an English translation of the book.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 00:43
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Excellent album. In my TOP 15 prog albums ever, maybe top 10.

Likewise!

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Now it's Godbluff.

I'm not surprised!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 01:43

Now it's Godbluff.

Indeed!

So, let's take a look at one of the reviews: I don't know this guy but I have seen so many reviews (not necessarily by him) that are in the same vein... What does this tell me about the album?? Absolutely nothing. Some reviews really need to be 'cleaned' from PA. (Moreover, this does not even comply to the current rule of 100 words minimum, to be precise)

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - May 16 2021 at 01:47
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 02:42

Now it's Godbluff.

Indeed!

So, let's take a look at one of the reviews: I don't know this guy but I have seen so many reviews (not necessarily by him) that are in the same vein... What does this tell me about the album?? Absolutely nothing. Some reviews really need to be 'cleaned' from PA. (Moreover, this does not even comply to the current rule of 100 words minimum, to be precise)

I don’t have a problem with that review. It tells me more than some far wordier reviews. Quantity is not always equivalent with quality. Moreover, the 100 word “minimum” is only in relation to the weighting of the rating. Shorter reviews are still allowed. And, as someone who suffers from verbal diarrhoea, and well aware my own reviews can be too wordy, shorter is sometimes better.

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 03:48
Personally I think that particular review is pretty bad.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123