2 [6.90%]
3 [10.34%]
3 [10.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream - Zeit
    Posted: February 19 2021 at 09:08
This might have been fun, if vulgar, to make with the options "I prefer the contents of a bedpan" and "I prefer Zeit" (a reference to a recent post), but since there has been some talk of this recent album and I know it is one of the more divisive ones in PA, I am interested to get people's opinions on it. I did a poll on various divisive albums many years ago, and this one fared well as I recall.

Please do leave a comment instead of just voting. In any poll, if applicable, I'm more interested in the thoughts that are expressed than just in the poll results.

I like Zeit, and on some days I really love it. It's an album that I have to be in the right mood and space to want to play, but then that's true of most albums. With Zeit that is a little more true than with most albums methinks.

Just vote for the options that you think best fits you. I vote "like".

Edited by Logan - February 19 2021 at 11:49
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 09:09
Just one word - masterpiece, no need for any more words. So, option 1 would be valid for me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 09:25
You won't be surprised to hear I'm not a big fan of the first four Tangerine Dream albums. Their discography really begins for me with the classic Phaedra album. Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 09:42
You all know how I voted. Big smile

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You won't be surprised to hear I'm not a big fan of the first four Tangerine Dream albums.

How about Atem, the first album with Baumann?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 09:45
^ and ^^

I would have thought that Atem would have appealed to you too, Paul (or at least had some appeal). I was going to write the same thing.

Funnily enough, at one time their discography really ended for me with Phaedra.   The first albums were my favourites, but I came to appreciate much more of the discography. I had already heard Phaedra and not liked it originally, and it was earing the debut that turned me into a Tangerine Dream fan. Now I like Phaedra very much. By the way, have you heard Michael Hoenig's Departure from the Northern Wasteland, Paul? If not, you should like it.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ and ^^

I would have thought that Atem would have appealed to you too, Paul (or at least had some appeal). I was going to write the same thing.

Funnily enough, at one time their discography really ended for me with Phaedra.   The first albums were my favourites, but I came to appreciate much more of the discography. I had already heard Phaedra and not liked it originally, and it was earing the debut that turned me into a Tangerine Dream fan. Now I like Phaedra very much. By the way, have you heard Michael Hoenig's Departure from the Northern Wasteland, Paul? If not, you should like it.
Alpha Centauri, Zeit & Atem are all a bit too ambient and slow-moving for my tastes. I much-prefer Tangerine Dream's classic sequencer-driven sound, which reached new heights for me with the Stratosfear album. Thumbs Up

On the question of Michael Hoenig's album, this is the first time I've heard of Michael Hoenig, but I'll certainly look out for him on YouTube. Embarrassed
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:11

Funnily enough, at one time their discography really ended for me with Phaedra.

It would've been my mission to turn you on to Rubycon...! (*and Ricochet, Stratosfear and Encore)

By the way, have you heard Michael Hoenig's Departure from the Northern Wasteland, Paul? If not, you should like it.

If he hasn't, I bet he'll love it!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:19
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

On the question of Michael Hoenig's album, this is the first time I've heard of Michael Hoenig, but I'll certainly look out for him on YouTube. Embarrassed

Thumbs Up It's a sequencer fest. Can't wait to hear what you think of "Voices of Where."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

It would've been my mission to turn you on to Rubycon...! (*and Ricochet, Stratosfear and Encore)

I actually can't fathom why I ever would not have liked those albums (not that I knew all of those). They are brilliant, and in fact those are the Tangerine Dream albums that I would be most likely to play these days. I think I just tried later Tangerine Dream at the wrong time and in the wrong mood. It was a long time ago. By the way, Kitaro was the first electronic artist that I ever really got heavily into (with Oasis back in the 80s).
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:15
The right option is not there, for me... I don't like the album, but I don't dislike it either - that's too strong a word. But I'm not ambivalent either, I think, which has probably more to do with my general stance on Tangerine Dream and electronic music in general: I'm not much into the more meditative kind of electronic music... From Tangerine Dream I prefer their first album, Electronic Meditation. Alpha Centauri is OK, but after that they start to explore too much the dullness of the universe, in my opinion. And they're very good at that, actually. So, sometimes I like to hear some of their later work, but not too much because it gets me bored rather quickly... Zeit leaves me quite indifferent (which is not really ambivalent, I think...).

Edited by suitkees - February 19 2021 at 11:50

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:48
Indifferent is a good word (just didn't come to me at the time), and I will add that to the ambivalent option. I like it when people care about language/ the right terminology. My language skills have gone downhill over the past few years.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:52
^ One point, then, for that option. Wink

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:56

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I actually can't fathom why I ever would not have liked those albums (not that I knew all of those). They are brilliant, and in fact those are the Tangerine Dream albums that I would be most likely to play these days. I think I just tried later Tangerine Dream at the wrong time and in the wrong mood. It was a long time ago. By the way, Kitaro was the first electronic artist that I ever really got heavily into (with Oasis back in the 80s).

Nice! I first heard Kitaro on a tape given to me by an older cousin (who got it from someone else, but he knew I was into that sort of stuff). I didn't know which album it was at the time (the debut, Ten Kai (Astral Trip), but I loved it. It was unlike Tangerine Dream, Jarre or Vangelis, and different was good. 

The first album I bought (on cassette) was Ki. Loved it.

FF and I love all the early analog stuff: Ten Kai, Oasis, In Person, Toward the West, Silver Cloud...anything before Tenku.

Edited by verslibre - February 19 2021 at 11:57
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 12:50
I like it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 13:31
I also like it 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 15:04
'Songs the size of planets with titles the size of cities'.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 15:08
Ah yes, 80 minutes of refrigerator hum noises

The album def has value though, it's a great album to throw on before bed around here. Pretty eerie stuff.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 17:53
I found it OK when I bought it in the early eighties, I didn't get much out of it for some time, and for the last 10 years now I find it really great.

Still, the current result of 13:1:2:1 proves in the first place that people who take part here are not representative. I think the majority either doesn't know it or dislikes it so much that they wouldn't even click on this poll. Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 02:00
Shhh, I would rather that not be made so obvious. ;)

I toyed with the idea of entitling this “Tangerine Dream’s Zeit, wet dream or nightmare?” Or some such thing. Of course seeing the title as is, most of the haters and the indifferent would not bother to check this thread thinking it just another appreciation thread that likely lists the tracks. We have got a lot of those kinds of polls. I would not check many polls or topics about bands or albums of which I have very little to no interest (especially when it comes to familiar names in my case, and I don’t want complian about albums I don’t like. I would rather focus on what I do like and think might be of interest). If it was put as love or hate in the title, more would vote methinks, and I would not be at all surprised if some would vote hate who hadn’t even heard it just to be negative or clownish. I’m fine that this ended up being more of an appreciation thread. Votes don’t matter to me, but the comments are what I enjoy, and if I also get fewer negative comments, well, that’s fine by me, although I do like to read about what people like and dislike, and their thinking or reasons to go along with it if they are inclined to do so.

I would expect most to be apathetic upon seeing this topic, less so if I titled it differently, but I went with a mundane title even if I would hardly call the album mundane.

Edited by Logan - February 20 2021 at 02:02
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 03:15
 With Ricochet, Zeit was my first Tangerine album bought (stunning artwork, really) way back then .... and to say the least, I WTF'd heavily at it when I listened to it - at age 13, I wasn't ready for THAT!!!
Ricochet was and is still amlongst my fave. 

Now, I tend to think of it as their magnum opus, though I wouldn't place it above Alpha Centauri, Ricochet or Force majeure.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>