Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Flaming Lips - Filter system of PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flaming Lips - Filter system of PA
    Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:55
Hello! 
I have two questions that are somewhat related.

1- I wonder why The Flaming Lips doesn't seem to be part of the archive? It would fit the Psychedelic and Space-Rock genre.

2- When I try to filter albums of a specific genre (Psychedelic rock/Space-Rock for instance) then by year, I only get a few results even though I know for a fact that there is more submissions for each specific year in that genre on the archive. This probably means that most submission doesn't includes the right tags so that the engine can find it. Is there any way of updating it ourselves or at least submit/ask for a modification?

Thank you!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:00
The Lips have been suggested for inclusion in the past. A few times, in fact, but never made the grade.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
jscraire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:08
Any idea why? Is there any technicalities that must be taken in consideration for a band to get included?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:19
1. I was fairly supportive of The Flaming Lips based on Zaireeka, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, not that I had a vote in the genre team. As said, it just hasn't passed muster for the Psychedelic and Space-Rock genre team.

2. A link to the address of your search results might help, as it maybe how you are using the filters. There is a maximum of 250 albums when using the charts. I just checked using the filters Psych/Space, studio albums only, 1997, minimum ratings of one and minim average rating of one and 250 albums, and was surprised to see only 38 albums. It doesn't list unrated ones, though, and so I guess it's just not a popular year for the category. See: CLICK FOR LIST

If you don't set the Filter: Minimum Number of Ratings to one, you actually get fewer results (via the default which has 0 for avg. number of ratings. I only get five for that year now. I've mentioned this before.

So set the Minimum Number of Ratings to 1 for more results (one doesn't always need to, but I do it automatically now, and I always set the Filter: Minimum Average Rating Value to 1 as well).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
jscraire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:27
That is too sad as there is many interesting bands of the genre in the 90's - Ween isn't listed either - and the archive is simply not reflecting that reality, only keeping track of the different releases of that period that came from bands formed in the 60's and 70's.

Thank you for the filter tip, I was assuming "0" would give unlimited results!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:31
^ If only there were an infinity option.    It's strange and I just figured a lot out by trial and error.

Originally posted by jscraire jscraire wrote:

Any idea why? Is there any technicalities that must be taken in consideration for a band to get included?

There are quite a few. A: If a submission is not well prepared according to the guidelines, then that can lessen the chance that one will be included (we have refined those guideline over time). It helps when a good case is made and the materials should be provided for the teams to listen. In some cases Prog Related is tried, but that has its own unique hurdles as we wish to limit the number (so very, very much could be considered Prog Related).

Here are three places to look for more info on submissions:

From the Frequently asked questions (FAQ’s) topic in Site rules and guidelines: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13080

Quote Why is (insert band name here) included/not included on the site?
The site has a careful selection process for deciding which bands are included or not included. The boundaries of what constitutes "Progressive rock" will always be blurred, but we are committed to continuing to build the best Progressive Rock site on the internet. The forum sees regular discussions about bands who should or should not be listed, and you are encouraged to make your opinions known there.

Also see Site Policies and Guidelines - Artists and Albums:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73146

And PLEASE READ FIRST - Artist Submission Procedure (in the Suggest New Bands/ Artists forum).

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122381

Edited by Logan - February 19 2021 at 11:35
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:54
The Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev are closely related, sharing some of the same band members and the same producer, so I'm rather surprised that Mercury Rev made the grade for inclusion in ProgArchives, but not The Flaming Lips, even though they both sound very similar in style. Confused
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:56
I think that when it comes to the "Prog Related" category, it's quite random which band passes the judgement and which doesn't. :)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 12:23
Yes and no, or maybe that's a yes (it depends on when it happened to a large extent). This site has been around since 2002, and it does not operate like it used to. The expectations have changed, the way thing operate have changed. Mercury Rev is a pretty early addition to the site, and it stated off with just the old site owner adding things, I believe (Proglucky) and then I think most anybody could add things, and then genre teams were set up. Back then Flaming Lips might well have ben added to PA, it is a kind of luck of the draw in that sense, and in the sense that a potential addition is well prepared and argued for, it has the right support, and that the teams thinks it fits the vision and scope. Also various acts were moved to Prog Related from Prog categories.

It's interesting to use the WayBackMachine to look through snapshots of site history: https://web.archive.org/web/*/progarchives.com It give a favour at least, but that doesn't make the site as it was of the day very searchable.

There won't be a lot of consistency in large part due to how much things have changed. I don't know the history of Mercury Rev in PA, other than its been here since at least 2005, and things have changed a lot since then, and things changed a lot between 2002 and 2005.

It still might seem rather random even with ones over the past decade. To get into PR we now require that Special Collab propose it, and Admin have based that to a large extent on the arguments and the support. The criteria changed many years ago for that too, so it should be considered important to and an influence on Prog as well as influenced by Prog. Everything is done on a case-by-case basis, but at the same time of course we make associations and consider precedents (especially those after Prog Related was set up -- categories used to be quite different). And different individuals on teams will have different perspectives and the teams change. There's a lot from the early days that might well have been better left out (or at least would not pass muster now).

It is all very complicated. Maybe we could write a history of this stuff at some time so that more understand the ways things have changed over time and why there is less consistency than one might expect.

Edited by Logan - February 19 2021 at 12:27
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 12:33
^ Thanks for your long and detailed reply. That solves the mystery of why Mercury Rev made it onto PA but not The Flaming Lips.  Thumbs Up
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 14:37
Quite frankly, I love them both whether they are here or not.  I wanted to suggest TFL a few years back, so I'm all for it.  They push the boundaries of all rock genres.  I mean, who else releases a 24-hour album on a pocket drive shaped like a skull or a 6-hour track on an EP?  But what Logan says pretty much sums it up though.  

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 15:07
Let's let the members here vote who can be added to prog related! HEHE

Flaming Lips is amazingly innovative. I still haven't listened to the four CD Zareeka that is supposed to be played with all four CDs simultaneously!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
jscraire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 15:42
Hahaha. I understand the importance of having guidelines in terms of what is included and what not which prevent the website to become a total mess. Defining music genres is already pretty subjective, we need a way to structure the different sections. 

I am glad that many of you are TFL enthusiast!
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply