Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Hammill - In Translation (New Album)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Hammill - In Translation (New Album)
    Posted: February 21 2021 at 03:07
I'm not a fan of cover albums, but good to see him still going on. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 15:42
Here some more detailed information about the album:

And further to last Tuesday’s news of Peter Hammill’s new album, the album of other people songs, his first ever album of covers. Peter Hammill’s superb In Translation, his first ever covers album, due for release on CD & Digital formats on May 7th, with vinyl to follow at a later date. And yes, we can now say superb for we have now heard it and can confirm it rather good, some of these could be Peter Hammill songs, more they’re songs that don’t sound like Peter Hammill songs, more songs he’s added his fingerprint to in what feels like just the right way, soem of them don’t song like Peter Hammill songs. We’re on a first listen right now, we need more time before we really say anything, Ciao Amore is wonderful… The original news story that we ran last two days (a page already rather rapidly becoming the most viewed ever in terms of this ten year old verison version of the Organ website by the way – Organ has been around since 1986), the original news story is here. We’ll be along with a review closer to the release date. Oh! Wow, that version of I Who have Nothing! Bring me more wine, let me sit in the gutter with this for a day or two, for now, the sleeve notes and thoughts from the man himself, just down there, love the album cover… (sw)

Peter_Hammill_In_Translation_photo_credit_James_Sharrock_2

Track Listing & Sleeve Notes:

• The Folks Who Live On The Hill (Kern/Hammerstein)
  • Hotel Supramonte (de André/Bubola)
  • Oblivion (Piazzolla/Tarenzi)
  • Ciao Amore (Tenco)
  • This Nearly Was Mine (Rodgers/Hammerstein)
  • After A Dream (Fauré/Bussine)
  • Ballad For My Death (Piazzolla/Ferrer)
  • I Who Have Nothing (Magati/Mogol/Leiber/Stoller)
  • Il Vino (Ciampi/Marchetti)
  • Lost To The World (Mahler/Rückert)
Recorded at Terra Incognita, Wiltshire, March-December 2020

Edited by BaldFriede - February 20 2021 at 15:44

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 14:08
Van der Graaf Generator singer announced the release of his first covers album, later this year. In Translation features songs by Astor Piazzolla, Leiber and Stoller, Gustav Mahler, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Gabriel Fauré among others.

Source:
https://www.loudersound.com/news/peter-hammill-announces-first-ever-covers-album

Post Reply Post Reply