Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motorpsycho new release - Kingdom of Oblivion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorpsycho new release - Kingdom of Oblivion
    Posted: February 21 2021 at 04:51
Motorpsycho keep up their relentless pace of releasing a new album pretty much every year:

Stickman Records press release (16 February 2021):

Hard times call for big riffs. And, it seems, also for big news.

Not only was Motorpsycho’s 2020 album “The All is One” nominated for a Spellemannprisen (a Norwegian Grammy) in the Best Rock Album category, but we’re also thrilled to announce a new Motorpsycho album in the wings titled Kingdom of Oblivion!

Release date has been slated for April 16th, 2021. The album will be available on 2LP, CD and digitally.

Presale is scheduled to start on Friday, March 5th at 11:00 am CET.

From Motorpsycho's own blog (15 February 2021):

It is clear to us that TAIO reached a pretty wide audience, and we are as grateful as ever for all of you taking the time to listen to what we do. It is really imporant to us to not become an oldies band merely dealing in nostalgia, and the only way we can avoid that is by forging ahead and trying to make music that is true to who we are. When you lot show your appreciation by buying the new records and not just baying for the old schlägers, that makes it all feel worthwhile and important, and that is all we can ask. Thank you!
On that subject … we have a new record coming out in a couple of months!

It is called Kingdom of Oblivion. The cover is by Sverre Malling and looks like this [see above].

The first ‘digital single’ – Pt.1 of the song The Waning – should be available online in a matter of weeks at the most, so you’ll get a taste of what it is pretty soon.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 05:55
Awesome! Got into them last year with The All is One, good stuff!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 06:00
already? Confused
Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 06:31
Quote Awesome! Got into them last year with The All is One, good stuff!
That's great! You now have a very long and varied back catalogue to explore! :D

Edited by Plizzard - February 21 2021 at 06:39
Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 06:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

already? Confused

Yep. Just eight months since The All Is One. I recently ran a calculation of how much brand new music (i.e. not including live albums or additional tracks on re-release box-sets) they've released and it works out at an average of about 60 minutes of new music per year since their first album. There are very few established bands (Motorpsycho are 30 years old now) who continue to release at that rate. Of course there's the question of quantity over quality, but I personally don't find any lack in the quality.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 08:38
I bought Heavy Metal Fruit a few years back and liked it...but they have so many.....so where does one start to  pick up the 'best ones' by them?

Edited by dr wu23 - February 21 2021 at 08:40
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 00:01
Like all things by them, I will need to listen to it first before buying. One of the more hit or miss bands out there. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 00:03
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I bought Heavy Metal Fruit a few years back and liked it...but they have so many.....so where does one start to  pick up the 'best ones' by them?

I would say:

The Death Defying Unicorn
Little Lucid Moments 
Behind The Sun
Roadwork Vol. 1
Roadwork Vol. 2 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 00:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

You could start by checking out the highest rated albums on ProgArchives. By doing so you will hear albums that appear to bear little relation to each other because this is a band that draws on, plays and melds various rock genres and does so, IMO, regularly, consistently and very well indeed.

Or you could follow Man With Hat's advice and listen to a less varied (apart from the live Roadwork albums) but still brilliant collection of albums. And apart from the live Roadwork albums he mentions, those are the albums that probably have most in common with Heavy Metal Fruit. But while he finds their output hit or miss, I do not. But that's just personal taste.

Dive in. Explore. :D I hope you like what you hear.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 03:24

Cant wait to listen to their next release Big smile

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 07:30
Ah, I thought Audun had returned, he used to have that avatar.

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

already? Confused
Indeed. I have yet to hear their latest album and I barely heard the previous on. I bought three of their older albums last year and I'm focusing more on these.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 22:42
I got into them several years back with Death-Defying Unicorn and haven't looked back! I have tracked down 95% of their back catalogue, including hard to find singles and limited edition items in magazines. It's become a bit of an obsession to be honest. 

But I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of their live work... If I were to reveal that on of the fan forums I would likely be banned! But the studio work for me is so varied, passionate, and interesting--for me there are occasional songs that are hit or miss, but no albums. Even the earliest, grungiest, least proggy stuff. 

If I were to offer advice, I would say pick a few albums from different eras, as their style really ranges, far more than most bands you'll come across. Chances are you'll find something you like.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 02:53
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

I got into them several years back with Death-Defying Unicorn and haven't looked back! I have tracked down 95% of their back catalogue, including hard to find singles and limited edition items in magazines. It's become a bit of an obsession to be honest. 

But I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of their live work... If I were to reveal that on of the fan forums I would likely be banned! But the studio work for me is so varied, passionate, and interesting--for me there are occasional songs that are hit or miss, but no albums. Even the earliest, grungiest, least proggy stuff. 

If I were to offer advice, I would say pick a few albums from different eras, as their style really ranges, far more than most bands you'll come across. Chances are you'll find something you like.

Ha ha! I know that feeling of obsession when it comes to this band. I was turned onto them in 2017 and since then have managed to get most of their back catalogue, including most of those harder to find bits and pieces. I agree that even their earliest, least overtly proggy stuff deserves appreciation. Demon Box, for example - even though some of the hardcore material is not to my taste, what an album! Seriously, what an incredibly eclectic mix of songs. The first four tracks alone are enough to set the head spinning. What really stands out, though, is the songwriting and the intention. These guys were (and still are) serious about their music - and their attitude towards it is clear: write, rehearse, play, record, tour, repeat, don't stand still. Their work ethic is beyond question, and their desire to challenge themselves and to keep moving forward are more than commendable.

Unlike you I like the live material. This may be down to a very early incredible experience. The first time I saw them was late 2017 on the The Tower tour in my home town, London. It was a bit messy, the vocals a bit dodgy, very loud but at times exhilirating. A few weeks later I was travelling in mainland Europe and had bought a ticket to see them in Köln. They opened with a long improv which built upto and into their Un Chien d'Espace masterpiece. 42 minutes from the beginning of the improv through to the end of Un Chien d'Espace and I was properly sold. It was breathtaking - almost literally as I nearly fainted from the overwhelming experience of it - and this is a guy who's been attending gigs since 13 years old in 1975! Thankfully the experience was recorded by the band and placed on their Roadwork vol. 5 album. The rest of the gig, riding on that wave, was just amazing - and the band and audience knew it as they just kept on playing and the gig ended up 3 hr 10 min in total. Since then I've seen them as many times as I can manage - yes live they can be a little hit and miss, but when they hit, which is more often than not, they're in a league many other bands don't make simply because they don't take the same chances. Motorpsycho decide their setlists on the afternoon of the gig, drawing from a list of about 50-60 tracks they've worked up for the tour (they're known for never playing the same setlist twice), they always feature their latest material, they pull out a lot of deeper cuts through the tours, and they jump off into improv territory a lot. The live Roadworks albums are supposed to capture this rather than be perfect renditions of their songs, which is why they can be a bit harder for some fans to digest or get into. But I certainly wouldn't lynch anybody who said they're not keen on the live material ;)

All this said - I'm now itching for the next album. Hoping for something quite different to the last three, but whatever it is, it'll be worth the wait. Enjoy your obsession, Todd ;)
Lima96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lima96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 06:32
Excellent news. However, they still need to regroup the International Tussler Society and release another country rock record. Those are simply brilliant and really scratch an itch that I didn't know I had.
Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 02:56
A little more info from Rune Grammofon about the new album

[SPOILER ALERT]

One would think that after the “Gullvåg Trilogy” - two double and a single album in a mere three years - this ultra productive trio might be in need of a break of sorts... but on the other hand, riding a golden wave like never before in their 30+ year existence, why stop now? Especially when constantly upping their own quality standards.

The bulk of the album was recorded in France back before the pandemic, but was added to, expanded, tweaked and eventually finished last year. The initial idea was to collect big riffs on one album and do a pure hard rock record, but the objective changed along the way as they rediscovered their folkish bent and how this lighter touch gave it all a nice contrast. That said, the main musical thrust is pretty full-on, even by Motorpsycho standards.

Kingdom of Oblivion was mixed by Andrew Scheps and produced by Bent Sæther.
Reine Fiske guests on several tracks.

Cover art is by Sverre Malling and cover design is by Håvard Gjelseth.

Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 01:39
Tracklist:

1. The Waning (pt. 1&2)
2. Kingdom of Oblivion
3. Lady May
4. The United Debased
5. The Watcher
6. Dreamkiller
7. Atet
8. At Empire's End
9. The Hunt
10. After The Fair
11. The Transmutation of Cosmoctopus Lurker
12. Cormorant

From a couple of early reviews it seems The Watcher is a cover of the Lemmy-penned Hawkwind (and later Motörhead) song.

Post Reply Post Reply