Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Sabbath vocalists poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who's your favorite Black Sabbath vocalist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [68.18%]
5 [22.73%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Sabbath vocalists poll
    Posted: February 21 2021 at 07:08
so judge by the vocalists skill, how they fit the music and their performance obviously. 

for the fun of it, choose, vote and discuss. Tongue

Edited by Cristi - February 21 2021 at 08:35
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 07:12
1. Ronnie James Dio
2. Ozzy Osbourne
3. Tony Martin
4. Glenn Hughes
5. Ian Gillan
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 07:13
Ozzy is probably objectively (or as close to that as is possible) the worst Sabbath singer, but for me he is their voice. I know loads of people will go for Dio, and I understand why, but nothing touches Ozzy when it comes to singing for Sabbath. 🤘🏻

Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 08:19
Not a vocalist. I do not know what good singing sounds like. But Ozzys voice fits sabbath perfectly and it wouldn't be the same without him.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 09:00
Tricky one - purely in terms of singing, RJD pretty much trounces most people in his field  but Ozzy is Sabbath in many ways - when people mention Sabbath most people would think of him first, so I vote Ozzy.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 09:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Tricky one - purely in terms of singing, RJD pretty much trounces most people in his field  but Ozzy is Sabbath in many ways - when people mention Sabbath most people would think of him first, so I vote Ozzy.

when someone mentions Sabbath, first thing I think is Tony Iommi. Big smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 09:21
Ozzy is the Sabbath vocalist.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 09:30
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I did say most people, you're just awkward. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 09:35

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I did say most people, you're just awkward. Wink

LOL sorry about that
but Tony has always been the heart and soul of the band. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 09:44
I have to go with Ozzy as well for fitting Sabbath's sound, but Dio is one of the Unholy Trinity of metal vocalists. 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 09:54
I wouldn't call Ozzy an impressive "singer", but I really enjoy listening to his voice and I admire his stage presence and charisma. I can liken this to the previous singer of Amorphis. Likewisely, Pasi Koskinen's voice was nothing spectacular, but I absolutely adore him as a singer.

Honestly, perhaps it's the first time I'm revealing this, I have never been a fan of Dio.

All are accomplished singers, but I'll go with Ozzy.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 11:11
Consider these six consecutive albums...

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Volume 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage

And then pardon me while I giggle at you for choosing someone other than Ozzy. Having seen both Ozzy (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath tour) and Ronnie James Dio (Black and Blue tour), I would say both concerts were excellent, but Ozzy is Black Sabbath, and the SBS tour was overwhelming, due in no small part to Ozzy and his voice carrying the malevolence of the Sabbath brand. None of the other singers brought the chilling sense of evil to Sabbath's songs like Ozzy. RJD and Ian Gillan may have been technically better, vocally-speaking, but they were not better at being Sabbath.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 11:12
All the best albums are when Ozzy was with them.  Interesting coincidence?  Dio was okay, but his own Holy Diver album was better than Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell", even though that one is the best of the non-Ozzy albums.  Strangely enough, I like Ian Gillian's vocals with Black Sabbath better than Dio's and think "Born Again" is the most underrated Sabbath album.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 11:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Consider these six consecutive albums...

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Volume 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage

And then pardon me while I giggle at you for choosing someone other than Ozzy. Having seen both Ozzy (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath tour) and Ronnie James Dio (Black and Blue tour), I would say both concerts were excellent, but Ozzy is Black Sabbath, and the SBS tour was overwhelming, due in no small part to Ozzy and his voice carrying the malevolence of the Sabbath brand. None of the other singers brought the chilling sense of evil to Sabbath's songs like Ozzy. RJD and Ian Gillan may have been technically better, vocally-speaking, but they were not better at being Sabbath.

This. All this. 👍🏻🖤🤘🏻🙏🏻

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 11:48
Ronnie who?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 01:09
1.Ozzy Osbourne
2. Ronnie James Dio
3. Tony Martin
4. Ian Gillan
5. Glenn Hughes

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 01:19
I'll vote for the technically superior sing: RJD

Ozzy may be the 'sound of Sabbath' and I do love all those albums, but RJD only made 3 albums with the band, and two of them would be in my Sabs top 5.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 02:29
Dio is an actual vocalist in terms of technicality and skill, he's always #1 for me.

Ozzy was on for better records and songs, however.

Dio skill, Ozzy preference.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply