Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pallas vs Pendragon: Debut Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one do you enjoy more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [50.00%]
11 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pallas vs Pendragon: Debut Albums
    Posted: February 24 2021 at 08:20
Who had the better debut?
choose and leave a comment. Tongue

Edited by Cristi - February 24 2021 at 08:20
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 08:24
Pallas' debut is a Titan of Neo Prog, although I haven't heard any albums by Pendragon, or Marillion, but you probably guessed that already. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 24 2021 at 08:24
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 08:27
I really like The Jewel but have never listened to any Pallas.  Should I go with what I know, or should I listen to The Sentinel, which I've heard great things about, and come back with a proper informed opinion?....

Wink
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 08:28
I was obsessed with The Sentinel when it came out. It hasn't really aged that well IMO, but it's one of those albums I have some 'emotional' attachment to.. So it gets my vote.

The Jewel is ok.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 08:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Pallas' debut is a Titan of Neo Prog, although I haven't heard any albums by Pendragon, or Marillion, but you probably guessed that already. Smile

Something about this sentence really doesn't make much sense.....
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 08:52
Both albums are a bit dated now and come with heavy doses of 80s cheese. The Sentinel is immediately dated by the drum sound.
Pendragon have released many better albums than The Jewel but I can't speak for Pallas as The Sentinel is the only one I've listened to. Of these two I prefer The Jewel.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 08:52
I voted Pallas, EMI had many expectations with "The Sentinel" but the album didnīt sell well, for me itīs a good record and as Blacksword said, it hasnīt aged well, i asumme itīs because of the 80īs sound of the keyboards.

The Jewel for me itīs regular, below average album.

Edited by Progmind - February 24 2021 at 09:03
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 09:00
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

You'd need to see our discussions in a previous thread for that sentence to make any sense. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 09:36
The Jewel, by far.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 09:49

You'd need to see our discussions in a previous thread for that sentence to make any sense. Smile

I have....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 09:50

I have....

LOLBeer
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 12:41
Pendragon
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 12:53
Ehh.

I'll go Pendragon. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 14:27
Pendragon's debut is one of the best Neo Prog representatives of the 1980s.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 15:09
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I was obsessed with The Sentinel when it came out. It hasn't really aged that well IMO, but it's one of those albums I have some 'emotional' attachment to...

Very much my sentiments too.. Still got my fully signed original with the big fold out poster from when i saw them in 1984. Havent played it in many years..

I have similar 'emotional' attachments to the first 2 offerings from Pendragon as saw them a few times live when a mate's band supported them and have great memories of the music but to be honest have had very mixed feelings about the band in later years and would prefer to just remember those early days..

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 02:28
Both are great debut albums. They may not have aged very well, but neither did I, so in my house they're still very much appreciated. The Sentinel has a slight edge over The Jewel for me.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 04:18
I need to listen to Pallas - The Sentinel again . I played Pendragon - The Jewel just the other day, its got its moments. Smile
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 05:47
I always postpone the listening of these two, maybe I could do it in a few years' time. Tongue Can't vote here.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 05:49
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

I always postpone the listening of these two, maybe I could do it in a few years' time. Tongue Can't vote here.

a few years?! Give them a chance, I say they're good albums, they deserve the chance. Big smile
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 08:39
Although I much prefer Pendragon's later output, Sentinel is the winner here for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>