Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which audio file format should I download?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which audio file format should I download?
    Posted: February 25 2021 at 05:08
I want to download music in good quality but on the other hand I don't want that it will take too much space on my computer.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 05:17
Assuming that it is "legal" downloading (as otherwise, the admins won't approve this topic), I'd say the more important thing is the success in decoding. I don't notice a superiority of FLAC, APE, WAV etc. over one another. If you don't want the files to occupy too much space on your computer, you have to trade it for quality. As the issue is simple: The best quality can be reached with the successful decoding of the material, in a high-resolution. Though, if you don't have a hi-fi system, it won't matter much.

Edited by Shadowyzard - February 25 2021 at 05:19
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 05:23
Thanks, and it is legal downloading from bandcamp.

Edited by yogev - February 25 2021 at 05:25
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 06:58
Here's a little experiment I did a few years ago when I was going through the same questions.
I ripped Garden of Dreams by The Flower Kings from the CD and cut a 6 min and an 18 min section out.
Then I converted them to mulitple formats. I saw no point in going lower than 256kps for MP3's.

6 Minute 256 = 111 MB
6 Minute 320 = 13.9 MB
6 Minute FLAC - 46.8 MB
6 Minute WAV = 61.4 MB
18 Minute 256 = 33.8 MB
18 Minute 320 = 42.2 MB
18 Minute FLAC = 122 MB
18 Minute WAV - 186 MB

But again...what is your listening hardware? It will make a world of difference if 'storage capacity' is your main concern.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 07:30
Space shouldn't really be an issue now - for about £40 or £50 you can buy a 2Tb external drive and keep it all on there in FLAC format.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:04
Really? Think again.
I guess it depends on HOW MUCH music you want/need to store.

yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 10:12
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Space shouldn't really be an issue now - for about £40 or £50 you can buy a 2Tb external drive and keep it all on there in FLAC format.

You’re right, I will buy hard disk and Download everything on flac.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 10:31
^ I've recalled my iRiver Spinn media player that I used for my FLAC archive. It was just too cool!!!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 12:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Really? Think again.
I guess it depends on HOW MUCH music you want/need to store.

No problem, 4Tb external drives are less than £100.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 08:16
Hi,

I thought that FLAC was more for sound folks than it would be for the general listener ... I have on mp3's now, shows from Space Pirate Radio and I did them all into 256 MP3's about 20 years ago, and I had to send some parts to someone and had to redo some of the material in a much lower level ... and guess what ... I could not tell the difference!

I suppose that if you had a sound system that cost mega-thousands, you might say that you can hear the difference, but I seriously doubt it ... after one test the first thing you will say is ... what a waste of money ... unless you are a musician and you are "recording" for your band, when the quality and the clarity might be the most preferable of all choices!

The thing that hurts is that the majority of people have only heard the music in very cheap mp3 or Apple bs, and these folks have no idea what a LP sounded like, and how the music was so much brighter, before it got toned down ... which had happened before, even to the Beatles ... the American version of Sgt Pepper's was a copy found on some latrine trash can in Hollywood! Same later for PF's DSOTM ... and you would be, more than likely, hearing the mp3's of these albums on Apple or some other cheap crap system, done in such low quality that you don't know what you missed along the way.

It all depends on your listening ability ... you can spend all the money in the world to get 10 hard drives, but it won't make any difference if your listening habits are not disciplined and educated to that point!

Think about that before dumping money into the typical nothingness in the music departments all over ... not only equipment, but also the music itself!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 09:21
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I thought that FLAC was more for sound folks than it would be for the general listener ... I have on mp3's now, shows from Space Pirate Radio and I did them all into 256 MP3's about 20 years ago, and I had to send some parts to someone and had to redo some of the material in a much lower level ... and guess what ... I could not tell the difference!

I suppose that if you had a sound system that cost mega-thousands, you might say that you can hear the difference, but I seriously doubt it ...

It all depends on your listening ability ... you can spend all the money in the world to get 10 hard drives, but it won't make any difference if your listening habits are not disciplined and educated to that point!
Well you may be half right. Playback systems, as already discussed a bit, has a direct bearing on what you are hearing as well as, like you say, 'listening ability'. Although it's not so much ability as training on what to listen for. Full disclosure, I'm a sound engineer, I've spent the better part of my life listening to and learning what to listen for in music. Side by side on a medium to good grade stereo system there are definite differences to be heard between a 320 ans a 256 file and when you get below that...wow...what a difference. But, not everyone has had the fortune to develop their listening like that. In much the same way that some people think Mcsh*tties, or Colonel Mc-Ick is tasty. The term I believe is Immature or Unsophisticated palette. Advanced quality is not always a priority for everyone, including prog rock fans.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 09:45
I freely admit I either don’t have the right equipment or ears (or both) to distinguish much between 256 and 320, but I definitely can between 196 and 256. So, on that basis alone, I don’t mind going down to 256, but not below. It definitely means I have more space on my hard drive.

I’m sure there will be better ears than mine, and I know there is better equipment out there than what I have. But for what I have to work with, there’s no point in me taking up space with lossless or higher lossy files, when I’m happy enough to listen to 256 and 320 files. 🤷🏻‍♂️

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 10:17
Another question you should ask yourself is whether you intend to restrict your listening to a PC, or whether you'd like to load you phone (or other portable MP3 player) with your music? You're not going to find a phone that provides terabytes of storage, so opting for 256/320 MP3s will allow you to port 4X as many files to your phone (or MP3 player). I have a 200 GB SD card on mine, and I have 525 albums (mostly at 320, with a few at 256) and I've only used 30% of that storage, so I still have room to grow. If I used FLAC or WAV, I'd be done.

You could argue for using FLAC/WAV at home, and MP3 on the road, but you'd have to keep two versions of everything which gets into a lot of maintenance.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 10:27
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Another question you should ask yourself is whether you intend to restrict your listening to a PC, or whether you'd like to load you phone (or other portable MP3 player) with your music? You're not going to find a phone that provides terabytes of storage, so opting for 256/320 MP3s will allow you to port 4X as many files to your phone (or MP3 player). I have a 200 GB SD card on mine, and I have 525 albums (mostly at 320, with a few at 256) and I've only used 30% of that storage, so I still have room to grow. If I used FLAC or WAV, I'd be done.

This is pretty much I look at it. It’s not as simple an argument as quality vs quantity as is sometimes made out. Sure, objectively, quality is greater within a FLAC than an MP3, but it depends entirely on the limits of ones own ears, and what equipment it is played on. For me, it’s a no-brainier to stick to the MP3s.

It’s a similar, though by no means the same, as the argument about sound quality of CDs vs vinyl. The CD is capable of providing a greater dynamic range, but that doesn’t mean it will always. It depends on how the material was recorded, produced, mixed, mastered, and so so. So you can get 💩 CDs and 💩  vinyls, and you can get great CDs and great vinyls.

Ultimately, choose whatever format you are happy listening to. If you can’t tell the difference, then choose the “lower qualify” one, and make use of the room you will save. I guess I’m lucky in a way that I damaged my hearing by attending so many loud gigs when I was younger, without earplugs. It means I can settle for MP3s over FLAC, and save a lot of space for more music. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 10:34
At home when I listen to digital files its usually 320kbps WMA files, I do have many 24bit FLAC files and some DSD64 and DSD128, those are huge files meant for hi-end reference listening, but very expensive to buy. Honestly not worth it IMO.........but for simple music on the go, car, phone I would not do anything more than 320kbps, with earbuds your simply not gonna hear any difference regarding expanded dynamic range or frequency.
I don't hear any difference with a 320kbps MP3 or WMA, choose which is best compatible with your playback or storage, and yea storage is super cheap now. For my car I bought a 64GB stick for like $8.00 and I have over 3,000 songs on it so far.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 12:46
I'm still an old school CD listener, so the only downloads I have are from artists that don't offer a CD product. I always download in FLAC and then burn it to a CDr. Then I move the FLAC files to my 4TB external hard drive as an archive. If FLAC isn't available, then whatever they offer that is the best quality I'll buy.

For the original poster: You basically have to have a balance and weigh things accordingly. If space is really going to be an issue and you cannot afford to upgrade by adding an external hard drive, then that's going to drive you to acquire smaller file sizes. Essentially mp3 files. If you are purchasing a download from Bandcamp, Bandcamp will allow you to download in a variety of formats. Try them all and see if the smaller files are up to your listening quality. If they are, then go with that.

As to the future of music in the coming decades, I suspect physical formats will generally all be niche buyers, but you never know. Downloads will likely be stored in the cloud rather than on personal hard drives. The space issue will still remain because cloud services are by subscription and the amount of space you have will be limited to how much you want to pay for the higher-priced subscriptions. The one advantage to cloud services is that you can normally access them from multiple devices without taking up storage space on any of the devices other than the app for accessing the cloud. I'm paying $100 per year for 2TB of Google Drive, but it's been well worth it. I don't use it for music (except for the stuff I make myself, which is just a backup in case a hard drive fails), but it's great for sharing genealogical research, photographs, movies I make with my phone, and stuff like that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 14:45
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

You could argue for using FLAC/WAV at home, and MP3 on the road, but you'd have to keep two versions of everything which gets into a lot of maintenance.

I tend to keep all my digital music as lossless FLAC stored on my NAS which I can access anywhere on any device, both locally or remotely (even in my car with Android Auto). So no need to maintain mp3s for out and about. All it takes is a cheapo Raspberry Pi, a free audio server (like Subsonic) and something to store files on. Of course the same FLAC files are available on my home HiFi.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 16:30
Just a quick clarification...at my desk I listen to mostly lossless or 320 files through JBL near field monitors.
But when I'm doing yard work or going to the grocery store and have my iPod shuffle and Blackberry earbuds with me, they're all 256 files. And that's just fine.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 16:48
I usually go with the 320. From people I know, there’s very little audible difference between that and FLAC except on really high-end systems.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:32
At the end I went with mp3 320kbps. don't take to much space, pretty good audio quality, and I can easily move the files to my phone or itunes or anything else. 

Thanks everyone, it was really helpfull.Thumbs Up

Edited by yogev - April 14 2021 at 12:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>