Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog on tv (or more accurately the lack thereof)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog on tv (or more accurately the lack thereof)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog on tv (or more accurately the lack thereof)
    Posted: February 27 2021 at 19:28
This is something that has bothered me for a long time and to some degree still does. Over the years I have watched a lot of late night tv (it's still one of my worst habits). Most of this consist of late night talk shows. I have seen countless bands and artists on talk shows. About 99 percent of these artists are some form of pop or pop rock with the very rare jazz or classical pianist or musician. However, just as rare is anything resembling progressive rock. I will start off by first discussing some of the times a prog band did appear on tv and which shows. Typically you can look them up on youtube and there might be some I'm not aware of.

In 1991 or so I saw Yes on tv performing a concert during their Union tour. I don't remember much about it or what show it was on but only that I was excited to see my favorite band on tv. I also saw that tour. In 1994 Yes appeared on David Letterman playing the song "walls" from the Talk album. Ok, not a really big deal considering "walls" is probably the poppiest song on the album but hey they were still introduced by David Letterman as "progressive rock n roll" and Yes is of course one of the most famous prog rock bands of all time. I saw the talk tour as well.

In late 1993 Emerson, Lake and Palmer appeared on the Arsenio Hall show to promote their manticore box set. Arsenio had a little fun with the name Manticore. I remember watching this when it first came out. The Mandela effect had me thinking it aired in 1992 though possibly because that's when their black moon album came out. I didn't even think of the box set even though my brother bought it for me as a Christmas present(probably Christmas of 1993). Also, Keith Emerson appeared on David Letterman's late night tv show(I forget the exact name of his show). I believe he only performed with the band and was a musical guest. I don't think he chatted with Dave but I could be wrong. I'll have to look it up on youtube. 

In 1995 King Crimson appeared on Conan O'Brien. I also happened to catch that tour(the Thrak tour). They played "dinosaur." This is also on youtube.

So that's pretty much it as far as the well known bands but admittedly I haven't researched this very thoroughly. If and when I do I will report back. 

Nonetheless, all of my late night tv show watching has resulted in very very few post seventies prog bands appearing on late night tv and even the seventies bands don't show up anymore. I saw the psych prog band Dungen on Conan O' Brien around 2006 or so(just a guess)and also maybe a few years after that the  post rock band Explosions in the Sky appear on some talk show as the musical guest but I forget which one. Also, maybe a year or so ago(or maybe slightly longer ago)I saw the space rock band Spiritualized on one of these shows. I also saw The Flaming Lips at one point but again don't remember which show. That's basically about it. There could have been others but I'm drawing a blank if there were. 

I'm tempted to say it's all because of some sort of musical discrimination. I can think of a possible conversation with the shows producers that might go something like this:

Joe (the promoter) : Hey Steve we have this great band that want to play on your show.

Steve : Cool. What's the name of the band?

Joe: Spock's Beard.

Steve: Interesting name for a band. What are they punk or alternative? 

Joe: No, they are a progressive rock band. 

Steve: A what?

Joe: You know, prog rock like Yes, ELP, King Crimson. That kind of thing.

Steve: Oh. 

Joe: Steve are you still there?

Steve: Yeah, Joe. Listen how can I say this nicely? We don't allow prog rock bands on our show. They take up too much time and too many people aren't into that stuff. They find it pretentious.

Joe: Still? This is the 21st century. Aren't people especially producers and talk show hosts more open to that these days?

Steve: No, not really. Hey, I didn't make the rules though. Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestion. Come back if you have someone who is more like the white stripes or the foo fighters or someone. 

Joe: Yeah, ok. Whatever.

I realize there are a lot of music genres out there who aren't represented on late night tv but as a prog fan it just seems like being how many of them are out there at least one full blown modern band would show up on tv? However, not even Porcupine Tree, Haken,Opeth, or the Mars Volta have popped up on any of these shows. Not even Tool or Radiohead for that matter. It's a real wtf thing for me. You would think late night would be the place to see them but no. Prog even in the 21st century is the last genre to get picked to play musical kick ball in the rock n roll schoolyard. In fact in some ways it's so far outside the mainstream it doesn't get picked at all(or noticed it seems).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 27 2021 at 19:35
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 19:42
I saw Rush on Stephen Colbert once.  It was back when he was on Cable TV before he was on CBS?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 19:44
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I saw Rush on Stephen Colbert once.  It was back when he was on Cable TV before he was on CBS?

Cable still counts. I missed that one so will have to look for it on youtube. Come to think of it I did hear about it because Steven made some joke about Rush songs being really long and the band laughed along with the joke.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 28 2021 at 11:55
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 20:16
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 20:24
Emerson was promoting ELPowell who were booked into Madison Square Gardens. He played 'America' with Paul Shaffer (a good 'ol Canadian boy) and The World's Most Dangerous Band (as Paul liked to introduce them). At  first KE Keyboard wasn't turned on and the first few bars of the song were without him. But once he got it rockin', Paul was in his glory watching, what was no doubt, an idol of his. ELP have also appeared on The Tonight Show (the old Johnny Carson then Rat b*****d...I mean Jay Leno show). Played something from lack Moon I believe.

But let's be real here, late night talk show musical guests are an odd mix at the best of times. Just this week I saw some girl singer dressed in a baby onesie rolling around on overstuffed pillows and she had a horrible voice and one of the most boring songs I've ever heard. (I just checked, the band is Tune-Yards).
Someone paid good money to get these guys on the air. it really is sad.

Edited by JD - February 27 2021 at 20:25
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 21:03
^ Thats horrible! Hard to believe thats on TV. No wonder I got rid of my TV, what crap.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 21:14
Yeah, I saw that not too long ago.They just aren't that good. Bands these days just don't get it. They try to be different but fail at it most of the time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 21:22
Just so there's no confusion the initial purpose of this blog was to talk about live performances on tv not the occasional dumb thing like a dunkin donuts commercial which features an animated alien wearing a King Crimson t shirt. Tongue
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 11:50
In the UK we had The Old Grey Whistle Test, which had prog bands on. E.g.

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 13:24
Saw Rush on Dennis Miller Show ...they played Tom Sawyer ...of course.
Colbert mentioned above but again i thought they were on Miller's show.
Crimson on David Letterman show and Conan Obrien....don't recall what they played....I see now that Mike mentioned it in the first post and they played Dinosaur. I could have sworn that KC was also on Letterman..?

Edited by dr wu23 - February 28 2021 at 13:29
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 03:26
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

OGWT was about the only place you could see a prog band on UK TV. There was a compilation of prog bands from 1970s TV shown the other night, I taped it but haven't watched it yet. 
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 03:37
There's a fair amount on Sky Arts (UK) worth a watch. Recently I've recorded a three hour Moody Blues documentary, a two-part Laurel Canyon documentary and Roger Waters 'Us and Them' show.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 04:29
Considering very few people like or even know what prog rock is, I'm surprised by the amount of prog I DO see on TV in the UK, to be honest.

Genesis have been interviewed on Breakfast TV and The One show in recent years. Hackett appeared separately on his own on the former, and so did Steve Wilson. The One Show for those who don't know is an awful prime time show, dripping with syrupy optimism and for a very main stream audience.

In recent years there have been several prog rock documentaries on the BBC, and on Sky Arts, just the other night they showed a Rush concert, and a few weeks before that another prog documentary.

You can't expect much more than that, for a type of music which has essentially had it's glory days. It's for the same reason, you don't see punks or glam rockers all over mainstream TV shows.

Edited by Blacksword - March 01 2021 at 04:30
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 05:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

This is something that has bothered me for a long time and to some degree still does. Over the years I have watched a lot of late night tv (it's still one of my worst habits). Most of this consist of late night talk shows. I have seen countless bands and artists on talk shows. About 99 percent of these artists are some form of pop or pop rock with the very rare jazz or classical pianist or musician. However, just as rare is anything resembling progressive rock.

Even SLAYER and other heavy metal greats have made their way onto late night. 

In all seriousness though, your mock conversation is basically how it goes down. The producers responsible for booking these shows and building programming are not musicians and they're not rewarded for giving a platform for artists (even actors and films) that will be challenging to viewers looking for easy watching before bed or on Youtube while taking a crap. Even if there are progressive acts that can put together an entertaining and engaging late night performance, the moment the producers see the "prog" label, their heuristically wired mind automatically automatically disqualifies it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 09:23
Even if there are progressive acts that can put together an entertaining and engaging late night performance, the moment the producers see the "prog" label, their heuristically wired mind automatically automatically disqualifies it. 

More times than not I believe that is the case. Once or twice Seth Meyers had a drummer or guitarist or someone who played in a progressive metal band. I believe Brann Dailor from Mastodon was one of them. I think there was another musician from another band also but I don't remember who or what band. Both were described as progressive metal though. Also, Carson Daly(before his show was cancelled)had a musical guest called Strawberry Girls who he described as progressive rock(they are listed on this site as post rock/math rock). That's really about it though and even those few times it surprised me to hear progressive (even if it was usually progressive metal). In the case of Carson Daly he was also the show's producer(or one of them anyway)and so he probably had more say in things like that. Unfortunately though I think there's still a preconceived idea about what prog is and a stereotype about it that prevents it from having more mainstream exposure(especially on late night tv). If more prog fans were in charge things might be different but they would have to be careful that they don't lose their jobs by having a band play a 20 minute song taking up too much time and bumping off the scheduled guests. ;) :P I'm joking about that last part of course but I think that's one of the things that scares people in the first place. They think prog they think a forty minute epic. Not all modern bands do that but a band like Transatlatic doesn't do much to dispell that myth. So there's one modern band you'll never see on tv. ;)

I do remember a few years ago on some cable channel seeing part of a music festival in the UK on tv. It was a pretty big deal over there. I think it was called the high voltage festival and I remember they had a prog stage. I saw some of the prog stage bands on tv but I don't remember for sure but I think Transatlantic(speaking of them and also standing corrected from my earlier comment about them) and Marillion both played. ELP played at that festival too(one of their last shows I think)but I don't remember if I saw them on tv and I don't remember who else I saw. It was interesting nonetheless to catch that on tv. I think it was VH1 or some other music related cabel channel. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 01 2021 at 09:25
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 10:49
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

OGWT was about the only place you could see a prog band on UK TV. There was a compilation of prog bands from 1970s TV shown the other night, I taped it but haven't watched it yet. 

Can you remember what channel it was and what it was called. I'd be interested to see it. Thanks
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 05:24

Can you remember what channel it was and what it was called. I'd be interested to see it. Thanks

There was a prog documentary on Sky Arts a few weeks back (which I missed) Maybe that's what he's referring to. One of my non prog FB friends was moaning about it, but sat through it all nevertheless. He said it was music for 'university beard scratchers' I had to take issue with this, having never been to university and having never had a beard.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:06

So I watched it last night - there were some good clips of Yes, Focus, SAHB and then they spoiled it all by ending with Dr Feelgood Confused (who are a brilliant band but about as far from prog as you can get). 
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 07:06
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

There was a prog documentary on Sky Arts a few weeks back (which I missed) Maybe that's what he's referring to. One of my non prog FB friends was moaning about it, but sat through it all nevertheless. He said it was music for 'university beard scratchers' I had to take issue with this, having never been to university and having never had a beard.

LMAO right on mate! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 01:14
Here is a Sky Arts documentary from a few years back. I hadn't seen this. It may have been one of the docs referred to here, not sure.

Sky Arts - Trailblazers of prog rock

The guy presenting is very annoying.

Edited by Blacksword - March 11 2021 at 01:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>