Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Video Game Music That Sounds Like Classic Prog!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Video Game Music That Sounds Like Classic Prog!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video Game Music That Sounds Like Classic Prog!
    Posted: February 28 2021 at 04:47
Ok, i've done a little digging and I think you guys will really get a kick out of these.

I get the feeling the composer of this one was listening to some classic Camel in 76'

There's another version on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33_fMicQB0o) that might even sound a little more like it but dang, that's pretty much note for note!

This one might remind you of a certain Armadillo Tank

This one is a little similar to our first entry with the 5/4 groove, this one makes me think Panic Attack by Dream Theater, but obviously this predates that

This one's a classic, fans of Voyage of the Acolyte might remember this melody from track 2

How about that underground theme from mario!

Anyways, on a related note, if you love Ocarina of Time and played it to death like I have, this is a must watch/listen

If any of you folks got more examples that come to mind, please post them! Either video game songs that sound like prog songs we all know and love, or even video game songs that sound like they could be straight off of a prog rock/metal album! I'll add more if anything comes to mind!

Edited by dougmcauliffe - February 28 2021 at 06:21
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 06:55
Awesome thread. Since I'm a bloody boomer I don't engage in video games. Maybe time to change that? Love the music to "Friendship" and the 'Armadillo Tank' one. 

In 2017, Steven Wilson did a soundtrack for a video game called "Last Day of June". 

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 28 2021 at 07:05
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 10:39
Check THIS out!

Also, I might try doing stuff like this with my music partner soon. Maybe Super Mario Galaxy?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 12:03
Yeah linked that at the bottom of my post! Seriously great stuff, when the Market theme kicked in, oh man I got so amped up. Please do!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
WilloStardust View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilloStardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 12:51
CASTLEVANIA theme~ NES
~A tired mind become a shapeshifter
Everybody need a mood lifter
Everybody need reverse polarity
Everybody got mixed feelings
About the function and the form
Everybody gotta deviate
From the norm~RUSH
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 13:04

Mega Man music mixed with some Frost*
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Shiny globe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shiny globe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 14:57
Great thread ! Clap
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 17:03
I recently created a video game-influenced piece with some prog elements if you wanna check it out Smile I've even got that 5/8-time main motif!

Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 17:34
No final fantasy?
I suppose it's an obvious one, but still..

Edited by Spacegod87 - February 28 2021 at 17:37
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 18:27
On the other side there was a band called VANGOUGH who released an album called "Game on!" which was a tribute to video game music of the previous 20 years. I think it was released in 2010. They were featured heavily on here at the time, I got a hat and 2 t-shirts from PA somehow out of that.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 18:52
Sounds a lot like Camel.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 19:44
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yeah linked that at the bottom of my post! Seriously great stuff, when the Market theme kicked in, oh man I got so amped up. Please do!

WHOOPS! Right you are. I Guess I got too excited when I saw the thread revived and also happened to notice it in my recommended. Seems the YouTube algorithm is bringing a lot of new viewers to that post lately, despite it being over 3 years old.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 00:02
You're touching on a topic I'm a niche expert in lol.

Most of the 90's game designers were listening to prog 20 years prior the influence is undeniable.

Listen to UK Alaska intro and tell me that's not Final Fantasy boss music.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Gramonster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:00
What about composing prog with a video game? This is one of many tunes I created 20 years ago with the first gen PlayStation version of Music 2000. http://www.jamendo.com/track/251413/grand-final-the-amazing-neogram

Edited by Gramonster - March 01 2021 at 14:06
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:29
This piece has some serious Tarkus vibes:

Unsurprisingly composed by Koji Kondo, who was also lead composer on a lot of early Zelda games and who has explicitly named Emerson, Lake & Palmer as one of his main influences.

Edited by Mirakaze - March 01 2021 at 15:29
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 09:20
This track doesn't remind of one band in particular but has a nice jazz fusion tang:

Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 09:34
I can definitely come up with some if I think about it. First to jump to mind: some of the soundtrack to Burning Force was definitely proggy:

“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 11:47
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

This track doesn't remind of one band in particular but has a nice jazz fusion tang:

Oh the memories. I'm watching some Let's Play-ers on YouTube play through that now. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:57
This sounds more than just a little bit like the intro to Crazy Diamond:

PJMarten View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJMarten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 18:58
I really do believe classic prog had an influence on Japanese video games and in turn had an influence on modern prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>