Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Reviews & Ratings Tables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Tiny, but it takes more time to write in English.

Sub-genreNb of reviewsAvg rating
1 Crossover Prog192.63
2 Prog Folk173.00
3 Symphonic Prog14.00
You can always repost your table later with more album ratings, just like I did yesterday after rating all of Supertramp's albums. Smile

Fully two-fifths of my Symphonic Prog ratings/reviews are all for Rick Wakeman's albums: 107  out of a total of 283 albums. Smile

Well, I'd rather review 5-10 albums per year than rate 100 weekly, but maybe I should rethink my tactics.
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 06:08

1 Crossover Prog192.63
2 Prog Folk173.00
3 Symphonic Prog14.00
You can always repost your table later with more album ratings, just like I did yesterday after rating all of Supertramp's albums. Smile

Fully two-fifths of my Symphonic Prog ratings/reviews are all for Rick Wakeman's albums: 107  out of a total of 283 albums. Smile

Well, I'd rather review 5-10 albums per year than rate 100 weekly, but maybe I should rethink my tactics.

I think reviewing 5-10 a year and rating 10 a week is where I'm at. I probably give 10 albums new to me a good listen every week. Knowing them well enough to write a review is a lot more effort.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 08:09
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I think reviewing 5-10 a year and rating 10 a week is where I'm at. I probably give 10 albums new to me a good listen every week. Knowing them well enough to write a review is a lot more effort.

Hi,

I wish I had the desire to write more reviews ... but I probably do about 5 new things per week, and likely 9 or 10 albums all told ... for example, this week it has been a band from Finland, that has taken 3 listens already ... the album is that good! A really fine album does that for me ... multiple listens ... as I can not be dispassionate about something that is so nice! Even movies do that for me ... I watched KIN twice a year ago as it was so well done!

Writing the reviews is something I stopped doing here because of the multiplicity of it all ... I wanted to do one band, but seeing singles listed (no reviews needed since the material was on an album!!!!!), and then the re-releases of the same thing, and in one case an illegal copy whose quality is a serious issue ... but it does not matter? It's like reviewing THE DOORS big single hit, and then also review the real version on the album ... the only thing the single needs is how fudged up AM radio was at that time to cut the song up ... for that matter PF's Money being not only cut up by a third, and then censored! And we continue to ignore the great insults to a lot of our music ... and we need to put that nail in the coffin to stop it!

I don't want to do "singles" and re-releases, even if they have new material in it, unless it is so drastically different as to require a review. 

I think I have only uploaded a handful of reviews ... the principle of the whole thing is totally wrong and I guess I am a person to whom values and principles are important, and in this case, I find them abusive to the artist ... someone rating a band for a single ... it's too much for me, when the rest of their music is shmuck or the album pales in comparison!

This week's listening, for example: (Note: All of these were played on Space Pirate Radio this past week!)
Mogwai (New)
Menzman & Friends (new)
Herd of Instinct (New)
Ozric Tentacles (new)
Ian Carr's Nucleus (older -- nice!)
Thaneco
Kairon;IRSE!
Shinpal
Michael Bruckner & Detlev Everling
Syndromeda

Now you know why I do not have time for "singles" and record company rip-off and re-releases! And I can't help keep saying to PA that we need to respect the artist a little more!

Would like, ALSO, to see a bigger and more detailed separation between REVIEWS, and RATINGS. Since many folks are rating based on 3 minute listens and not the album, likely more times than we care to admit! I simply can't do that. I usually know the album fairly well when I review it!

Edited by moshkito - March 04 2021 at 08:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 08:37
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 05:31
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

No 4.00+ averages on your board, I like that.
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 05:59

Interesting to see that my averages are still higher than most despite a recent renovation of my ratings philosophy, but then, I do tend to favor writing & posting reviews of albums I want to promote. Also nice to see my two favorite subs, Zeuhl and Prog Folk, making good showings. 

Edited by BrufordFreak - March 05 2021 at 05:59
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 06:07
^ My ratings/reviews table looks relatively sparse compared to your impressive list, with three times as many albums and almost twice as many genres too. Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 06:10

It's Good to See You back on the forums Again, in the words of Neil Young. Smile

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 07:46

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing! Smile
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 08:49

On the other hand it means he's rated 46 prog electronic albums and on average they're only good for collectors.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 11:10
It was a few years ago that I last went through and rated albums, so this is very incomplete. I also don't think I write very good reviews, so I have but few, but I finally decided to review Cats on the Roof last month (because I like their albums, and was surprised to see that they had no ratings--let alone reviews).

Anyway, needs updating badly, but I did (and still do) hold to the idea of using 5 and 1 star ratings sparingly:

1 Symphonic Prog503.54
2 Heavy Prog213.57
3 Eclectic Prog193.74
4 Crossover Prog143.50
5 Jazz Rock/Fusion103.20
6 Psychedelic/Space Rock83.63
7 Progressive Metal83.25
8 Rock Progressivo Italiano83.63
9 Canterbury Scene63.67
10 Prog Folk63.50
11 RIO/Avant-Prog63.00
12 Neo-Prog33.67
13 Zeuhl23.50
14 Prog Related23.50
15 Experimental/Post Metal23.00
16 Post Rock/Math rock14.00
17 Progressive Electronic13.00

Edited by zwordser - March 05 2021 at 11:11
Z
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

It was a few years ago that I last went through and rated albums, so this is very incomplete. 
Anyway, needs updating badly, but I did (and still do) hold to the idea of using 5 and 1 star ratings sparingly:

Hi,

I kinda feel too lazy to bother checking ... for the most part the only albums I have EVER reviewed were the ones that were tops in my book ... even though I joke about many here, I really do not wish to write a review for a "sub" this or that album that I decided I did not like ... we need to PROMOTE progressive music and prog, not DEMOTE it with a bad review, so in this case not saying anything is better for me.

There are, in all likelihood, at least 300 to 400 albums that I would want to review, and they all would get at least a 4, and a rating of 4 or above ... but to me the principle is weird and strange and I do not want to think like everyone else who has left behind the rest of the music so they could vote for their favorite with a 5.
www.pedrosena.com
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 22:36
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

1 Crossover Prog192.63
2 Prog Folk173.00
3 Symphonic Prog14.00

Everybody is different but in my case I couldn't write a review unless I listened to an album at least about five times. Since I've got albums that go back up to 10 years that I've maybe played about 2-3 times it's not possible for me to write a review I would be confident in. The other point is I change my mind all the time so any rating only reflects those thoughts and comments I had at the time I wrote the review.
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 02:07
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

On the other hand it means he's rated 46 prog electronic albums and on average they're only good for collectors.

I always get confused when people complain about this sort of thing. If someone's taken the time to listen to 46 electronic albums then they're entitled to their own opinion on how good they are. Clearly the style isn't for them, and that's fair enough. If everyone only did ratings for things within their comfort zone then the entire website would be full of 4 and 5 star albums and the whole system would be pointless.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12