Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 So Far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 So Far
    Posted: March 01 2021 at 06:19
Obviously only two months in, but does anyone think any of the releases so far could potentially be up there for Album of the Year?

Personally the best I've heard so far has been Glass Kites II, but not quite worthy of 5 stars.

Also have really enjoyed the concept of Steven Wilson's new work but better not say this too loudly in case I start a riot.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 06:39
For me, Lifesign's "Altitude" is the one to beat at the moment.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 06:40
Only bought a few so far this year

Thumbscrew - Never Is Enough
elephant9 - Arrival of the New Elders
Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Vol 4 The Animal I Am
Bisbâyé - Le Sens De La Fin / The Sense Of An Ending
Chlöe Herington - Silent Reflux

None of these leaps off the page as album of the year material but all are good albums I'm enjoying.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 06:51
There’s a number of releases from this year that have grabbed my attention, some of which I feel confident I will still be liking enough at the end of the year, that they might make my end of year list. But I’ve thought that before, at this stage of the year, and been wildly wrong. Also, many of the albums that I’ve been particularly impressed by in 2021 so far aren’t in PA. (This doesn’t come as any great surprise to me, though, as very few of my favourite albums from 2020 are in PA either! 🤪)

In alphabetical order, here are the twenty-one ‘21 albums I’m really liking so far:

ABORYM - Hostile

Ad Nauseum - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse

Black Country. New Road - For the First Time

Jonatan Piña Dulac - Soundtrack Vol. 1: Secuencia

Eighth Tower Records - The Black Stone - Music for Lovecraftian Summonings

Fair Wind Pleases - The Wind of the Season

Five the Heiriohant - Through Aureate Void

Föss - Memorias de la peste

gc / nc - Deprecated

Chlöe Herrington - Silent Reflux

Isnaj Dui - Bright Star

Képzelt Város - Live at Pegazus 

MEER - Playing House

Hafez Modirzadeh - Facets

Needlepoint - Walking Up That Valley

Ángel Ontalva - Songs to Say Goodbye

Poly-Math - The Cadaver Tomb, Pt. 1

River Flows Reverse - When River Flows Reverse

Senyawa - Alkisah

ShiMa - Vol. 02

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites (yes, really!)

Edited by nick_h_nz - March 01 2021 at 14:28
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 06:55
Hi Nick, given you know my tastes, anything there I should be checking out?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 07:38
I'm sure I'll get roasted for saying I like the new Transatlantic.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 07:44
Just posted my review for the new King Gizzard album which i'm absolutely loving. It's a follow up to last years release but I think this one tops it. Psychedelic rock firstly, with elements of prog, anatolian rock, doom/stoner metal. A really good and relatively compact listen that i'm right on the cusp of rating 5 stars, i'll have to sit on it for a little bit before it could certainly and without a shadow of a doubt reach that level for me. If you just wanna sample some songs off of it, Ataraxia, Static Electricity and K.G.L.W (the 8 minute one) are good starting places.

Nothing else has really grabbed me so far this year but it's early.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 01 2021 at 07:47
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 08:04
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Not from me.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 08:15

I'm not going to roast you for this either.  I've listened to it a few times now and it hasn't grabbed me yet but hopefully it just needs repeated listens and familiarity.
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 08:21
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Just posted my review for the new King Gizzard album which i'm absolutely loving. It's a follow up to last years release but I think this one tops it. Psychedelic rock firstly, with elements of prog, anatolian rock, doom/stoner metal. A really good and relatively compact listen that i'm right on the cusp of rating 5 stars, i'll have to sit on it for a little bit before it could certainly and without a shadow of a doubt reach that level for me. If you just wanna sample some songs off of it, Ataraxia, Static Electricity and K.G.L.W (the 8 minute one) are good starting places.

Nothing else has really grabbed me so far this year but it's early.

I've 5-starred a few previous King Gizzard albums, so the 2021 offering is definitely in my queue. As are the Transatlantic albums, although I've never really got into them previously. Also got Antony Kalugin's new one to listen to although first I'll need to get over my opinion of his earlier album being the most middling, beige, bland, inoffensive prog-by-numbers offering ever.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 08:46
^ yep, everytime I see him sh*t out a new album every 2 months I have to roll my eyes when the fanboys drop incessant 5 star ratings as if it’s the greatest thing to ever touch the earth. It’s honestly so offensively bland I feel like I have to shower after listening to it. Even transatlantic who I criticize for similar reasons is probably looking over at him going “dude, tone it down a bit, jeez.”
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 09:05

Don't succumb to the pressures of those that may not get it. I've spun it several times now and some of it is "NMB sounding" material and some of it is "new Transatlantic". It's a big enough record that I can easily ignore the NMB sounding stuff and concentrate on Transatlantic.

So yea I like it too, but it did not hit me like The Whirlwind did on first listen. I think the problem is that there is so much stuff from Neal that it can get congested. I believe, IIRC, Portnoy mentioned on YouTube recently that NBM is working on new album, so it can be hard to differentiate all his bands.

It will be closer to July/August before I can start to think about top 2021 albums.

Edited by Catcher10 - March 01 2021 at 09:06
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 09:08
Don't ask me, I just started listening to Benefit by Tull.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 09:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Don't ask me, I just started listening to Benefit by Tull.

LOL

I haven't had anything jump out at me yet this year, but Ian always has some great suggestions, so I'll be checking those out.

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 10:01
I've only heard 'The Future Bites'. The new Transatlantic is somewhere in my to-listen list, but I have no idea when will I go to it. Generally, I cannot say anything just two months in; However, I must admit that there are a fewer and fewer new records that I care about every year; I tend to go back to older releases; Moreover, except for the two that I already mentioned, I can't think of any interesting albums in the making, so...
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 10:02
^Plus, I have to say that most prog records I heard last year disappointed me, with the exception of Pendragon and The Flower Kings. I found more interesting new releases in other genres, I wonder why that is? Is prog getting tired of itself?

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - March 01 2021 at 10:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 10:16
Last year wasn't the best imo, 2019 was infinitely better as far as releases go for my money ^

Flower Kings and Haken rose above the rest for me, really surprised me honestly
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hi Nick, given you know my tastes, anything there I should be checking out?

I’m never good at that sort of thing. From what I’ve seen you post, and from the albums within your contribution to the collaborators’ list for 2020, we seem to have fairly similar taste, which is to say a quite broad and eclectic mix of music, mainly staying away from the more conventional.

I have edited my post to add Bandcamp links for every album except Steven Wilson (who hardly needs any introduction). Maybe take a listen to a random track from each? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry. I know that’s probably not particularly helpful.

[EDIT] And I forgot this one. I can’t be bothered going back to my post to remove one from there in able to include this, and keep it twenty-one from ‘21 so I guess it’s twenty-one in my previous post, and one in this one. 🙄

Project MishraM - Meso

Edited by nick_h_nz - March 01 2021 at 15:13
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:13

I don't know if it's prog... I don't know what it is to be honest but it's certainly the most interesting thing I've come across so far this year.

Edited by Mirakaze - March 01 2021 at 15:13
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:47
my favourite from 25 releases heard this year so far is this one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>