2 [4.44%]
7 [15.56%]
2 [4.44%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite album - Spock's Beard
    Posted: March 04 2021 at 02:24
Spock's Beard - one of the bands that 'saved' prog in the 90s? Probably, I enjoy their music quite a lot, especially the early stuff with Mr Neal Morse, so let's see which album is the fellow forum users' favorite? By the way, this is the fourth such poll that I do, and so far I am trying to focus on more contemporary bands.
(Doesn't mean that I will avoid the classic ones)

Feel free to vote and leave a comment what you chose; Today, I will go for Brief Nocturnes. Smile
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 03:11
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Spock's Beard - one of the bands that 'saved' prog in the 90s? Probably,
Dont forget The Flower Kings, They also "saved prog". I think that Spock's Beard and Flower kings were the best prog bands in the 90s. of course Dream Theater were also big, but still. As good as they are, They are not better then the first two:)

And about the poll, I choose The Kindness Of Strangers
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 03:17
The Light over V and BOD
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 04:46
Brief Nocturnes continues to get better every time I hear it, such a good album.

next up would probably be Snow Live which really runs away with the studio version, much more full of life and power. If live albums don't count i'll go with V, though The Light was my first modern prog experience and besides the Water, I still love that album a lot.

I'm a big fan of X and Oblivion Particle too!

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 04 2021 at 04:47
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:00
V

Love this album and it’s epic mega awesomeness track The Great Nothing

Edited by geekfreak - March 04 2021 at 05:02
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:03
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Brief Nocturnes continues to get better every time I hear it, such a good album.

next up would probably be Snow Live which really runs away with the studio version, much more full of life and power. If live albums don't count i'll go with V, though The Light was my first modern prog experience and besides the Water, I still love that album a lot.

I'm a big fan of X and Oblivion Particle too!

Totally agree it’s an incredible album

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:04
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Spock's Beard - one of the bands that 'saved' prog in the 90s? Probably, I enjoy their music quite a lot, especially the early stuff with Mr Neal Morse, so let's see which album is the fellow forum users' favorite? By the way, this is the fourth such poll that I do, and so far I am trying to focus on more contemporary bands.
(Doesn't mean that I will avoid the classic ones)

Feel free to vote and leave a comment what you chose; Today, I will go for Brief Nocturnes. Smile

Awesome poll

Music Is Live

<
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 06:22
Spock's Beard is a band I have never tried to get into.  Same with The Flower Kings.  I really should, shouldn't I?..............

Embarrassed
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 06:31
My vote goes to V. My first, and still favourite by The Beard.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 06:34
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 07:00
V
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 07:12
Went with V, but all of their first five albums are worthy. X, Brief Nocturnes and Oblivion Particle are great too. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 07:42
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Spock's Beard is a band I have never tried to get into.  Same with The Flower Kings.  I really should, shouldn't I?..............

Embarrassed
I wouldn't say you SHOULD if you do not enjoy the music. There is so much being released in so many different genres; just get past it and look for something you will enjoy.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 08:12
Snow.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 08:53
V is amazing!
V>Kindness>Spocks Beard>X>Light

No one has yet shown any love for Nick's era.  Yes, even me.
I thought SB9 & X were finally showing that the boys could make quality prog without their "main driving force."  I was worried after Euphoria and Octane, but then, I wasn't a major fan of Snow either.  With all the accolades, I should pick up that live version.  It may cause me to appreciate it more.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 10:23
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Embarrassed

Both bands have some stellar albums to enjoy.

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 10:47
Brief Nocturnes is what got me back into the Beard, such a great album! It made me really jump back in and explore, re-listen to the earlier albums........I picked The Light, it remains a massive album for the 90s era of music that seemed so lost for prog music.
Plus I think Neal is still saying 14 Our Father's and 20 Hail Mary's daily to ask for forgiveness in screaming out the F word LOL 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 11:05
Brief Nocturnes, Awesome album!
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 12:37
I have to vote for X. To me, Spock's biggest weakness is usually their lyrics, and X is by far their strongest album.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 12:48
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

I have to vote for X. To me, Spock's biggest weakness is usually their lyrics, and X is by far their strongest album.

Hey, all right!  Glad at least someone is with me on this.  I chose X because it has always clicked with me better than any other SB album (but admit, I've only heard just over half the albums, maybe). 

Edge of the In Between, Man Behind the curtain, and Jaws of Heaven, awesome tracks!

Interestingly, though, SB bassist didn't agree with me when I talked to him at the Baja Prog in 2014--he didn't like the album so much, and was complaining about Neal leaving the band.

Edited by zwordser - March 04 2021 at 12:50
Z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>