Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arc of Life

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arc of Life
    Posted: March 11 2021 at 01:07
Did have a listen to it when I went to bed and then in the middle of the night on my Alexa. Maybe not the best way to judge but anyway..
The songs are actually okay. Its an obvious rip off of eighties Yes pop era . No problem with the vocals as such, there is a lot of over production for sure but I don't totally hate.  Some great bas playing when the ricky is more up front in the mix. Honestly I don't think its that bad but I maybe need to pay proper attention to it!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 08:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So has anyone listened to this new album from Yes offshoot Arc of Life?

I'm on my second listen, didn't make it to the end the first time and I don't think I will this time either. The production is weird, the songs are weird - on first listen I thought something had gone wrong with my Echo. The vocal melodies just don't match the instrumentation and that has a weird 80s sound to it.
The whole thing is just weird.

Based on this I have my answer.......

Phew! That’s way too close a call...was just going to order it and luckily. I came on the Forum first! Now that’s a BIG BIGGER BIGGEST NO PURCHASING IT!!!!

You can always listen to it first - it's on Spotify. Just because I didn't like it doesn't necessarily mean you won't.

I have done a listening session lol and I 100% agree with you

That's ok then, I'd hate to be accused of depriving them of sales. LOL

But you’ve saved my ears! 😂
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 08:21

I'm on my second listen, didn't make it to the end the first time and I don't think I will this time either. The production is weird, the songs are weird - on first listen I thought something had gone wrong with my Echo. The vocal melodies just don't match the instrumentation and that has a weird 80s sound to it.

Phew! That’s way too close a call...was just going to order it and luckily. I came on the Forum first! Now that’s a BIG BIGGER BIGGEST NO PURCHASING IT!!!!

You can always listen to it first - it's on Spotify. Just because I didn't like it doesn't necessarily mean you won't.

That's ok then, I'd hate to be accused of depriving them of sales. LOL
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 08:03

Music Is Live

<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 03:19

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 03:04

Music Is Live

<
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 04:48
I listened to it and... well uh... they didn't make it for me. I find it rather boring unoriginal music that doesn't dare to stand on its own. And I get the impression someone very much liked to play with buttons instead of playing instruments. I don't understand the choice to use the voice processing (including auto-tune) that much, either. Some good melodies and riffs here and there, but too sparse and too much trapped in mediocrity.
BTW, it doesn't sound like Yes to me, but they must be capable to play some Yes music... Ermm

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 04:32
I've not heard it yet but all the opinions I've read have trashed it or been less than enthusiastic. I certainly won't be stumping up the £15 being asked. Such a shame that Dave Kerzner got involved with this. Truly talented guy who normally is associated with good stuff like the In Continuum project and the Sound Of Contact album he did with Simon Collins. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 11:44
Another band that I can now blissfully ignore, I guess LOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 21:13
I haven't heard it yet, but I don't have my hopes high for this one. The only two songs I really like from Sherwood, if I understand it correctly (that he wrote them), are The More We Live, by Yes, and The Vanishing Race, by Air Supply.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 13:39
I gave it a review of 2 stars.  Davidson and Sherwood need to forget their Yes wannabe fantasies.  At least they got their own name and they are not trying to further ruin the "Yes" name.  It's quite awful.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I totally agree! Billy Sherwood's production makes everything he touches like a rejected Amiga protracker demo converted to bargain bin AOR.

It's very predictable and kinda templatey sounding, know I'm saying? Stiff and lifeless drum mixing, amateurish guitar backdrops, no coutnerpoints. IMHO it's just very "off" sounding.

It's something I would expect from a beginner.... but Sherwood's a veteran. So that's peculiar. The weirdest thing about his works, and Arc of Life in particular is that you don't hear any development. Billy just got stuck in a late 80s early computing production phase and hasn't developed artistically ever since then.

Glad it's not just me then. Shame, but I just found it very odd and not something I want to listen to again - unless it's to check if it really is as bad as I thought.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 12:10
I totally agree! Billy Sherwood's production makes everything he touches like a rejected Amiga protracker demo converted to bargain bin AOR.

It's very predictable and kinda templatey sounding, know I'm saying? Stiff and lifeless drum mixing, amateurish guitar backdrops, no coutnerpoints. IMHO it's just very "off" sounding.

It's something I would expect from a beginner.... but Sherwood's a veteran. So that's peculiar. The weirdest thing about his works, and Arc of Life in particular is that you don't hear any development. Billy just got stuck in a late 80s early computing production phase and hasn't developed artistically ever since then.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 10:55

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 06:55
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

It has the name Billy Sherwood attached.... need I say more? 

Even Bad Company and Foreigner are probably looking over at this dumpster fire band going "jeez guys, at least try to have some semblance of grit or creativity" 

This is the music they play in purgatory
I'm guessing you didn't like it much either? Wink
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 05:55
It has the name Billy Sherwood attached.... need I say more? 

Even Bad Company and Foreigner are probably looking over at this dumpster fire band going "jeez guys, at least try to have some semblance of grit or creativity" 

This is the music they play in purgatory
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 04:17
Well I did make it to the end but I think that will be the only time, I'm more likely to listen to Heaven and Earth again than that. There's just something deeply odd about the whole thing, like they recorded the vocals and backing tracks separately and then got them all mixed up.
It's just weird.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 03:35

Post Reply Post Reply