Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Wilson, recent interview...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 10:23
'Good pop' has been brought up several times in regards to Wilson's new lp.....so I'm curious as to what recent lp's in the last 2 or 3 years qualify as 'good pop'? And how many here think his new one is 'good pop' ,whatever that means? 

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 10:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

'Good pop' has been brought up several times in regards to Wilson's new lp.....so I'm curious as to what recent lp's in the last 2 or 3 years qualify as 'good pop'? And how many here think his new one is 'good pop' ,whatever that means? 

It's a good question but you can't ask a prog website what is good pop!! LOL The better question is what pop albums are popular right now, cause I don't really know how to define "good" in music, with the Grammy's coming up soon there you will see what the industry considers "good" music.

I could not see TFB being in this list of popular albums, as I have said many times I really don't think it is a pop album, maybe a couple songs if you stretch really hard, but it's more electronic alternative rock music. Is it prog music, not really but SW direction, like it or not is a progressive movement, away from his previous styles or writing (and playing). This album is really his closest to a true "solo" album, since he plays many of the instruments, Mike Oldfield comes to mind as well does Prince. Prince played almost all of the instruments on many of his albums but he's never been considered a true solo artist as there are songs that he used either other musicians or The Revolution to record.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 11:01
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I always felt him to be a bit of a bore and a bit up himself to be honest.
A perfect Englishman in other words. Big smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 11:20
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Bullsh*t. You have no idea of what you're talking about. There's quite a lot of that in this thread, so you're going in good company. I'm getting tired of trying to defend Wilson in this thread, someone I personally don't care for, while listening to nonsense from daydreamers like you. 

Tell me of all the artists you're familiar and worked with. I've recorded The Grateful Dead, CSNY, Blue Oyster Cult, Patti Smith, The Good Rats, Mink DeVille and many, many others. When you've had the same experience, then talk to me about artist's wives.
 I don't like losing my temper like this but I've had quite enough with these types of posts. Btw, I didn't say that was a paramount reason for band tensions but, occasionally, one of them.

Why are you getting so upset over this?
I just said it was a bit much to blame wives for breaking up a band, that's all mate...whether you agree or not, there was no need to bite my head off like that. Kind of weird..

Yeah I gotta agree this hyper defensive reaction is honestly bizarre and this whole thread is full of irrational anger towards someone who doesn't owe any of us anything. The whole "its probably his wifes fault" thing is the most abysmal neckbeard deskchair manchild showcase of toxic masculinity I think i've ever seen.  

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 08 2021 at 11:20
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 11:27
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's a good question but you can't ask a prog website what is good pop!! LOL The better question is what pop albums are popular right now, cause I don't really know how to define "good" in music, with the Grammy's coming up soon there you will see what the industry considers "good" music.

I could not see TFB being in this list of popular albums, as I have said many times I really don't think it is a pop album, maybe a couple songs if you stretch really hard, but it's more electronic alternative rock music. Is it prog music, not really but SW direction, like it or not is a progressive movement, away from his previous styles or writing (and playing). This album is really his closest to a true "solo" album, since he plays many of the instruments, Mike Oldfield comes to mind as well does Prince. Prince played almost all of the instruments on many of his albums but he's never been considered a true solo artist as there are songs that he used either other musicians or The Revolution to record.

Well..I have no faith that the Grammy people would recognize 'good pop'. I think Zappa said once that most wouldn't know good rock music if it bit them in the ass.  Wink
I don't hear 'pop rock' either when listening to Wilson's new lp. 
I don't listen to the current pop charts so I honestly have no idea what will even be nominated at the Grammy's.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 12:12

Well..I have no faith that the Grammy people would recognize 'good pop'. I think Zappa said once that most wouldn't know good rock music if it bit them in the ass.  Wink
I don't listen to the current pop charts so I honestly have no idea what will even be nominated at the Grammy's.

98% hip-hop/rap music 2% country.......I'm sure I'm wrong but not by much LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - March 08 2021 at 12:13
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 12:20

either other musicians or The Revolution to record.

Hi,

Well ... I'm not sure I could consider a lot of the Beatles ... "bad pop" .... and a lot of the stuff that "started" getting big in '66/'67 and '68, was (for the most part) pop music that was played in the AM radio in America and competed with the "hits" ... and often won!

I'm wondering if we have decided to get back to semantics, and if so, we will have to update the progressive and prog wording, because a lot of the new stuff, including metal ... is "pop" ... same format and design, just louder!  Wink

Edited by moshkito - March 08 2021 at 12:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 12:23

The list...sorry about the link...I never can get links to work...is it this forum's tools or what...?
www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2021-grammys-complete-nominees-list#1
I don't own a single lp by anyone on the lists......and it is mostly rap, hip hop, and some country..even the rock.pop  categories dont' sound like rock musicians to me. LOL
So we have the R and R Hall of Shame not inducting Tull, Moody Blues, Iron Maiden, Dire Straits and the Grammy's basically becoming a rap/hip hop fest...Ermm

Edited by dr wu23 - March 08 2021 at 12:35
Haquin
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:51
^Well you can't be surprised that it's a rap/hip-hop fest when that is currently one of the most popular and recorded styles of music these days. Don't really know what anyone expects from the Grammys.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 14:02
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Bullsh*t. You have no idea of what you're talking about. There's quite a lot of that in this thread, so you're going in good company. I'm getting tired of trying to defend Wilson in this thread, someone I personally don't care for, while listening to nonsense from daydreamers like you. 

Tell me of all the artists you're familiar and worked with. I've recorded The Grateful Dead, CSNY, Blue Oyster Cult, Patti Smith, The Good Rats, Mink DeVille and many, many others. When you've had the same experience, then talk to me about artist's wives.
 I don't like losing my temper like this but I've had quite enough with these types of posts. Btw, I didn't say that was a paramount reason for band tensions but, occasionally, one of them.

Why are you getting so upset over this?
I just said it was a bit much to blame wives for breaking up a band, that's all mate...whether you agree or not, there was no need to bite my head off like that. Kind of weird..

Yeah I gotta agree this hyper defensive reaction is honestly bizarre and this whole thread is full of irrational anger towards someone who doesn't owe any of us anything. The whole "its probably his wifes fault" thing is the most abysmal neckbeard deskchair manchild showcase of toxic masculinity I think i've ever seen.  

I explained myself and my position about this constant nit picking that goes on in these posts, in a later post. You of all people such get that. One person, and one person only, said it was due to Wilson's wife. And it became the central point of this thread. As if everyone one said that was the reason. The only thing I find bizarre and childish is the lack of comprehension of that fact. But perhaps I gave this crowd way too much credit for comprehending anything that isn't immediately relavent to their mental process at any given moment. Get it now?

Edited by SteveG - March 08 2021 at 14:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 15:52
^^^^ I mean.... you said it pretty loud and clear..... if anybody is misinterpreting this comment, I don't think its on them

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I've seen a few wives break up bands, so it's possible.

Another user replied:

"I doubt any wife is solely to blame, especially when you factor in years of frustration and bitterness within any given band. 

If anything, the wife is usually the sacrificial lamb. The easy target. The one person everyone can point to and blame because she, "said that annoying thing one time" so they don't have to blame one another."

And that harmless comment is what your weirdly explosive reply was to, and I think you honestly owe them an apology.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 08 2021 at 15:53
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 15:59

The list...sorry about the link...I never can get links to work...is it this forum's tools or what...?
www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2021-grammys-complete-nominees-list#1
I don't own a single lp by anyone on the lists......and it is mostly rap, hip hop, and some country..even the rock.pop  categories dont' sound like rock musicians to me. LOL
So we have the R and R Hall of Shame not inducting Tull, Moody Blues, Iron Maiden, Dire Straits and the Grammy's basically becoming a rap/hip hop fest...Ermm

No I don't own any albums on this list, nor have I heard any of them to my knowledge. Two things I noticed, the Grammy's have as many genre/sub-genres as PA does LOL, and I am trying to figure out what is "Best Progressive R&B Album" ??
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 16:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I always felt him to be a bit of a bore and a bit up himself to be honest.

If he were such a bore, probably people wouldn't get that worked up about his interviews...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 17:08
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The woman he recently married probably hates prog and is no doubt an influence on his recent pop direction and insulting prog and prog fans. Maybe.

You're blaming his wife for his recent album? And for his insulting prog fans??  

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm saying she might have influenced him. Who knows?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 19:18

Try this:

Or this:

Or:

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 19:25
Future Bites isn't bad, IMO it's pretty good. What it isn't is S Wilson the prescient music genius ushering in the future of first rate pop which is what you might mistake it to be given his snob hardsell. It sounds a bit like the mainstream British music he was listening to in the 90s. Especially 12 Things I Forgot is a sweet melody that could have been on Cathy Dennis' last, criminally underrated solo album Am I The Kinda Girl.

Edited by rogerthat - March 08 2021 at 19:27
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 19:29
On that note, it always amuses me how staid, how careful, indeed how tasteful Wilson is for all his talk of being with the innovators and disdaining the imitators. He specializes in making music that is generally too well put together to dislike. Which also means it isn't really as adventurous as his pitch suggests.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 22:50
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

On that note, it always amuses me how staid, how careful, indeed how tasteful Wilson is for all his talk of being with the innovators and disdaining the imitators. He specializes in making music that is generally too well put together to dislike. Which also means it isn't really as adventurous as his pitch suggests.
I wouldn't say Steven Wilson is as adventurous as Radiohead. I wouldn't say Steven Wilson is adventurous as David Bowie's last three albums. Nonetheless I don't think you can take away that Future Bites is a well put together album which has plenty to enjoy about it. What it isn't is that it's not that proggy. Does it matter to people? Doesn't really matter to me.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 23:02
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I wouldn't say Steven Wilson is as adventurous as Radiohead. I wouldn't say Steven Wilson is adventurous as David Bowie's last three albums. Nonetheless I don't think you can take away that Future Bites is a well put together album which has plenty to enjoy about it. What it isn't is that it's not that proggy. Does it matter to people? Doesn't really matter to me.

Never said it isn't good. What I said is it doesn't live up to his own pitch, you know where he is moaning about guitar being a dead end and raving about experimenting with electronic. For all that, Lianne La Havas somehow has a distinct voice on guitar that he doesn't have YET on electronic. Wilson is in essence a brilliant producer and arranger and a decent composer. Come to think, he is like the APP of our times, but more lively, more rocking and less adult contemporary oriented.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 00:15
He is a clever chappie but really he has been given this spiel since the late 90's when I read an interview he did for Kerrang and pretty much put himself forward as the future of prog rock. However its a good point made above that his music is hardly 'out there' or experimental in any way whatsoever. He is a polished performer and I'm sure he likes to shift units. I've bought pretty much everything he's done (PT and solo) and there are lots of great albums. He is really at his best when he 'gets his rocks off' like he did with Deadwing and The Raven That Refused To Sing. Those are great modern(ish) heavy prog albums. He knows his stuff but as said by Andy , he can be a bit of a bore. Having an (interesting) personality is not his strong point. Hard work and endeavour though is and I will give him that. IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>