Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guitar Player Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guitar Player Magazine
    Posted: March 08 2021 at 07:27
The April 2021, issue of Guitar Player magazine - 50 years of prog is pretty cool. An interview with Steve Howe about "Fragile", Martin Barre on "Aqualung", 25 essential prog guitarists (Keneally made the list!), 10 future prog legends, and Hackett talks about his new solo release. Not to be missed. Best GP in a long time.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 08 2021 at 07:28
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 12:48
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The April 2021, issue of Guitar Player magazine - 50 years of prog is pretty cool. An interview with Steve Howe about "Fragile", Martin Barre on "Aqualung", 25 essential prog guitarists (Keneally made the list!), 10 future prog legends, and Hackett talks about his new solo release. Not to be missed. Best GP in a long time.

Hi,

I like reading these things ... though, in the end, they scare me ... and the reason why is that it continues the idea that only the "best", or "known" and above all ACCEPTED by a magazine, are worth of the discussion, and no one else has a chance ... and of course the top ten social media group, will immediately think this is heavenly ... it maybe for those folks, but in the end, it is very bad for the music itself.

I find it strange ... there are gueetar pickers in the streets and parks in Madrid that can easily make almost all of these look weak and not able to do much past one thing or two or a couple of tricks and bits in their hands and minds! Not to mention around the world for that matter ... 

I would buy it, if it was more about the music ... but it is about the "star" a lot more than it is about the music, in my book ... 

I said the same thing about the Bass Player magazine that was highlighting some 2nd rate metal players, and ignored everyone else, because the band was well known and famous, and it would help the magazine sell a few more ... well, at least I stopped buying it more than 2 or 3 years ago ... I really was not interested in one more interview or discussion about RW, MR, CS and so on ... although I would have a softer spot for Chris than the others ... and he shows in one nice interview what made him so valuable ... he had the ability and the talent to help the song better ... a sort of trait that we remember in JP (Pastorius) that almost no one else has ... a freedom to "move" that is uncanny and almost always ... really beautiful and well done!

But to me, I don't think the folks mentioned can stand up to a John Weinzierl, the late Michael Karoli, or even Jan Akkerman, that were playing far more difficult music and making it work! Sadly, I do not feel that everyone is listening to the music ... just the gods of something or other!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:32
^Yeah, I agree there are plenty of unknown guitarists that destroy the popular ones. Allan Holdsworth was one of them. Not at all popular with his solo material and rarely discussed around here. Anyway, the inclusion of Mike Keneally (as far from a star as you can get) as one of the top 25 was a shocker to me. He is not talked about at all, and I'm glad GP gave him kudos. The 10 future prog guitarist list had several unknowns. Don't see how this is bad for music. This magazine is celebrating prog guitarists. No need to be negative. Spend a few euros and read it in the park in Madrid. Ask those guitar players what they think of the list.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 08 2021 at 13:41
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I said the same thing about the Bass Player magazine that was highlighting some 2nd rate metal players, and ignored everyone else, because the band was well known and famous, and it would help the magazine sell a few more ... well, at least I stopped buying it more than 2 or 3 years ago ... I really was not interested in one more interview or discussion about RW, MR, CS and so on ... although I would have a softer spot for Chris than the others ... and he shows in one nice interview what made him so valuable ... he had the ability and the talent to help the song better ... a sort of trait that we remember in JP (Pastorius) that almost no one else has ... a freedom to "move" that is uncanny and almost always ... really beautiful and well done!

So that's why I like Percy Jones, Dougie Rauch, Eberhard Weber, Tony Levin, and, to a lesser degree, Mick Karn so much!
Thanks, Moshy!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, Grumpster! Can't wait till April!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:46
Interesting. The first time I saw prog mentioned on the cover of a non prog magazine was in the year 2000. I don't remember the name of the magazine though. Instrument focused magazines such as GP and Keyboard player often focus on specific genres like prog. General music magazines(ie Rolling Stone) not so much.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:55
^It's out now in the States.
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMSM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 15:10
Thats why I prefer to listen to people here what they have to say, especially since I looked at the magazine and many of the guitarists mentioned only had a paragraph or two talking about them
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 15:14
Cool photos too

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 20:08
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look for that one on the newsstand! 

I was a regular reader of Guitar Player since high school (early 1970s), and they were always generous to prog guitarists and bassists.  Their interviews with Chris Squire and Bob Fripp were classics of that era, long before the music magazines like Circus were turned onto their unique styles.  They also shone a bright spotlight on a young genius named Al Dimeola!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 07:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 09:19
 Post Reply Post Reply