Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Atomic Symphony for Progressive Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black_diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atomic Symphony for Progressive Metal
    Posted: March 12 2021 at 16:22
Atomic Symphony - A Progressive Metal Band from Switzerland

Originally founded in 2009 as a Symphonic Metal Band, Atomic Symphony was brought into life. After a turbulent time of members joining and leaving the band, it has now finally found the perfect constellation as a band of five members. However, with a growing interest for bands like Dream Theater and Meshuggah, the band's interests soon shifted from Symphonic Metal to Progressive Metal. With the aim to gain musical quality, the will to take up a musical challenge and the joy of creating gripping songs, the band has eagerly followed their idols' footsteps. The band's self-produced debut album „Redemption“ was released in September 2015 and a new single "Nighfall" in 2021. The band is planing to release a brand new album closer to the end of 2021.

Homepage https://www.atomic-symphony.com/
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/atomic.symphony/
Samples and discography at https://atomicsymphony.bandcamp.com/track/nightfall
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 03:03
the band was rejected by the team two years ago
we have to wait for the new album, that bears the chance for re-evaluation ...

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 09:56
Please remind us to review this band when streaming is available for the new album.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 10:25
Looking on ProgFreak, there were only three people who contributed an opinion on whether or not Atomic Symphony should be accepted into PA. Two no votes, and one yes vote. I’ve just evened the score, by adding another yes vote. It’s provisional only, because it’s based on only one song. But if the new album sounds like this, that yes from me will stand.

I can definitely hear why they were rejected last time, listening to the Redemption album. I suspect the one yes vote was a “weak yes”, as Redemption is barely prog enough. Based on that album alone, I probably would have gone for a no, as it doesn’t quite pass the prog metal barrier for me.

But....

The one new song from this year, Nightfall, is a completely different beast. Right from the very start the difference is astounding. It sounds like a different band. Honestly, if this year’s album sounds like this, I can’t see this band not being accepted this time. Obviously, we will need to hear more than just the one song, but I’m liking what I hear here. (And, no offence intended at all, I didn’t at all like Redemption.)

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 17:51
There have been two full albums since this thread was last updated, 'Hybris' (July 2022), and 'Nemesis' (July 2023). Unfortunately, with the release of 'Nemesis', the group have also announced their disbandment, but that doesn't prevent them being evaluated here. Tongue

Everything they've released can be heard at https://atomicsymphony.bandcamp.com/.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 17:52
Maybe the metal team can contact the band to get permission to use their excellent and concise bio. But right now I'm swamped and don't have the energy - I'll need that taken care of before I can guarantee a reevaluation.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 19:10
^ OK, I take the hint lol!

This is basically their own bio, but I've played around with it a fair bit, so it's now barely recognisable as such:

Atomic Symphony was founded in 2009 in the Zurich Oberland, Switzerland - originally as a Symphonic Metal Band. However, the band's influences soon shifted from Symphonic Metal to Progressive Metal as the popularity of bands such as Dream Theater and Meshuggah grew and the band became more ambitious - with their desire to create more challenging music, and experience the joy the joy of creating gripping songs, driving them forward.

There were a number of line-up changes in the early stages, but the band eventually stabilised as a five-piece consisting of Marc Friedrich (drums), Jasmin Baggenstos (vocals), Roberto Barlocci (guitar), Carlo Beltrame (keys) and Thomas Spoegler (bass). They played a number of small gigs before making it into the finals of the Axegrinder Metal Band Contest in 2011, and the band's self-produced debut album 'Redemption' was released four years later in September 2015.

Almost seven years after that, the band announced their second album 'Hybris', which was released in July 2022 as the first part of a concept double album, with the second part 'Nemesis' following in July 2023.

Their music is characterised by rousing guitar riffs, virtuoso guitar solos, an energetic, fat bass, epic, melodic strings, cutting synthesizers and drums which add hard rhythms and pounding fills into the mix. A strong, feminine voice enhances the music even further, which varies from touchingly soft parts to typically hard metal passages. Complex overall, yet melodic and compact, with amazing live qualities.

Sadly, with the release of 'Nemesis', the band also announced that they were calling it a day.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2023 at 07:30
I meant to address this earlier, but yam yam, the metal team really needs an original bio, not one translated from German to English taken from their website.

It doesn't have to be a novella, just something in your own words.

Edited by Gordy - October 11 2023 at 07:31
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2023 at 11:47
^ I thought I'd altered the words around sufficiently for it not to matter that the source of the information was the official website - it wasn't just a plain copy/paste of the translation of the German text, though I did keep some of the phrases they used to describe their music, since that is an area I struggle a lot with (and is also the reason why I have never written a review of anyone's music on PA).

Anyhow, since it doesn't meet your requirements, I'll try again, this time cutting out the descriptive phrases from the band's website and replacing them with some line-up history.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATOMIC SYMPHONY: Formed 2009, Zurich Switzerland; on indefinite hiatus from July 2023.

ATOMIC SYMPHONY is a progressive metal band from Zurich, Switzerland formed as a six-piece in 2009 by Marc FRIEDRICH (drums), Nikola RAKIC (bass), Mario MAUZ (guitar), Luca WIDMER (rhythm guitar), Roman SATTLER (keyboards) and Lena SCHMIDLI (vocals). In the early stages the band's influences tended towards symphonic rather than progressive metal, and its development was hampered by several line-up changes, with Luca WIDMER, Roman SATTLER and Lena SCHMIDLI all departing in 2011 - the latter two being replaced by Carlo BELTRAME on keyboards and Jasmin BAGGENSTOS on vocals, thus reducing the band to a five-piece.

Guitarist Mario MAUZ also left the band in 2013, and was replaced about a year later by Roberto BARLOCCI, with bassist Nikola RAKIC following him in 2015 to be replaced by Thomas SPOEGLER. Both bassists were involved with the recording of the band's debut album 'Redemption', which was finally released in September of that year.

This line-up has since remained stable, and by 2022 the band had recorded enough songs to enable them to release two more albums. Originally they wanted to release all the songs on one album, but that would have led to a running time of almost 80 minutes, and in the end they decided to split the songs into two albums with a common theme linking them. The first of these albums was 'Hybris' in 2022, followed by the release of 'Nemesis' in 2023 as a continuation of the story that began on 'Hybris'. The cover artwork of the two albums also underlines the connection between them, and helps them to work together as a unit despite the different release dates.

In the seven years between the recording of the debut album 'Redemption' and the release of 'Hybris', the band members' listening habits changed somewhat, and as a result so did their style of playing. Both the latter two albums were produced by the highly experienced guitarist Tommy VETTERLI, something which has also had a positive effect on the band's sound - this already having moved significantly closer to progressive rather than symphonic metal.

Sadly, with the release of Nemesis in July 2023, the band decided to call it a day, and as of October 2023 are said to be on indefinite hiatus.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ That's the best I can do unfortunately, so if it still falls short of the mark then somebody else will need to try their luck at getting the band evaluated here.

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2023 at 11:59
Thanks for the revisions, I really appreciate it. I'll take them to the team.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2023 at 22:05
And now added.

Thanks to the Prog Metal team for bringing this to a speedy conclusion. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply