Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

London Prog Gigs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LondonProgGigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: London Prog Gigs
    Posted: March 13 2021 at 12:06
Hi all, I've just joined the forum so please excuse me if I get anything wrong. Just to mention the London Prog Gigs group on Facebook; not much has happened over the last year but with gigs expected to return soon, we have the most comprehensive gig listings for prog and prog-related events in the London area, plus some friendly chat https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonProgGigs
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 12:16
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 12:55
there's a September gig at Cafe Oto with the Henry Cow related bands Jump For Joy, The Watts, Yumi Hara.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 08:56
Hi,

I'm willing to bet that these won't go off as the City won't allow permits for them. 

However, if they did their thing and had it filmed/video'd for streaming directly ... it would work ... but I don't think there are enough bands wanting to do something different yet ... everyone seems to be dead set on getting into a hall with hundreds and thousands of other folks, and I'm thinking that is still a year or two away ... rock music needs to stop the adoration for this live thing ... and get on to the music and something more direct to the fans ... the old thing is likely gone for a while.

AND, finally, the last thing we want is a progressive bunch of folks being accused of being a bunch of turds and spreading the damn lurgi even more! We can't be that sick and ugly!

Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
LondonProgGigs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LondonProgGigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 15:20
The industry is optimistic that the end of lockdown date of 21st June announced by the Government is firm, and if so, no permits will be required.  We'll see. 

You obviously prefer recorded music, which is fine and you're probably in the majority; however a substantial number of folk still like live music, which is what my Facebook group caters for. Personally though I'm also not keen on gigs with 'thousands of other folks; I far prefer small venues of around 100 people maximum. Which is normal in the prog genre, to be honest :-)

And the 'prog' demographic tend to be 50+ so will all be 'double-jabbed' before anyone else!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 19:48
Originally posted by LondonProgGigs LondonProgGigs wrote:

You obviously prefer recorded music, which is fine and you're probably in the majority; however a substantial number of folk still like live music, which is what my Facebook group caters for. Personally though I'm also not keen on gigs with 'thousands of other folks; I far prefer small venues of around 100 people maximum. Which is normal in the prog genre, to be honest :-)

Hi,

Incorrect, actually. What matters to me is not live or Memorex ... it is THE MUSIC.

We've gotten ourselves into a thinking more than seems to suggest that "live" is way better than "Memorex", and I have seen it from the both sides, and there is no way of telling ... but the idea that we have to be in the same room to enjoy music, is preposterous and in this day of the crazy pandemic, something that is likely to be dangerous. 

The date may be "firm", but I'll bet you that there will be several restrictions and more of this and that which will cut down the ability to put together a show as you would like.

I appreciate the artist, and 9 out of 10 times, as a person and musician is much more important to me than the media and stage sensation ... and as such, while I was guilty of wanting to see a few bands, coming with it ... was something not as nice and neat for the music!

1. Babe Ruth put on a great show at the Whiskey, but the fan boys were there for Iggy and the Stooges. Saddest thing I ever saw ... they put on a massive great show. I walked out before 20 minutes of Iggy and the Stooges!

2. PF at the Sports Arena. 700+ people got busted at the door BEFORE the concert and during the concert (The Wall) there were narks removing folks from the audience right during the show ... sickest poop I ever saw.

3. International Progressive Music Fest 1999 (SF). Lana Lane and the Rocket Scientists opened the whole thing and put on the most professional and clean show I have seen in decades. Only for folks to leave saying that it wasn't prog, but too much metal ... they deserved a lot better.

4. Damo Suzuki solo in Portland. I can't dislike this guy but before the show he was "meeting" the fans and having a cigarette, and he would not talk. I can handle an actor concentrating or working on his concentration, but you would not do that next to many fans, that wanted to shake your hand and all that. He put on a mailed in show, that was ... average ... at best. Daevid Allen did the same thing and was having a party drawing out "certificates" for various folks ... and having a lot of fun! The difference was astounding!

5. The worst? In Chicago during the worst days (late 60's) ... one band did NOT show up to the show (they were famous for being late!!!) ... and instead we got the police coming down the street with clubs in their hands. It wasn't fun running for your life.

In general, I got to see many things, Tangerine Dream 4 times from the first American Tour on, Hawkwind and Man, Nektar, Gong (toured and took pics with them on my website), Alan Stivell, and a few of the better known within the progressive/prog list.

Saddest show? YES at the Long Beach Arena in 1972 doing TFTO ... in its entirety. It was magnificent ... but the audience was rude and only "woke" up for the 2nd part of the show that started with CTTE. I left ... I cried going out because it was not about the music ... and the folks in the audience only wanted the hits, and to fudge up anything else ... the artist was "no more" ... it was now about the hits! 

And lastly ... the famous Anaheim Show where Roger got upset at fans and swore at them ... not to mention that on one other show he was upset because too many fans were getting stoned instead of getting into the music!

There are times, when "live" is not worth it ... but I will tell you that I do not regret seeing one guitarist live ... that was incredible ... Stevie Ray Vaughn ... and on that night I doubt anyone could touch his universe! Many of these are on video, though I'm not sure they are all his "best".

And finally ... you don't go to see Mozart or Beethoven because it is live. You go to see it because you LOVE THE MUSIC ... and this is all I'm saying ... 

Edited by moshkito - June 19 2021 at 09:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 04:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm willing to bet that these won't go off as the City won't allow permits for them. 

However, if they did their thing and had it filmed/video'd for streaming directly ... it would work ... but I don't think there are enough bands wanting to do something different yet ... everyone seems to be dead set on getting into a hall with hundreds and thousands of other folks, and I'm thinking that is still a year or two away ... rock music needs to stop the adoration for this live thing ... and get on to the music and something more direct to the fans ... the old thing is likely gone for a while.

AND, finally, the last thing we want is a progressive bunch of folks being accused of being a bunch of turds and spreading the damn lurgi even more! We can't be that sick and ugly!

Tongue

It's less about music lovers missing out, but venues having to permanently close, and musicians not having any income or exposure. Most artists don't make any money from their recorded work, and rely on live work for income. Streaming etc is no substitute for the real thing.

No one wants to be spreading disease of course, but Covid 19 is with us permanently now, and will be managed with vaccines and maybe annual boosters. At some point, we're just going to have to get on with it. Not a popular view, I know, but there is actually no alternative. Western populations will reject constant or frequent lockdowns, probably violently.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 04:46
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Tongue

It's less about music lovers missing out, but venues having to permanently close, and musicians not having any income or exposure. Most artists don't make any money from their recorded work, and rely on live work for income. Streaming etc is no substitute for the real thing.

No one wants to be spreading disease of course, but Covid 19 is with us permanently now, and will be managed with vaccines and maybe annual boosters. At some point, we're just going to have to get on with it. Not a popular view, I know, but there is actually no alternative. Western populations will reject constant or frequent lockdowns, probably violently.

I've been to a few "gigs" over the last 12 months i.e. where the artist has performed "live" and streamed it on a pay per view basis. It's good as it enables them to get some income but as Andy says it doesn't help the venues or the people working there and it's no substitute for the real thing (the only advantage is it doesn't take long to get home after the gig). 
I suspect when all adults have been vaccinated we will be able to return to normal gigs but I'm not sure the mosh pit will survive (not that I'd ever be in one at my age anyway).

Edited by chopper - March 22 2021 at 04:48
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 14:55
Just applied to join the London Prog Gigs Facebook group. Living in Brighton, quite happy to head to London from time to time. Yes it is sad to see venues and artists struggling as the Covid 19 crisis seems to drag on and on. Indeed,  seems that this damn virus will not go away completely and we may be looking at trying to somehow manage our lives knowing that it is lurking. But I think that many of us really want to go and see live music again, and hopefully that will eventually lead to more events returning. And I am bit too old for stage diving and moshing.. so can mange without them. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've been to a few "gigs" over the last 12 months i.e. where the artist has performed "live" and streamed it on a pay per view basis. It's good as it enables them to get some income but as Andy says it doesn't help the venues or the people working there and it's no substitute for the real thing (the only advantage is it doesn't take long to get home after the gig). 
mosh pit will survive (not that I'd ever be in one at my age anyway).

Hi,

Wait until you are 71, and the susceptibility to many things is usually an issue that the doctor does not usually wish to tackle above everything else.

As for the venues, I have not seen a single venue in Portland that was not bringing in money from the drinks and the snacks, all of which were over priced, of course.

In general, any bar will gladly take a large crowd as it works out better than a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday, unless you have a hot band. But around here it is usually a sad stop and the only time I have seen both venues full was for GONG in their first and second tours through here ... 1995 or so. The first with Pip and the second with Pierre. Damo was half filled. I missed MONO and AUTUMN LEAF (sick) and was told that it was less than half. 

In general, Portland is not a good stop but I'm glad to catch anything that pops by on their ride north to Seattle or south to SF. As an example Portland did not do RTF (with Ponty!) but Eugene did! And the same goes for ZPZ which opened for RTF. 

Too much of a small town country music place! Even the jazz fest here does not fill up, but then they do not consider a whole lot of jass (saying on purpose!) because it is not anything but "traditional" and all sound the same!

Trust me ... if I could afford it, I would be in London or Paris so I could see a lot more music!

Edited by moshkito - June 19 2021 at 09:29
www.pedrosena.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 11:14
Thanks for performing this service for us prog fans.....some of those shows are reeeeeally tempting.  While it's good to see things starting to open up again, I really wish we'd take baby steps with the whole max capacity indoor thing.  But I can't resist:  I got 12th row center for Crimso in Ft Worth and Austin.  Vacc verification necessary for entry but I wonder if people will mask up?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply