Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Maple

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Maple
    Posted: March 16 2021 at 16:43
U.S. Maple is one of my favourite bands. Any fans here?

I don’t think their sound appears to have anything to do with prog at first glance. They seem to be crazy, all over the place, the two guitars and drums flopping all over the place in a non-committal way. Guitar melodies bleed over the beat into the next measure, seeming not to line up with the rhythm. I always thought they sounded like classic rock ‘n roll put into the microwave for 30 secs so it starts to melt.

Take a second look — perhaps pick one of their songs, listen to the studio version, and then listen to the live version. You will notice that every little tic is played the same way live. If you ask me, they’ve figured out how to do something very interesting indeed. They take the prog rock thing of playing incredibly precisely, but they do it with an entirely different attitude, different set of sounds. To me it sounds very fresh.

“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 16:45

Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 16:47
Also, I know frontman Al Johnson’s vocals and lyrics aren’t for everyone. In my opinion, he is a bold, innovative artist.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 02:32
I had a brief listen while I was getting the kids ready for school, which definitely wasn’t the best time or space to be listening to this band.

From this brief first impression, they come across as a rather unique fusion of two quite disparate genres. They take the tropes of math rock and noise rock and combine them in an unlikely and unexpected manner, which is initially quite difficult on the ear. I love a lot of math rock, and I love a lot of noise rock, but I’ve never heard them brought together in this way before. I’m not convinced it works for me - but, as aforementioned, I didn’t choose the best time and space to give them a fair listen. I will definitely come back to this band, and give them another go.

I think what it comes down to here is whether or not you conceive of prog as a genre, or as an attitude. I suspect this band would not find a place easily in PA, because of the way this site chooses to define prog - but the band seems to me to be definitely progressive in their approach.

Thanks for sharing! 👍🏻

Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 02:48
They’re not an easy listen. But if you can find the thread I promise it’s worth it. I think the best thing to do is listen to a full album. ‘Talker’ is considered their masterpiece. It’s more blues-inflected than their previous work. I understand the impulse to lump them with noise and math rock (their first album ‘Long Hair in Three Stages’ shows this influence the strongest). Certainly they exist in those orbits. But if you regard them in light of classic rock (think AC/DC) it might help them ‘click.’
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 03:25
Originally posted by Crane Crane wrote:

They’re not an easy listen. But if you can find the thread I promise it’s worth it. I think the best thing to do is listen to a full album. ‘Talker’ is considered their masterpiece. It’s more blues-inflected than their previous work. I understand the impulse to lump them with noise and math rock (their first album ‘Long Hair in Three Stages’ shows this influence the strongest). Certainly they exist in those orbits. But if you regard them in light of classic rock (think AC/DC) it might help them ‘click.’

I wasn’t lumping them into anything. And to be fair, given the choice, I’d definitely prefer to lump them into math and noise than classic rock, if we’re thinking AC/DC. I don’t mind a lot of classic rock, but AC/DC is not a band that I’ve ever really liked. The odd song or two is catchy and enjoyable in isolation, but I can’t handle hearing too much in one go. My brother had a lot of their albums, and I couldn’t stay in the same room if they were playing. (But I’m have no problem if a song came up on the radio.)

Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 03:34
Obviously they don’t sound like AC/DC. Rather they utilise the sonic vocabulary of classic rock, introducing new challenges to it and through it.
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 03:35
It should be said that Todd Rittman was a member of Cheer-Accident, who appear on PA.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 10:21
I've come across the band name every now and then but never really listened to them until now. 

Good stuff!! A bit like Slint if they were very drunk. LOL
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 10:34
Yea, I like Slint.

I lived in Minnesota for a while. Music nerds in that area consider ‘Talker’ one of the best Midwestern records, which is saying something if you’re familiar with the heavyweight bands from there.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 12:34
I saw Cheer Accident mentioned...whom I like. So...I listned to the clips, and I have to say U.S. Maple don't  appeal to me ,but I can see that they aren't just fooling around.

BTW...Mr Rittman plays 'mellotron' on Life Rings Hollow on Chicago XX by Cheer Accident...and one of my best friends Greg sings the lead on that track. Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - March 18 2021 at 12:36
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2021 at 03:10
U.S. Maple were favourites of mine when I was into really scraggly, ugly, dissonant rock. They are one the best and most extreme examples of it. 

Kudos for making the point of their compositional intentions. These guys weren't just flailing around making it up as they went. They crafted songs. Strangely broken songs, but songs.  

They are here btw (I suggested them years back) http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=10824
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2021 at 03:54
Awesome! Good to know. Yea they are “broken” but I think they also display a great deal of depth and feeling. Folks here might like their last album ‘Purple On Time,’ which is significantly more melodic.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2021 at 06:26
They fit a mood.  I like it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply