Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson Announces New Jethro Tull Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Anderson Announces New Jethro Tull Album
    Posted: March 20 2021 at 05:43
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jethro-tull-new-album-lyric-book/

The Zealot Gene is the title

All I have to say to this is: please be good, please be good, please be good....

Discus! Personally, i'm not going to get my hopes up, but I really hope that this album is a genuinely good late career release that many of us can at least get behind musically.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 06:13
I'm sure it won't be as good as Thick as a Brick. LOL 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 06:35
To be honest, i'd be happy if its as good as A or Broadsword haha. I don't anticipate getting a Blackstar out of this but i'll take what I can get.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 06:40
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

To be honest, i'd be happy if its as good as A or Broadsword haha. I don't anticipate getting a Blackstar out of this but i'll take what I can get.

I'd be delirious too. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 07:53
Why the amazement? Most of his 'solo' albums have quite good ratings. I personally think that Thick As A Brick 2 and Homo Erraticus are excellent albums.
I mean, I always hope that new releases maintain or elevate an artist's catalogue. Sometimes they deliver and sometimes they don't. Ian has a pretty good record (no pun intended) on this front.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 08:17
This album has been in the works for more than two years. I certainly hope it's qualty reflects that. Btw, Aqualung was released 50 years ago yesterday.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 08:20
Yeah apparently they started it in 2017 actually ^ stakes are high eh?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 08:34
Yup, I would say so. Still can't imagine Tull without Martin Barre, but that's another story.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 08:37
Oh, and the album was shelved one year due to the pandemic, but still they took enough time to make it.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 09:14
Will Martin be on it?
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 09:36
"Former Jethro Tull guitarist Martin Barre described Ian Anderson’s decision to split the band in 2012 as his “worst mistake” and added that even a one-off reunion would be “difficult” for him.

Read More:
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/martin-barre-jethro-tull-split/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 09:51
I don't know what to think of this news. Geek

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 11:43
It was time for Ian Anderson to hang it up a decade ago, at least vocally. Instrumentally, I'd love an album without the painful chore of listening to the agonizing gasps and wheezes. Please and thank you.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 11:49
I take it this will be with the current lineup(ie his solo backing band)?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 13:45
Haven't been enamored with the latest stuff of his, but ill of course give this one a try. Glad to see this finally come out at any rate. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 13:57
I just wonder if Steven Wilson could possibly be behind the mixing table. At the very least, that would be very nice since his (Ians) latest output the drumming in particular sounds like its to a metronome and SW would possibly be able to add that awesome earthy texture we love about Tulls best records.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 14:08
True, as Wilson's wife isn't involved.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 14:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yup, I would say so. Still can't imagine Tull without Martin Barre, but that's another story.

I agree...it's not Tull without at least Martin Barre and the last real Tull with the classic players was Stormwatch. Though I have most of the rest and a few are decent ,none have that  great 'Tull sound' imho.
I have no expectations that this 'Tull' album will be very good when it comes to the classic sound.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 19:22
Anderson's ego will prevent him from not singing, as seen on that terrible String Quartet release. He cannot accept that his vocals detract from anything he releases. For God sakes man,  release an instrumental "Tull" album before you leave this Earth!...Oh, and ask Martin (on bended knee) to come back for one last Tull album before "signing off".

Edited by BarryGlibb - March 20 2021 at 19:39
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 22:40
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Anderson's ego will prevent him from not singing, as seen on that terrible String Quartet release. He cannot accept that his vocals detract from anything he releases. For God sakes man,  release an instrumental "Tull" album before you leave this Earth!...Oh, and ask Martin (on bended knee) to come back for one last Tull album before "signing off".

Hi,

I don't think he has to "sing", and he could end up simply doing some poetry and add some words here and there in a normal voice that might make it easier for him to say something.

I kinda think that this new album might be a bit more "instrumental", and less about the songs and the lyrics as has been the case in the past. 

But, honestly, like many of the "big 5" and other bands, it is time for them to call it a night and not be thought of as all of a sudden being poor in their abilities and indulgences. I keep thinking that the last thing I would like to see is a sad old man trying to sing yet again ... and sounding terrible and not being able to adjust to different vocal styles and details for the sake of another stupid rock song!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>