Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covet - a band you should hear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covet - a band you should hear
    Posted: March 20 2021 at 07:46
Covet, a trio from California, have been around since 2014. 

Current line up is: Yvette Young - guitar; David Adamiak - bass; Forrest Rice - drums. They have released one EP and two LP's and have a mega-whopping total of four ratings from our PA members to date. Disapprove They deserve your attention. Please, listen to the song and give comments. 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 08:32
Love this band!  I turned a couple of radio hosts on to them.  Clap
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 08:39
shouldn't the name of the thread be "Covet - a band you should covet"? Wink

Edited by BaldJean - March 20 2021 at 11:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 10:04
Good band. Yvette is an amazing player. I think I posted the video for "Sea Dragon" a few years back in a thread about math rock recommendations. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 11:59
I dig!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2021 at 16:18
Wow, a thread about Covet! (And why didn't I start one before!?)

I discovered Covet via their appearance on the program I'll link below. I was instantly smitten by what was, essentially, an instrumental prog band on a show that usually features local indie talent in the shape of neo-punk, ska, folk, R&B, rockabilly, reggae, Latin grooves, etc.

Yvette Young was already an accomplished pianist and violinist when she picked up the guitar. She says she approaches the fretboard like a keyboard.

This is a video for "Jolt" from one of Yvette's EPs. Forrest is on drums. No guitar or bass!

Finally, the video for "Nero"!

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 05:46
^Thanks for posting these videos.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 07:23
This acoustic version has a infectious vibe.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 17:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Sorry I didn't do it sooner! Pinch
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:39

^ Agreed!
Thank you!

Yvette is such a joy to hear!
Love her style of playing!

(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:52
Seen them live. Highly recommend band to see live if you like the prog metal bands that Covet usually opens for.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 11:23
Covet's new album Catharsis is out in just a few days. Preorders on "the big site" are a whopping 9.98. At that price, they should sell out.

As everyone knows, Yvette Young now plays with a different rhythm section. Former bassist David Adamiak and drummer Forrest Rice are gone. I'm not entirely sure what happened, only that their departures weren't drama-free.

Forrest appears in the "Firebird" video because they shot it before he left for good. I've seen some complain about the new drummer, who I concur plays with less finesse.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 12:20
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Covet's new album Catharsis is out in just a few days. Preorders on "the big site" are a whopping 9.98. At that price, they should sell out.

As everyone knows, Yvette Young now plays with a different rhythm section. Former bassist David Adamiak and drummer Forrest Rice are gone. I'm not entirely sure what happened, only that their departures weren't drama-free.

Forrest appears in the "Firebird" video because they shot it before he left for good. I've seen some complain about the new drummer, who I concur plays with less finesse.

Yeah, this one I just didn't like as much as the first one.  Personnel changes could be the reason.  I listened to it a couple of times and it just didn't grab me.  I know Yvette is the focal point, but supporting musicians do matter and often help shape the feeling of the material.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 12:30
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Yeah, this one I just didn't like as much as the first one.  Personnel changes could be the reason.  I listened to it a couple of times and it just didn't grab me.  I know Yvette is the focal point, but supporting musicians do matter and often help shape the feeling of the material.

Forrest drums on all the tracks except one ("Interlude" is the one drumless piece, Jessica drums on "Coronal").

I don't like Catharsis as much as Effloresce or Technicolor, either. It's still pretty good, and for $10 to my door, a no-brainer for keeping up with a guitarist who knocked me on my backside the first time I heard her play.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 13:35

Forrest drums on all the tracks except one ("Interlude" is the one drumless piece, Jessica drums on "Coronal").

I don't like Catharsis as much as Effloresce or Technicolor, either. It's still pretty good, and for $10 to my door, a no-brainer for keeping up with a guitarist who knocked me on my backside the first time I heard her play.

No doubt that she's fabulous at what she does.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 13:46
I am impressed with Yvette Young on guitar, and she has a pleasant voice as well as good looks (which can help), and would like to hear her on piano and violin as well. I rather hope she ditches the hairy dudes and releases albums under her own name (maybe she has). It is such an amazing time for female musicians (maybe it always was, but I feel like lots of the best singer-songwriters these days are women).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 14:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I am impressed with Yvette Young on guitar, and she has a pleasant voice as well as good looks (which can help), and would like to hear her on piano and violin as well. I rather hope she ditches the hairy dudes and releases albums under her own name (maybe she has). It is such an amazing time for female musicians (maybe it always was, but I feel like lots of the best singer-songwriters these days are women).

LOL The original hairys have been replaced by a new (girl) drummer and another hairy bassist.

Yvette has indeed issued three self-released all-acoustic solo EPs, on disc and digital, that showcase her boss skills on violin, piano, guitar, harp and banjo.

You can hear the Piano EP here! piano EP | yvette young (bandcamp.com)

Upthread, I posted the video for "Jolt," the lone track which features percussion by then-bandmate Forrest Rice.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 14:42
The new album is out now. It is 28+ minutes and I like it more than the previous album. She also plays piano on one track. Why y'all so negative?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 15:05
I was peripherally aware of Yvette Young from guitar Youtube, but never listened to previous Covet albums. I just recently listened to the new one and really liked it. I guess from this thread I need to go back and listen to the previous catalog.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 15:22

The new album is out now. It is 28+ minutes and I like it more than the previous album. She also plays piano on one track. Why y'all so negative?

Not me!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>