Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top five fusion drummers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 03:53
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Furio Chirico ❤️

Effing amazing, though he can almost be too much. 

I was going to include Christian Vander in my initial list but I thought that may have been stretching it a bit. Also, I wasn't going to include Jack DeJohnette, as the OP said "no traditional jazz drummers", but yeah, he's gotta be allowed in. He's a fusion pioneer. What was I thinking? Put him in the top 5! 

I did include Christian Vander. he made some fusion albums, for example this one:

here a track:

it actually sounds like Zeuhl without vocals

Edited by BaldJean - March 30 2021 at 03:55

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 07:22
https://youtu.be/OPYvRFKBX_g
Deafmoon
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 02:13
The defence case for Carl Palmer , there is some fusion in here Smile

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 13:46
Honorable mention to drummer Chuck Burgi, who played on my favorite Brand X LP, "Masques!" 

He has a very crisp style and brings quite a bit of "rock" to the idiom of "jazz rock!"

Edited by cstack3 - April 05 2021 at 13:47
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:04
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Honorable mention to drummer Chuck Burgi, who played on my favorite Brand X LP, "Masques!" 

He has a very crisp style and brings quite a bit of "rock" to the idiom of "jazz rock!"
I went to high school in New Jersey with Chuck Burgi.  More accurately I went to the same high school as he did at the same time.  He might remember me but I doubt it.  He was a nice guy in school.  He played in the school's best rock group.  Their name was Red Bred (or Red Bread).
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:13
+1 for Furio Chirico
The guy never saw a fill he didn't like! Amazingly busy drummer, and utterly unknown outside of Italy or hard core prog circles.
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:16
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I went to high school in New Jersey with Chuck Burgi.  More accurately I went to the same high school as he did at the same time.  He might remember me but I doubt it.  He was a nice guy in school.  He played in the school's best rock group.  Their name was Red Bred (or Red Bread).

I got to hang with him a bit during his stint in Blue Oyster Cult after a show. Asked him about Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow, and oh boy did he have stories about that band.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:31

I love BX up through Do They HurtClap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:32
Originally posted by zeuhl1 zeuhl1 wrote:

I got to hang with him a bit during his stint in Blue Oyster Cult after a show. Asked him about Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow, and oh boy did he have stories about that band.

I'm all ears! Wink
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:56
ok, well the cliff notes version:
"Well he was a difficult guy but of course he's Blackmore, so putting up with it to play in Rainbow was worth it. For a while. He fancied himself 'the prince of darkness' and some weird stuff happened around the band *this is where I forget some specific examples, but he had them* Then he became more difficult to be around, and the band started to fracture a little. "
I think this was the first time I'd heard the quote "Life is too short to be playing with Ritchie Blackmore" which gets attributed to Lord and Paice depending on the magazine. But I believe this was at least a decade before I'd read it in print.
On the other hand, Blackmore in his medieval band, Blackmore's Night is uncharacteristically affable and even takes a good natured ribbing here and there and still smiles, so maybe he is mellowing
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 17:58
Dig the stories. "Masques" is my second favorite Brand X, alb. Killer drumming.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 18:12

ok, well the cliff notes version:
"Well he was a difficult guy but of course he's Blackmore, so putting up with it to play in Rainbow was worth it. For a while. He fancied himself 'the prince of darkness' and some weird stuff happened around the band *this is where I forget some specific examples, but he had them* Then he became more difficult to be around, and the band started to fracture a little. "
I think this was the first time I'd heard the quote "Life is too short to be playing with Ritchie Blackmore" which gets attributed to Lord and Paice depending on the magazine. But I believe this was at least a decade before I'd read it in print.

That definitely would put me off.

On the other hand, Blackmore in his medieval band, Blackmore's Night is uncharacteristically affable and even takes a good natured ribbing here and there and still smiles, so maybe he is mellowing

Blackmore's Night is so jovial, it'd be hard (and comical) to imagine him pulling the same shtick.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 18:14
Billy Cobham
Lenny White
Tony Williams
Chester Thompson
Vinnie Colaiuta
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 01:43

+1 for Furio Chirico
The guy never saw a fill he didn't like! Amazingly busy drummer, and utterly unknown outside of Italy or hard core prog circles.
It’s amazing how unknown he is. Certainly one of the most underrated and overlooked fusion drummers.

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 07:55
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Furio Chirico ❤️

Effing amazing, though he can almost be too much. 

I was going to include Christian Vander in my initial list but I thought that may have been stretching it a bit. Also, I wasn't going to include Jack DeJohnette, as the OP said "no traditional jazz drummers", but yeah, he's gotta be allowed in. He's a fusion pioneer. What was I thinking? Put him in the top 5! 

I did include Christian Vander. he made some fusion albums, for example this one:

here a track:

it actually sounds like Zeuhl without vocals

This is very cool. Gonna need to check out the full album. 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 09:09
FIVE!!! There are so many!

Steve Gadd
Tony Williams
Paul Wertico
Vinny Colaiuta
Giulio Capiozzo

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 17:59
Pierre Moerlen
Robert Wyatt (love his drumming on "4")
Jon Hiseman
Pip Pyle
John  Marshall (especialy for his drumming for Nucleus)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 19:41
Originally posted by Artik Artik wrote:

John  Marshall (especialy for his drumming for Nucleus)

And for the drumming on the Volker Kriegel double album "Inside: Missing Link" (that should be much better known than it is; it is one of the very best albums in that category ever) and on the follow-up "Lift!"; here an example track from both:

Nobody ever talks about Volker Kriegel, which is most definitely a shame.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 08 2021 at 20:17

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 00:13
1. Bill Bruford
2. Billy Cobham
3. Lenny White
4. Alejandro Acuña
5. Mike Clark/Bill Summers

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 04:05
In no order

Billy Cobham
Lenny White
Narada Michael Walden
Alphonse Mouzon
Broof (of course)
Pierre Moerlen
John Marshall
Pip Pyle
Jon Hiseman
Christian Vander

let's just stay above the moral melee