Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you guys think of "The Final Cut"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you guys think of "The Final Cut"
    Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:59
Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" is one of my all time favorite albums, but i understand that a lot of people dislike it. I would like to know what you guys think of it. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:23
It perfectly exhibits a band in total disarray. The album is OK but sounds very much like the leftovers from previous sessions that it mostly is. I used to hate it but it has grown on me a bit more over the years. Still though, the classic Pink Floyd majesty ended with The Wall.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:26
It would have been great if it was released as a Roger Waters solo album. But alas, it was not.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:30
Not one of my top albums, but I certainly enjoy it very much. It's one of those albums that arise controversy and conflicted opinions. Every band that has a long discography is meant to have one of these. 
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:34
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It would have been great if it was released as a Roger Waters solo album. But alas, it was not.
I dont know though. Everybody says that it was bassically a Roger Waters solo album, but i honestly dont think that's the case. I mean, Rick didnt contribute to much because he was kicked out of the band, but certainly David Gimour did contribute a lot. I mean, several of the songs had some killer David Golmour solos, and he even sang on "Not Now John". I mean, Roger certainly was the leader of the project, but i dont think his taking over was enough to really make not Pink Floyd. That's at least the way i see it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:39
Didn't Roger Waters effectively become band leader from DSOTM onwards? The reality of a Dave Gilmour lead Floyd was not that great really. I prefer The Final Cut to anything after although I would like it more if When The Tigers Broke Free had been included. That's a total killer track if ever there was one. The inspiration left when Waters left.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:50
I don't play it as much as I should probably, I don't have any issue with it, not sure why people don't like it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:53
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't play it as much as I should probably, I don't have any issue with it, not sure why people don't like it.

main complaint is that it's depressing... 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:00
^ It's Floyd damn it! It's supposed to be depressing. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:06

LOL

don't know if it's "supposed to" LOL

I've also seen many calling Roger's vocal performance as whinny. LOL
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:12
I suppose it's where the Roger template came unstuck. The orchestra compensating for the lack of Rick still dates it. Some lyrics still stand up. Some great moments. Just not enough to make a better album. If the purpose was to make an album that stands still and seem antiquated. They won that.
A pity as I really love the cover and artwork.
There has been an expensive book written about this album. But you have had to have already bought the expensive book about The Wall.
I'm just not intrigued enough. But still say the making of The Wall Movie broke the band. Between The Final Cut and The Wall, no act has ever sounded as burnt out of new ideas than Pink Floyd did on that album, for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:45
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Didn't Roger Waters effectively become band leader from DSOTM onwards? The reality of a Dave Gilmour lead Floyd was not that great really. I prefer The Final Cut to anything after although I would like it more if When The Tigers Broke Free had been included. That's a total killer track if ever there was one. The inspiration left when Waters left.
Exactly I agree. I mean, I still like the post Waters material, but it doesn't even come close to the stuff they put out when Waters was in the band. I will say though, the later versions of the album and the one that is up on Spotify do include "When The Tigers Broke Free". 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 10:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

LOL

don't know if it's "supposed to" LOL

I've also seen many calling Roger's vocal performance as whinny. LOL

I dont see the album as whiny, i see it as sad, very sad, but in a good way. "The Final Cut" touches me emotionally much more than any other album ever has. Whenever i hear "The Gunners Dream", I get goose bumps because the music is so deeply sad. I see "The Final Cut" as effectively turning the anger from "The Wall" and "Animals" into sadness. I dont see him as whining, i see him a mourning.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 12:25
My least favorite Floyd album and one that shows the complete dissolution of everything great about Floyd. Waters great ideas with Gilmours & Wrights musicianship. They all needed each other. It's the only one I ever got rid of. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 13:08
What do I think of it? Actually, I try not to.  Wink

All kidding aside I actually don't think it's that bad. Not one of PF's best but still decent enough imo. It was actually the first album I bought by them. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 13:37
Back when I was much younger and felt crappy, putting this album on used to cheer me up because it would mean there was another bloke out there more depressed than me. It's also a good album to listen to while you're in the middle of spreading an entire jar of mayonnaise all over the kitchen counters.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 15:06
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Back when I was much younger and felt crappy, putting this album on used to cheer me up because it would mean there was another bloke out there more depressed than me. It's also a good album to listen to while you're in the middle of spreading an entire jar of mayonnaise all over the kitchen counters.

Well the mayonase thing is gross but i agree with what your saying. I think that it is a great album, a pure gem, but i think it is really sad and depressing, which i think is the big reason people are put off by it.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 15:23
Sorry, not a fan. I've tried on multiple occasions to give it yet another chance to woo me. But the woo is more like
"Woo...I  think I might hurl !"

Not Now John is the only listenable track for me. Probably the only LP I don't regret getting rid of, although I still have the CD.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 15:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

main complaint is that it's depressing... 

True but that's what you get from Mr Waters, he's such a barrel full of laughs!! But really, many of their albums are depressing.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 17:32
I won't listen to it anymore. It is Pink Floyd's In Through the Out Door...or maybe that was Zeppelin's Final Cut. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>