Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you guys think of "The Final Cut"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 18:41
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I won't listen to it anymore. It is Pink Floyd's In Through the Out Door...or maybe that was Zeppelin's Final Cut. 
What? Bruh, "In Through The Out Door" is a great album too. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 18:58

I won't listen to it anymore. It is Pink Floyd's In Through the Out Door...or maybe that was Zeppelin's Final Cut. 

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 19:55
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

What? Bruh, "In Through The Out Door" is a great album too. 
Seconded ! Thumbs Up  (But not TOO, Final cut still sucks, sorry bro)
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 23:47
Stellar recording.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 00:17
I would've commented, but I've already been there and done that on SteveG's thread on the same topic. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 27 2021 at 00:18
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 00:52
I personally love TFC - I find it a more satisfying & coherent album than The Wall.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 02:18
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I personally love TFC - I find it a more satisfying & coherent album than The Wall.

Love both, but disagree

The Wall's storyline is easily understood (further helped by the movie a couple of years later), while TFC's needs a fair amount of concentration.
In other words, I got TW almost immediately, but TFC took a fair while (the "grower" album par excellence) and even the return to piano & organ was surprising (after TW's synth fest), at the time were synths were invading even guitar power trios like Rush.
The TFC videoclips film helped understand where Roger was getting at, but even then, it was not a cinch.

A bit the problem of all these Waters solo album concept: maybe too self-centered, as if he (Roger) expected us to be in his head.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 02:24
I have always had a difficult time with The Final Cut. I too think it should have been a Waters’ solo album as it never felt like a Floyd joint to these ears. It sounds like The Wall 2 but in an infinitely more sterile dressing.
The Wall was certainly also very much a personal thing for Waters but when you hear that thing over live albums you get ‘Pink Floyd’..mostly because I think the band generally backed him up on this very personal journey. I could never imagine Floyd doing The Final Cut live and sounding like ‘Pink Floyd’...but maybe that’s just my very biased take
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 02:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I have always had a difficult time with The Final Cut. I too think it should have been a Waters’ solo album as it never felt like a Floyd joint to these ears. It sounds like The Wall 2 but in an infinitely more sterile dressing.
The Wall was certainly also very much a personal thing for Waters but when you hear that thing over live albums you get ‘Pink Floyd’..mostly because I think the band generally backed him up on this very personal journey. I could never imagine Floyd doing The Final Cut live and sounding like ‘Pink Floyd’...but maybe that’s just my very biased take

You'd have to try to imagine what the TFC album would've sounded like with Rick Wright still in band.

After all, Wright was a piano & organ dude before being a synth player.
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 02:46
That’s my point though. It didn’t seem like the rest of the band was into the thing which is obvious when you find out how it was recorded.
My tip for Rog at the time would probably have sounded somewhat close to: if the rest of the band doesn’t seem remotely interested in your venture, do it under a different moniker.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 03:32
That for me is the one downside to TFC, suffering from what I call 'lack of Rick' - as did The Wall to an extent.  For me, Rick's lush keyboards are an integral part of the Floydian sound... but as we all know, Roger was taking totalitarian control, and DG and NM seemed to be just going through the motions when making TFC.  I still love it though as it is all part of the Floydian heritage.

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 04:28
It's another facet to Pink Floyd. We'd Syd and Rick's collab on Piper, the four some on most of the rest with Water Setting the Controls for the Heart of the band roughly from Animals to The Final Cut. Then the DG led version. One has to adjust the mind set rather than get bogged down in media influence.

I think TFC is excellent with links to The Wall in terms of the orchestrations and moving the war context from the Second War to that of the Malvinas. Er, Falklands. His point is that nothing changes with the doing and dying. DG contributed guitar with some as usual fine solos. Not the first and only time Floyd have used collaborators from outside. (Piper was a collaboration on the inside than out).

Thematically it's more oriented to Bring The Boys Back Home than Comfortably Numb which may have wrong footed some. Including me, it took ages to get into this album. It's austere and intellectual and has to be understood and accepted on those terms not something for most rock fans, even proving a challenge for the creme de la creme of rock audiences - the prog rock crowd. It is precise on it's locations and themes which does make it a period piece unlike the universal themes of Dark Side.

As for depressing, well who listens to PF for jolly japes? It is not mysterious and Waters does most of the work a listener might do, ensuring nothing is open to interpretation. There is no real cathartic element to it unlike most Floyd albums and the emotional impact is very distant.

It stiffed in the US, a mere 3 million sold. Possibly one or two since.

I wonder how it would be if Waters toured The Final Cut as he did The Wall....

Axisus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axisus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 05:20
Damn! just posted a reply and the forum lost it! Doh!

Here's the gist of it:

I hated the Final cut when it came out. It was a massive disappointment after the Wall, which was an incredible album. It just seemed ...... boring. Played it a few times then gave up.

Fast forward a few decades - last year I really fancied hearing it again, so I bought a CD and played it a lot on my commute. Finally, it clicked for me, and I now see it as a very interesting album. In fact I probably rank it as my 5th fave Floyd album.

Edited by Axisus - March 27 2021 at 05:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 06:26
And it makes for a more complete album if you get one of the more recent reissues that includes 'When the Tiger's Broke Free' (from the film of The Wall).

Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 08:24
It's one of those album I was suprised to know so many people have troubles to appreciate. I don't undertstand why. For me, if You like The wall, you should like The final cut. None of them is my favourite Floyd album, but both seem to be of the same kind. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 11:25
Some dismiss TFC as 'stuff leftover from The Wall' - it is way more than that.

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 12:27
It is brilliant. So wonderfully self indulgent.  And great use of brass
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 12:34
Not as great as their 70s stuff, but I think its their last good album.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

That’s my point though. It didn’t seem like the rest of the band was into the thing which is obvious when you find out how it was recorded.
My tip for Rog at the time would probably have sounded somewhat close to: if the rest of the band doesn’t seem remotely interested in your venture, do it under a different moniker.

Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

That for me is the one downside to TFC, suffering from what I call 'lack of Rick' - as did The Wall to an extent.  For me, Rick's lush keyboards are an integral part of the Floydian sound... but as we all know, Roger was taking totalitarian control, and DG and NM seemed to be just going through the motions when making TFC.  I still love it though as it is all part of the Floydian heritage.

That's my point, though

Gilmour and Wright spent all of their musical ideas on their solo albums, while Roger waqs busy saving the band from bankruptcy. The Wall was all his except for two leftovers (Numb & Run Like Hell >> actually that first popped up during Animals >> sounds like it too) from Gilmour not used on the solo album.
At least David contributed to TW, while Wright sabotaged it by taking his holidays once the studio had been pais (which was financial murder for a band just escaping bankruptcy). So he got the boot, by everyone (not just Roger)
Ditto in 83, Gilmour had nothing to propose for Roger... or holding/hoarding it for the mediocre About Face

Edited by Sean Trane - March 27 2021 at 13:44
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 14:02
Now, I may overinterpret some of the considerations above, but I cannot follow this discussion or reasoning of "what ifs"... The Final Cut is an album published under the name of Pink Floyd. But whatever... If it was under the name of Roger Waters or even Britney Spears, it doesn't change a bit of the music that is on that album (though Britney Spears fans might be surprised if it was issued under her name...).

Personally, I like TFC. It's not their best, but still very enjoyable. And yes, it announces (or continues, if you prefer) the direction Roger Waters went into. Fine with me. It is what it is; it's maybe not what you would have wanted it to be, but well, you're not Pink Floyd (or Roger Waters, or Britney Spears...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>