Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you guys think of "The Final Cut"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 02:28
Forgettable.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 14:17
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Didn't Roger Waters effectively become band leader from DSOTM onwards? The reality of a Dave Gilmour lead Floyd was not that great really. I prefer The Final Cut to anything after although I would like it more if When The Tigers Broke Free had been included. That's a total killer track if ever there was one. The inspiration left when Waters left.
I don't see it that way at all. Roger was the bass player and lyricist for the band and provided the concepts for the albums. David was the guitarist and shared the vocals with Roger. Both shared the musical credits for the songs while after WYWH Rick Wright retreated as a song writer. I don't see why one band member is placed above another on the basis that he writes the lyrics. The way a band should work is as a democracy.

While I agree with your assessment of the roles in PF, not all bands are democracies, nor can they always be. Sometimes there are some members that are fine just being a player and nothing more. Or are simply unable to contribute as a composer or lyricist. Other times, the group is simply the vessel of one person's vision, like the Mothers of Invention.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 17:13
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Didn't Roger Waters effectively become band leader from DSOTM onwards? The reality of a Dave Gilmour lead Floyd was not that great really. I prefer The Final Cut to anything after although I would like it more if When The Tigers Broke Free had been included. That's a total killer track if ever there was one. The inspiration left when Waters left.

I don't see it that way at all. Roger was the bass player and lyricist for the band and provided the concepts for the albums. David was the guitarist and shared the vocals with Roger. Both shared the musical credits for the songs while after WYWH Rick Wright retreated as a song writer. I don't see why one band member is placed above another on the basis that he writes the lyrics. The way a band should work is as a democracy.

While I agree with your assessment of the roles in PF, not all bands are democracies, nor can they always be. Sometimes there are some members that are fine just being a player and nothing more. Or are simply unable to contribute as a composer or lyricist. Other times, the group is simply the vessel of one person's vision, like the Mothers of Invention.
That's right. Bands have leaders. Usually the alpha males.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 19:33
For me this was a great follow up album to the Wall, although obviously, an entirely Waters project in regard to composition, lyrics, musical direction. I loved the somber tone, the look back to war time/post war, and war in general. It touches on love, loss, war, betrayal; it is bitter, political, and morbidly optimistic. For those reasons alone, i give it 4 stars. 
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 17:37
I was told it was lousy, so being somewhat of a contrarian I had to check it out. I picked it up at a HalfPrice Books for dirt cheap.

I would agree that it is dark and somber. There’s nothing overtly bad about it, but the songs were not very memorable to me at first listen. I enjoy a good hook or riff or chord progression, which I’d come to expect from Pink Floyd.

Sometimes I want to hear something moody so maybe this will grow on me in time.

For now ... I’m gonna run ... run .. run ... run ...

MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 21:09
I've always been a bigger fan than most. But I was a teen and a huge PF fan so I devoured it from the minute it came out. Yeah, the lyrical topics are repetitive after we just had Roger ruminating on losing his dad to the war through much of The Wall. 

But I like the music. At this point, Waters had perfected the sonic dynamics that exemplified Floyd in that era. Effortlessly switching from loud to soft. Also, it contains one of the absolute gems (hidden or not) within the Floyd catalog: The Gunner's Dream. Not saying it's the best song in their library, but there isn't one better IMO. I even did a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhN841G4PE&t=2s&ab_channel=TheRock%26RollSoapBox

I understand why many don't like it. It's depressing. It's dated. It's closer to a Waters solo album than a true PF album.  But it's vastly superior to either of the three post-Waters PF efforts and better than anything that came out before DSOTM (Meddle and AHM about the same as TFC).  

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 22:13
^ For me, I guess it does sound very Waters like Floyd, but it really misses the classic Floyd sound, just because of the lack of Wright... and the shorter songs. There are some songs that I do love on this album, though (The Heroe's Return... though the whole both parts together that was released as a single, The Fletcher Memorial Home, and the title songs are my very favourite here). About The Gunner's Dream, I found it good, but not really among my favourites... though I remember hearing a bootleg a long time ago (with too bad of a sound quality, unfortunatley), from Waters solo tour with Clapton on guitars, and it had a really great version of this song (as well as perhaps my favourite version of Nobody Home).
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 01:26
Yeah, that was likely from the The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking tour in 1984.  I saw that tour and thought the show was amazing. It did not, however, get good reviews and the arena wasn't even full. Honestly, it felt like a past-his-prime artist trying to hold onto past glory...but I loved it. 

Mostly because I loved Pros and Cons and still do. I rank it higher than any PF album other than the DSOTM / WYWH / Animals / Wall group. 

Edited by MrMan2000 - April 14 2021 at 01:28
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 02:29
I think it is daring and somewhat underrated. Not a bad album for me, but not excellent either.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 21:06
Originally posted by MrMan2000 MrMan2000 wrote:

Yeah, that was likely from the The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking tour in 1984.  I saw that tour and thought the show was amazing. It did not, however, get good reviews and the arena wasn't even full. Honestly, it felt like a past-his-prime artist trying to hold onto past glory...but I loved it. 

Mostly because I loved Pros and Cons and still do. I rank it higher than any PF album other than the DSOTM / WYWH / Animals / Wall group. 

I wish he would release an album from that tour... I believe he has sound recordings from several or all shows, but no video. Still, it would be better than nothing. As for Pros, I find it nice, but nothing I really love... I prefer even The Final Cut over it, and among Roger's solo efforts, for me it is Amused to Death the best one... still, in most of his albums, I can only imagine what we might have gotten if Pink Floyd had been with him to give him some input (specially with Amused to Death itself, and his latest one).
Michael919 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 14:01
This thread prompted me to listen to this album for the first time in about 30 years. Back then, I listened to a lot of Floyd, including TFC. CD's came out and I had the entire PF studio catalogue replaced as priority along with Yes. There were times when I would listen to TFC quite a lot. 

I liked it a lot then and, at the time, I didn't really care much that it was less of a true PF album then the others. I liked the tunes. I liked the somber atmosphere. I like how it made me feel. 

So, here I am, listening to it, The Gunner's Dream is on, wondering if I might tear up right when Roger sings. "and as the teardrops rise to meet the comfort of the band". Sax solo. Wow. Old friend. Let's not go another 30 years.

Edited by Michael919 - April 24 2021 at 14:03
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 14:29
Originally posted by Michael919 Michael919 wrote:

This thread prompted me to listen to this album for the first time in about 30 years. Back then, I listened to a lot of Floyd, including TFC. CD's came out and I had the entire PF studio catalogue replaced as priority along with Yes. There were times when I would listen to TFC quite a lot. 

I liked it a lot then and, at the time, I didn't really care much that it was less of a true PF album then the others. I liked the tunes. I liked the somber atmosphere. I like how it made me feel. 

So, here I am, listening to it, The Gunner's Dream is on, wondering if I might tear up right when Roger sings. "and as the teardrops rise to meet the comfort of the band". Sax solo. Wow. Old friend. Let's not go another 30 years.

It is fantastic when you spin an album you haven’t listened to in years, and wonder beforehand whether it is still what it was then, and as enjoyable, and you discover that it is, and, even more, get new stuff out of it. Clap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 15:13
It’s not a favourite of mine. But whenever i listen to it it’s a great album
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 17:36
I think it's a great album, I love it.  
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 00:18
The real acid test of it would be: play it to someone without telling them it's Pink Floyd and see what they really think of it! Personally I find it uninspired and boring.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 12:27
Hi,

I DON'T! (even think about it ... )

After spending money on the album and sitting down and hearing it, I realized it was a mistake ... it should have never been considered a PF album ... and even though a song or two were played in a few stations, in some ways ... I didn't like THE WALL Part 69 that was not included in the original, and one or two more songs added to make it like it was the band. It wasn't!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 20:56
^ Yeah, I think that was one of Gilmour's complaints about the album. He thought that if the songs weren't enough to be on The Wall, then why should be good enough for the new album. However, as far as I'm concerned, there are a few songs that would have been a great addition on The Wall album.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 21:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Yeah, I think that was one of Gilmour's complaints about the album. He thought that if the songs weren't enough to be on The Wall, then why should be good enough for the new album. However, as far as I'm concerned, there are a few songs that would have been a great addition on The Wall album.

Hi,

Some of the stuff that was in that album was actually a part of the original WALL which had about 15 minutes taken out ... presumably to make sure that all of it could fit into 2 albums!

If you take the story material from that album, you will find that they fit into the story of the original ... and Roger never really explained that, and I do not think he will ... he knows that the story got screwed up, but he's not going to say that the record company told them they had to make sure it fit 2 albums!

There is just too much ... hidden that we can not see!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 21:39
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

"When the Tigers Broke Free" was part of The Wall session and was part of the movie. It ended up on The Final Cut, but contextually it makes for more sense in the movie than on that later album. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
jlneudorf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlneudorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 23:08
I love The Final Cut and I think it sits perfectly beside The Wall, both musically and thematically. Sure some of it is a bit depressing and given the subject matter I wouldn't expect it not to be. Some great tracks including one on my all time faves Two Suns in the Sunset.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>