Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my new Dark Side of The Moon vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my new Dark Side of The Moon vinyl
    Posted: March 28 2021 at 10:57
I got my new Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon vinyl today, i made a video of myself unboxing/unwrapping it live.   Looks like the version i got is the 2016 European version, from looking up the catalouge number and barcode on discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/9287809

Here's the video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHUyYluLSqE
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 11:13
Insert Movie

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 11:25
Great job on the unwrapping video.  I've got the same pressing as I've been trying to get the entire PF library with that same reissue.  So far I've got the remasters for "Piper at the Gates of Dawn", "Saucerful of Secrets", "Obscurred by Clouds", "Relics", "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here", "Animals", "The Wall" and "The Division Bell".  I know the original DSotM came with certain surprises, but I don't remember if it was the same posters and etc either.  

By the way, I'd be happy to watch any other unwrapping videos you decide to put out.  Yeah, I'm a vinyl geek.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 11:50
Nice post. I'd tell you to enjoy it but I already know that you will. Cheers.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 14:05
The same posters and cards came with the original...I still have them.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 14:24
One thing I'm curious about: When I first heard Dark Side of the Moon, not long after it first came out, I very much enjoyed the track "Any Colour You Like". I no longer have that vinyl record, and all recordings of that track I've come across in more recent times has been ruined by reducing in the mix my favourite part at 0:56 to almost inaudibility. I'm wondering if this latest vinyl release is like the original vinyl Thumbs Up, or like the more recent releases Thumbs Down.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - March 28 2021 at 14:33
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 16:17
Exactly what part do you think you're loosing?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Old Father Thames View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Father Thames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 16:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The same posters and cards came with the original...I still have them.
Actually, the posters were different. The pyramids were green with a different angle and the band poster was vertical with different shots. The stickers look to be the same.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 11:21
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

I got my new Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon vinyl today, i made a video of myself unboxing/unwrapping it live.   Looks like the version i got is the 2016 European version, from looking up the catalouge number and barcode on discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/9287809

Here's the video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHUyYluLSqE

That's awesome, nice video and can hear your enthusiasm!! I have several DSOtM versions on LP, of course an early US pressing which I don't play anymore because as a kid I did not have a good turntable and cartridge and its not in good shape anymore. I have the one you have the 2016 issue which is remastered by Bernie Grundman, you should have BG in the deadwax, that is my normal rotation copy.

The one to get, if you can, is the 30th anniversary issue cut by Doug Sax and Kevin Gray, that copy is brilliant sounding!! It slams the 2016 version...The bass on it is so deep and detailed, it is cut a bit hot in a couple of spots so depending on your cartridge setup you might get some sibilance. It has so much more dynamics and resolution than the 2016 version, but....has been out of print and goes for uber money now. I only play my copy when I want my ears to have an orgasm. Clap

After that unless you wanna spend about US$500-$2000, or more!!, for an original UK press or one of the MoFi pressings have fun! If you can find an early UK pressing with A2/B2 in better than VG condition buy it, but they start at US500. The A3/B3 is cheaper, yea I know define cheaper!! LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - March 29 2021 at 11:23
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 12:14
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Exactly what part do you think you're loosing?

I don't know how to answer this. At 0:53 to 0:56 there is a change to some different notes which should lead to some higher pitch notes at 0:56 but which are not there, although that melodic line does become more audible a couple of seconds later. It may not seem much, but the void I hear at the 0:56 mark ruins the track for me. And because that is my favourite track, it actually ruins the album for me.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 14:24
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

Hi,

If this recording is the English version, this would probably be worth it. The American version was a copy of some tape found in the trash cans in Hollywood, and the many bits and pieces in between the songs was messed with. 

Also, the English posters were differently colored from the American posters, if I remember correctly but I can not verify that at this time.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 14:49
I'm looking at my original US first issue...the colors are different on the pyramids poster, green in US, and their position is different..and the Floyd pics are different with the members in differnt places on the poster and slightly different head shots and Floyd lettering...but the colors are basically the same ,
The card stickers are the same but slightly different shades also.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 29 2021 at 14:51
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 02:09
Ok, I'll be getting that too! Great album. Great all round package. Thanks for sharing this.

A good idea for a thread would be vids of forum members taking about their favourite albums, new packages etc. It's good to put faces (or jumpers) to names :-)
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 12:33
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Ok, I'll be getting that too! Great album. Great all round package. Thanks for sharing this.

A good idea for a thread would be vids of forum members taking about their favourite albums, new packages etc. It's good to put faces (or jumpers) to names :-)

Normally on the vinyl thread I will post pics and a quick impression of the packaging and sound quality if I have listened to it.
I suspect if we put these "vinyl" reviews anywhere else Dean will get mad and come back to PA from retirement......LOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply