Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I didnt realise how bad Crossleys were

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I didnt realise how bad Crossleys were
    Posted: March 28 2021 at 14:40
Yeah, im talking about the Crossley record players, that fold up like a small bulky briefcase.

I know thats the name of the main manufacturer for them in the USA, but over here in the UK, different manufactuers make them, like Denver and Vinyl Music On.     I bought my one in September last year because i was new to turntables and hadnt listened to one in years and felt too shy to spend much money on one (i listened to them often in the 80s as a child).

But all vinyl loving channels on youtube warn you against them, saying they sound bad, their designed bad and they will even slowley damage your records (mainly because they press down too hard on them).   When i was using it last year it made me think to myself "blimmen enry, i forgotten how bad vinyls sound".    Now i realise that they dont sound that bad at all, if you play them on a better turntable.   I recently got a Jam Spun Out one, as Amazon reduced them from £100 to £76.   My goodness, vinyls on them sound much better than on the Crossley.   Crossleys make vinyls sound like a cheap pair of earphones from your local market in comparison.    Yeah my advice to anyone is, dont waste your money on them crossleys, save a bit more and buy a better turntable instead.   Crossleys also make your records skip where other players would not.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 02:37
I'm not familiar with these record players, haven't played vinyl for years but I can't imagine a record player that folds up into a briefcase being that good. I had one when I was about 10 and it was rubbish but it was all I had. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 06:45
If it's and consolation, my first record player (age 13) was no great 5hit either. Mind you, I'm an old fart so technology was even worse back then.

Here's a shot of a record player that looks very similar to the one I can remember playing LP's like Trilogy, Machine Head and Alice Cooper on. By the time I was 15 I had bought a belt driven turntable and an integrated amp with 3 way speakers. Be patient and plan your investments.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 10:07
Older technology is not nessersarily worse.   For example i think audio and hi fi's from the 80s and early 90s is usually better than todays.

For example its harder to find a decent pair of in ear headphones now than what it was in the early 90s when i was in secondry school.    My friends got an old ghetto blaster from the 80s, and my goodness it dont half pack a punch.    If you still have vinyls of Machine Head (esp Burn My Eyes) and Alice Cooper and their in decent condition, they must be worth a fair bit now?.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 10:37
A near mint copy can go somewhere between $50 and $250 Canadian.

Unfortunately, my Machine head and all my Alice cooper was traded in back in the 80's CD rush days. Cry

I still have 1200 LP's and the most valuable one is probably worth around $350.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 11:16
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

If it's and consolation, my first record player (age 13) was no great 5hit either. Mind you, I'm an old fart so technology was even worse back then.

Here's a shot of a record player that looks very similar to the one I can remember playing LP's like Trilogy, Machine Head and Alice Cooper on. By the time I was 15 I had bought a belt driven turntable and an integrated amp with 3 way speakers. Be patient and plan your investments.

I worked all summer in a takeaway back in the 70s to be able to upgrade my record player in a case to something similar to this (but not in a case).

Edited by chopper - March 29 2021 at 11:16
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:42
I don't remember what brand it was, but definitely recall the fold up platter and the detachable speakers.

(side note)
I just love some of the British terminologies I read.
We say 'Take out' or 'Grab and Go'
Might be a fun thread...'Decypher the local slang'. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 17:29
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

Yeah, im talking about the Crossley record players, that fold up like a small bulky briefcase.

I know thats the name of the main manufacturer for them in the USA, but over here in the UK, different manufactuers make them, like Denver and Vinyl Music On.     I bought my one in September last year because i was new to turntables and hadnt listened to one in years and felt too shy to spend much money on one (i listened to them often in the 80s as a child).

But all vinyl loving channels on youtube warn you against them, saying they sound bad, their designed bad and they will even slowley damage your records (mainly because they press down too hard on them).   When i was using it last year it made me think to myself "blimmen enry, i forgotten how bad vinyls sound".    Now i realise that they dont sound that bad at all, if you play them on a better turntable.   I recently got a Jam Spun Out one, as Amazon reduced them from £100 to £76.   My goodness, vinyls on them sound much better than on the Crossley.   Crossleys make vinyls sound like a cheap pair of earphones from your local market in comparison.    Yeah my advice to anyone is, dont waste your money on them crossleys, save a bit more and buy a better turntable instead.   Crossleys also make your records skip where other players would not.
The Crossley are good for your kids or grandkids 1st turntable, and I would only play $1 records on them. I would not even consider them as "entry level". Your better off saving some money for a Project or Music Hall entry level table, prolly around $300-400 for a well made table that will not ruin your records, and you can always buy a better cartridge later on.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 17:33
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I don't remember what brand it was, but definitely recall the fold up platter and the detachable speakers.

(side note)
I just love some of the British terminologies I read.
We say 'Take out' or 'Grab and Go'
Might be a fun thread...'Decypher the local slang'. LOL

My wife is a Cajun Coon A$$, I have spent my life deciphering how her relatives in deep marsh Looosiana talk! LOL. I'm pretty good now, I still don't understand most of their Acadian French.........

The best ones from the South is "making groceries" and "cut the light on" 
 Post Reply Post Reply