Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums should i reveiw?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 00:07
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/UnreviewedAlbums.asp

Didn't know such list is available. Understandably the majority of items in it are singles, live releases, compilations etc. 
      So, is there a way to make a list containing only UNREVIEWED STUDIO ALBUMS? Smile

Just bringing this up. 
Even if no one can answer the question of listing only unreviewed studio albums, hopefully the idea of reviewing the unreviewed will be remembered by more people.

PS. I am so tired of newbies who write [mostly poor] reviews of THE MOST REVIEWED/RATED ALBUMS only. A lot of them lately. Unhappy

Edited by Matti - December 23 2021 at 04:43
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 08:05
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/UnreviewedAlbums.asp

Start from the top and let us know when you're done. LOL

Hi,

I appreciate this listing with one really bad side to it .... but this listing should be called THE SINGLES' LISTING THAT NEED A REVIEW ... and completely removed from the ALBUM REVIEWS as a listing. 

Why the fudge are we doing reviews of SINGLES, when the song should have been reviewed and mentioned on an album review?

Oh wait ... I'll review THE DOORS song "Light My Fire" and make sure I do the AM version (under 3 minutes) and trash it senseless for what it did to the original!

(Maybe we need a "mark" so we know the album is an album or the single is a single and the database will differentiate them properly! It would help cut down the "too much stuff that is basically a repeat of what is already there ... like M@X would not be  interested in making sure the database is better cleaned up so he doesn't have to do it!)

We need to get better than that! AND singles should not be reviewed UNLESS they are not in any album!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2021 at 08:30
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 09:50
^ A strangely harsh attack against single reviews... I feel a bit that I am in your firing line, true or false.

Sure, in general I -- as undoubtedly all of us -- prefer album reviews, but writing the premiere review for a single can be rewarding, with the opportunity to dig deeper into background information. Just like I did today with Talk Talk's Such a Shame, where also I personally learned something new. I hope other PA readers can also find something worthy from my sole single reviews. And remember, you're always free to ignore a review that you consider uninteresting.

As I'm free NOT to have ANY interest towards 652th review for one of the best known classic albums everybody knows, ie. a review without any new information.

If only we had that list for unreviewed STUDIO ALBUMS separately. I definitely would use it as an inspiration for what to review, and thus I'd review singles notably less than I tend to do.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 10:31

Sure, in general I -- as undoubtedly all of us -- prefer album reviews, but writing the premiere review for a single can be rewarding, with the opportunity to dig deeper into background information. Just like I did today with Talk Talk's Such a Shame, where also I personally learned something new. I hope other PA readers can also find something worthy from my sole single reviews. And remember, you're always free to ignore a review that you consider uninteresting.

As I'm free NOT to have ANY interest towards 652th review for one of the best known classic albums everybody knows, ie. a review without any new information.

Very much agree with all this. 

I think when you review a single, you'll find out new sides of a particular song and dig deeper in them, than when reviewing an album the said song is part of. Neither way is wrong, just a different approach. As long as you're a good reviewer of course. 

I've only written a handful of reviews but will do hopefully more in the future time/energy/motivation permitting. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 22:16

If only we had that list for unreviewed STUDIO ALBUMS separately. I definitely would use it as an inspiration for what to review, and thus I'd review singles notably less than I tend to do.

Hi,

I'm working through the list to see if I can scavenge it for albums that I can review ... but it will take a while ... I got past A and B and could only find 7 albums, that I might review, and will continue to do the list until I have a reasonable choice. But it will take a while. Looking at just A and B, took me over an hour to ensure I was getting the right stuff out!

A lot of unknowns though! That is good.

PS: Got through the list already and made me a small round of reviews to do. Lots of things missing, though, as compared to my collection!

Edited by moshkito - December 27 2021 at 10:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123