Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOP 20 RUSH Songs. Voting #20!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOP 20 RUSH Songs. Voting #20!
    Posted: April 02 2021 at 06:59
The premise of the project is self-explanatory. As determined in this preliminary thread, we are using a method already tested in a similar Genesis Project.

Every participant names three songs in order of preference:
1st = 4.5 points
2nd = 3 points
3rd = 2 points
After a couple of days (weeks, months Party) I add up your "points" and announce the winning song for a current spot. Then we move on and vote for the next spot. All points are reset.

Voting is closed.
No. 20 song is THE TREES

1. The Trees. 21.0 pts
2. Bastille Day. 18.0 pts
2. Witch Hunt. 12.5 pts
4. Closer to the Heart. 9.5 pts
5. One Little Victory. 8.5 pts

Edited by thief - April 09 2021 at 05:26
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 07:50
First time I saw Rush was in 1984  (Grace Under Pressure Tour)
Probably seen them 10 about times since that, Always a great show!

Anyway, Last one!

1. The Trees
2. The Enemy Within
3. Marathon
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 08:53
This will be a great playlist for sure, should be tagged here on PA for anyone just getting into Progressive Rock and experience one of the originators of Progressive Metal music. Would be nice to have seen more from the 90s to 2010s.
My playlist will always end with The Garden, such a special song considering the untimely loss of The Professor.

1. The Garden
2. Monkey Business
3. One Little Victory

LOL Clap

Edited by Catcher10 - April 02 2021 at 08:54
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 09:17
1. Losing it
2. Headlong Flight
3. Secret Touch
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 10:58
1. Natural Science
2. Monkey Business
3. Marathon

Just bubbling under:
Losing it
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 16:36
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

1. Natural Science
2. Monkey Business
3. Marathon

Just bubbling under:
Losing it

Natural Science is already on the list...
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 18:49
Little change.

1. The Trees
2. The Enemy Within'
3. Manhattan Project
Not for rent. To any God or government.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 02:14
I only saw them once and that was on the Vapor Trails tour in the UK. They hadn't toured in Europe for a long time so it was a special concert for me. I was very impressed with Alex Lifeson , great stage presence!

1. Animate (I'm very surprised this hasn't picked up votes from anyone apart from me)
2. Manhattan Project 
3. One Little Victory
killerd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 02:40
1.One Little Victory
2.The Necromancer
3.Monkey Business
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 04:36
The Trees
Time Stands Still
Mission
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 04:57
Last attempt:

1. Witch Hunt
2. Losing It
3. Halo Effect
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 08:59
1. Bastille Day
2. Witch Hunt
3. Closer to the Heart

Hard to believe that #1 and #3 aren't already in there. Had to look several times.
First time I saw Rush was in 1979 on the Hemispheres tour. The power went out in the middle of Cygnus X-1 and the theater went dark and all you could hear was an unamplified drum roll before Neil figured out what was going on. Crowd chanted "finish it!" when the power came on ten minutes later, but they started up part 2 instead.

I have played Bastille Day on every Bastille Day since 1982. Including once in Europe where I had to go find a cassette of it used in Holland to keep the streak going Smile
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 09:27
 1 - Closer To The Heart
 2 - The Trees
 3  - Mission
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 10:30
1. The Trees
2. The Twilight Zone
3. A Passage To Bangkok
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 10:50
1. Bastille Day
2. The Necromancer
3. Witch Hunt

Would love to see all of these on there, but I think Bastille Day has the best chance. Some honorable mentions:
-Distant Early Warning: probably my favorite 80s Rush track post-Moving Pictures
-Show Don't Tell: I recently listened to Presto for the first time, and I thought the opener was honestly an outstanding track
-Animate: It hasn't made it into any of my votes, but it certainly is an excellent song
-Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Seven Cities of Gold: Probably my personal favorite songs off of Clockwork Angels, which I think is the best thing they ever did after Moving Pictures; would have loved to see anything from that album get on the list, but I'm not surprised it didn't.

I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 12:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I only saw them once and that was on the Vapor Trails tour in the UK. They hadn't toured in Europe for a long time so it was a special concert for me. I was very impressed with Alex Lifeson , great stage presence!

1. Animate (I'm very surprised this hasn't picked up votes from anyone apart from me)
2. Manhattan Project 
3. One Little Victory

One of my favs from the 90's Rush, but then there are so many that should be on this list.....I would have liked to see more from the 90s-2012.

Still a great playlist
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 18:40
1. Anthem
2. Distant Early Warning
3. Time Stand Still
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 10:35
Bastille Day
A passage to Bangkok
Manhatten project
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 23:46
Bastille Day
Witch Hunt
Animate

A little change for the last rodeo. Bastille isn't my favorite off Caress of Steel, but it certainly has the best shot of making it! It's very uplifting, almost "anthemic", no wonder they played it live extensively... I think it'd make a great closer to our playlist, honestly!
Witch Hunt is another kinda overlooked track, ofc it comes from the most revered album, but never left Sawyer or Limelight shadow. Also I admire how someone_else championed this song for months and would love to see it on the list - probably a lock if we made a TOP30 instead.
Animate, well, I listened to it twice this morning after reading this thread and it's a stellar 90s song, let's give it some love Cool

Don't really have any stories to add, but a good friend of mine spent a summer in Canada in 2010 or so. He was very much into mathcore, metalcore, some other extreme subgenres, hip hop... but not a prog fan by any stretch of imagination. Two months there and, when he came back, he couldn't stop listening to RUSH. Now THAT'S one hell of an impact!

Edited by thief - April 06 2021 at 23:46
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 02:40
AND THE WINNER IS

THE TREES

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
 Post Reply Post Reply